7.0 Arcane - conserve/burn phases

Mage
Is Arcane particularly tricky to manage timing right now, or am I just doing something wrong.

I'm coming it at the bottom of the DPS in the Timewalking dungeons I've done today (2 so far) - where gear is basically normalized between us all... so the difference is basically skill and/or class.

I'm leaning on it probably being skill...

So I'm wondering what people do to manage the balance between mana conservation and arcane charges.

I seem to get way too few procs of Arcane Missiles... implying I need to change something, or figure out a way to keep spamming Arcane Blast more... or something.
I hear arcane mages are just garbage right now until we can level to 110 and you can get whatever it is that is supposed to bloat your mana pool to make arcane viable again. Frost is in a very weak spot right now too, but can perform decently depending on what you are fighting. For longer medium to longer fights, Fire is shining like, well, a bright fire.
You're using Arcane Blast on trash I assume. Unless it's one target, that's not really the way to go.

If you're doing dungeons, just spam Arcane Explosion, using Arcane Missile procs to regenerate mana where possible. Dump your charges at 4 stacks with a Resonance enhanced Arcane Barrage. Pick up Ice Floes and use it to position yourself in the direction of the next trash group as to give yourself more effective time to drink.

Drink as much as possible after every fight. You don't have to go to full. Pick up Shimmer so you can double blink to the next fight ASAP without getting left behind.

When it comes to bosses, just burn the bosses as fast as you can using AP. They don't last longer than a burst -> evocation -> burst cycle. If they do the dps is pretty low to begin with.
Well. I haven't try timewalking with arcane yet. But I did leveling dungeons as an arcane mage. And I top damage on all of them.

What I did was keep 4 AC up as much as possible. Arcane blast when there are 1-2 targets. Arcane explosion when there are 3+ targets. Evocation as many time as possible. There will be down time to let you regen mana. But arcane charge take forever to drop now. You can even eat during down time. And use shimmer to catch up. Using Ginvis then eat something should be possible. Haven't tried yet, though. Only barrage when evocation is on cooldown and just before boss.

Basically you'll want to maximize damage per mana and mana regen instead of dps. Since you are not press for time like raid boss fight.
I find spamming Arcane Explosion is burning down my mana even faster than Arcane Blast was...
I'm a bit confused too.
Pre-patch I was usually at least top of the chart or in second on dungeons. I'm a 705 mage right now.

After the patch, I've been doing time walking dungeons and I've been at the bottom of the chart.

The rotation is very simple now, and almost impossible to mess up, seeing as you don't have to keep your mana above 92%.

I'm thinking arcane got a pretty bad nerf at the moment, and until we hit 110 and get our artifact weapon, and blizzard tune us some more, we won't see our glory restored.
07/26/2016 11:50 PMPosted by Paititi
I find spamming Arcane Explosion is burning down my mana even faster than Arcane Blast was...

That's the idea. There is no need for keeping mana high anymore. Well, except for some talent. Use a lot of mana but be sure not to run out.
The only 7.0.3 guide that I have seen is on icy veins. Nothing up on altered time that I can find.

You no longer have to be concerned with keeping mana above 93% for max conserve damage since our new mastery does not take into account mana % for damage. However, if you perform the typical 4 x arcane blast then Evo at 4 charges, you will drop to 70% mana and keep going mana negative for each rotation. Icy veins recommends using barrage at 3 stacks or maybe even 2 depending on how low your mana is. The idea is to have enough mana to do a full burn when Evo is coming off cooldown. With time warp and the Archie trinket, it is possible to go out of mana even with 70% mana. You still have to hope for missile procs. I've also read that you prioritize missles over AB during your burn not only for mana regen but they apparently hit harder.....according to icy veins.

To maximize conserve damage, make use of a few ROP, when you have 3 or 4 charges and you have a missle orc or two. Charged up is a nice skill since you can cast 3 AB then barrage then use charged up and barrage again or AB then barrage using any missile procs. Make use of Acrane explosion...the damage is huge but it sucks mana worse than AB. I had a 700k burst on a trash pack. Popped charged up, cast RoP and AP and spammed arcane expoison..it was shocking how much damage it did.

You are not the only one having problems. My first mythic dungeon after the prepatch, I was out dps'd by the DK tank. Keep at it and know it will get better.
That's what I was mad about lol. Like wtf, we shouldn't be out dps'd by dk tanks lol!
07/26/2016 11:50 PMPosted by Paititi

It's still far more efficient overall dps.

Dump at 4 Arcane Charges. There's no need to cast a fully charged Arcane Explosion as you do a !@#$-ton of damage as it is.

If you do that you won't run out of mana (as quickly).
Actually the tanks in my raid team are doing scary dps right now. So I don't doubt that you are legitimately getting out dps'd by a DK tank.
93% doesn't matter any more as noted by others. What I found is that you want enough mana to cast through the 10 sec ROP and the other 10 sec buff CD (can't recall the name). For me that seems to be around 1,000 mana. When evo is on CD my "conserve" phase target is staying above the 1k mana part so when evo is up and all my CD's are up I can burn down to 0 mana and then evo up. Don't now if that's correct or not..but it's what I've come up with so far.
Spec to arcane orb, and arcane explosion as well as arcane familiar for the mana increase.

For timewalking, above posters are correct, drink between every trash pack.

For first pack, open with orb to grab charges. Fire off any missiles you have then move in with arcane explosion unless it is just 1-2. Then do single target rotation.

Drink fast, blink to catch up. Once tank has next pack, barrage then arcane orb to grab stacks right back up to 4. Fire off any missiles you have, then move in with arcane explosion.

Rinse and repeat. Your numbers will look fine.
To update. I did try to 4 AC the whole dungeon in timewalking last night. I get around 3-5k dps. Usually top on the meter. Got beaten by that rouge once and warrior tank in the other. I get around 2-3k on fire. Haven't try frost.

Wonder if this will work on mythic+ dungeon. I guess it'd depend on wheter time to kill mobs is fast enough.

As for tank problem. I seem to get tanks that keep running off. Like they were trying to outrun the team and do some damage first.
I was doing the arcane explosion rotation on multiple mobs in a regular heroic and damn, it generates some serious numbers. I was glad to be back on the top of the meter haha
07/27/2016 06:00 AMPosted by Blastinya
The only 7.0.3 guide that I have seen is on icy veins. Nothing up on altered time that I can find.

You no longer have to be concerned with keeping mana above 93% for max conserve damage since our new mastery does not take into account mana % for damage. However, if you perform the typical 4 x arcane blast then Evo at 4 charges, you will drop to 70% mana and keep going mana negative for each rotation. Icy veins recommends using barrage at 3 stacks or maybe even 2 depending on how low your mana is. The idea is to have enough mana to do a full burn when Evo is coming off cooldown. With time warp and the Archie trinket, it is possible to go out of mana even with 70% mana. You still have to hope for missile procs. I've also read that you prioritize missles over AB during your burn not only for mana regen but they apparently hit harder.....according to icy veins.

To maximize conserve damage, make use of a few ROP, when you have 3 or 4 charges and you have a missle orc or two. Charged up is a nice skill since you can cast 3 AB then barrage then use charged up and barrage again or AB then barrage using any missile procs. Make use of Acrane explosion...the damage is huge but it sucks mana worse than AB. I had a 700k burst on a trash pack. Popped charged up, cast RoP and AP and spammed arcane expoison..it was shocking how much damage it did.

You are not the only one having problems. My first mythic dungeon after the prepatch, I was out dps'd by the DK tank. Keep at it and know it will get better.

Spot on, it's like I'm reading arcane posts from Wrath era arcane all over again. Didn't get around to playing with arcane much last night but until level 110 seems like 3 stack then barrage if you have no missile procs is the way to go at the moment. Did pretty good sustained damage doing that, or at least alternating between three and four stacks depending on how you like to ride the edge of your mana.

I'm sitting around 26% mastery so that's 26% mana regen, not sure how much mastery anyone else is rocking but could also be something to consider even though it's pretty late into the expansion to really worry about optimizing stats.
from playing the beta, your mana pool bloats massively fairly quickly. At level 107, I have about as much health as I do mana, 800 or so k..

compared to live where I have 400k or so hp, and barely 200k mana.

It'll get better folks, it works fine in legion
07/26/2016 11:54 PMPosted by Rywhiskey
I'm a bit confused too.
Pre-patch I was usually at least top of the chart or in second on dungeons. I'm a 705 mage right now.

After the patch, I've been doing time walking dungeons and I've been at the bottom of the chart.

The rotation is very simple now, and almost impossible to mess up, seeing as you don't have to keep your mana above 92%.

I'm thinking arcane got a pretty bad nerf at the moment, and until we hit 110 and get our artifact weapon, and blizzard tune us some more, we won't see our glory restored.

Arcane is unusable right now. Fire kicks its butt in...everything. Arcane need the Artifact that gives +400% to its mana pool. For WoD it is done because of that. Fire is king now.
07/29/2016 07:05 PMPosted by Deatha

Arcane is unusable right now. Fire kicks its butt in...everything. Arcane need the Artifact that gives +400% to its mana pool. For WoD it is done because of that. Fire is king now.

That Artifact talent no longer exists.
Honestly, I guess I've been away from the game for awhile, but who cares about trash pack DPS?

How is Arcane doing vs bosses?
07/30/2016 12:44 AMPosted by Phaedra
Honestly, I guess I've been away from the game for awhile, but who cares about trash pack DPS?

How is Arcane doing vs bosses?

Ehh, sub par really.
Like I said, until we get to 110 and get our artifact, we suck