Personal loot

General Discussion
I am not saying get rid of it, but why take away the group's ability to choose a loot type that they want? Was Free for all or Group loot really breaking the game? Causing a disadvantage?

Thrall on a stick...stop just taking away stuff that players like. Give us some choices...
I can see why they took ML out of PuGs with all the ninja looting going on, but I really don't understand why Group Loot i.e. "need before greed" was removed.

RNG hates me so I never seem to get anything but gold with personal loot. :/

Edit: If you're going to downvote, you can at least explain why you feel the change is necessary.
Group with guildies, set it to how you like (as long as 80%, or 4 out of 5 are in the same guild).
Group with what Blizzard perceives to be random strangers, get personal loot.

It's honestly a much better system for making random groups, and doesn't really affect guild groups at all.

It does become a bother if the guild is hosting an alt night and more than 5 of the alts are in personal bank guilds, so I guess there's that.
Free for All = Personal loot in effect. That is - from an individual player's perspective they get to loot everything they want to loot.
07/28/2016 08:07 PMPosted by Daemon
I can see why they took ML out of PuGs with all the ninja looting going on, but I really don't understand why Group Loot i.e. "need before greed" was removed.

Edit: If you're going to downvote, you can at least explain why you feel the change is necessary.

group loot is still in the game though (i think they may have changed the name again) i think it just defaults to personal.

Upvote. The change to Master Loot was need, but the others were not.
The blame rests on those who abused the system.

I enjoy the new system, however.
07/28/2016 08:03 PMPosted by Årcheon
I am not saying get rid of it, but why take away the group's ability to choose a loot type that they want? Was Free for all or Group loot really breaking the game? Causing a disadvantage?

Thrall on a stick...stop just taking away stuff that players like. Give us some choices...

Usability is the reason.

People don't necessarily know to pay attention to the loot type or forget to. Then, when they get screwed, they create tickets that CS has to deal with. Removing it from pug groups removes this scenario entirely.
Blame the community.
07/28/2016 08:42 PMPosted by Ahiriael

Exactly!

It's the groups that were like "all tier, trinkets, and druid gear on reserve" groups that did this.

It became so common practice that 19/20 groups had a reserve clause and even finding a pug that was actually PL was nearly impossible.
07/28/2016 09:40 PMPosted by Kawaiidk

Exactly!

It's the groups that were like "all tier, trinkets, and druid gear on reserve" groups that did this.

It became so common practice that 19/20 groups had a reserve clause and even finding a pug that was actually PL was nearly impossible.

Yup. This change doesn't really effect me much at all, as I solely lead pugs, and always use PL, I pugged my AotC back in November, and I'll do it again in Legion.

The only difference for me, is now we can trade if we don't need the gear.

Which is awesome.
Really bad free for all was removed! Personal loot only doesn't even make sense. Leave it for group finder if you want, but not groups that form on their own and go in.

I was wanting to get looks I didn't have yet for TMog so I took multiboxed my Mage, Shaman, Rogue, and DK through some old dungeons, so I had all the armor covered. What a pain, switching to each screen every time I pull something. I would rather have 1 toon pick it all up and give it out at the end. Worse yet, something cloth drops off a boss and they all have to roll on it. Give me back the freedom to just loot in all with 1 toon, trash and bosses, and hand it out at the end.

I think personal loot should be the only loot option for pug groups. Every other method causes problems because people don't care one bit about people who they will never play with again.
07/28/2016 09:40 PMPosted by Kawaiidk

Exactly!

Ninja looting was ridiculously out of control. Even when a group didn't state that something was reserved, they'd still ninja loot the best stuff. GMs wouldn't do anything because you joined a group with masterlooter set - even when CLEARLY defined that everyone would be able to have a chance at the gear.

I, for one, am very happy about masterloot being taken out. As for it being set to personal - I think that's a good move too. I'm not sure if you noticed, or if it was just a bug, but I was able to do a few TW dungeons where I received loot that someone else could use. I was able to trade it to them.
Blizzard didn't want to deal with thousands of ninja looting tickets every day.

Now that you can trade Personal Loot I really don't see the issue. Besides some weird power fetish, the only reason anyone used Master Loot before was due so that the already well geared people would be able to pass on pieces and have them go to those that need them.
07/28/2016 08:03 PMPosted by Årcheon

Here's why. PL groups could be found, but most groups were ML. There were complaints all the time "but I can't use PL, because all the groups refuse to use anything but ML, so I have to let them ninja loot and then complain on the forums about it".

Blizzard got sick and tired of all the whining about it, since they didn't intervene in loot disputes anyway. ML was abused, so it was taken away. This is why we can't have nice things. Be thankful it's still useable in guilds.

I honestly think the system is mostly fine as is. However, I think people that know each other that regularly raid together and trust each other, but aren't necessarily in the same guild, need to have some sort of accomodation for ML. That's the only group that this change has actually affected negatively, that were not abusing ML.
I don't mind it tho l. Been giving lots away to under geared ppl works for me as I'd just vendor it.
07/28/2016 09:33 PMPosted by Nuqular
Blame the community.

So because a few players are idiots and not fair with loot (nowhere near a majority, in fact a tiny minority) everyone gets less options in game, sounds fair.
We have not been able to adjust the loot type in any of our guild runs away from the default. "Just change it", as some have suggested, isn't working for us anymore.

We used Free for All in guild runs where we were trying to get stuff for a lesser geared member. When only one person will benefit from anything that drops, it was easier to have them loot everything in a quick dungeon run instead of forcing everyone to be sure to loot everything and trade it. We've definitely missed having the choice of loot type.
It appears there is a bug or something currently, that is my only complaint. Personal loot is supposed to be tradeable, but we haven't figured out why some of isn't currently. Suspect it is either that if the game thinks it's an upgrade for you then you can't trade it, or if you use a bonus roll loot after looting but before trying to trade it.

If that was fixed I'd have zero problems with the new system, even in guild runs, as you do tend to get more drops that way.