[7.1 Guide][PvE] Affliction

Warlock
1 2 3 9 Next
This guide is now obsolete. I do not plan on re-writing it for 7.2.5+ Please see the excellent content at http://lockonestopshop.com/ for all of your warlock needs
This guide is now obsolete. I do not plan on re-writing it for 7.2.5+ Please see the excellent content at http://lockonestopshop.com/ for all of your warlock needs
I look forward to reading this over throughout legion.
im lvoing the fomrat
bookmarking this guide for future reading
thanks!
nicely done, looking forward to contributing in anyway I can
now with extra spicy memes.
Good job. Just one thing... Drain life now heals 200% of the dmg done.
07/29/2016 09:54 AMPosted by Sanastar

Odd, beta has me at 260%.

Tooltip bug I assume? I'm going to give all the Spell Power coefficients a pass once I finish the last few sections. Ty for pointing this out.
Someone mind giving this a quick proofreading pass? I can't look at this right now and it's essentially done except WAs, UI tips, and the stupid t18 set bonuses for prepatch time.
Nice post, I look forward to keeping an eye on this as we get farther into legion.
I'm a bit confused about your contagion sections and it might just be because I'm slow:

" Contagion is nice but signifcantly increases your execute time spent on Unstable Affliction and also requires it to be weaved in every 8 seconds without fail, which can get cumbersome over a boss fight."

To me you're implying that contagion forces you to cast UA more often . But since you don't want to overcap shards you really aren't spending more time on UA you're just spreading your casts out vs casting them all at once, hopefully during a lucky trinket proc or the like.

Maybe it's just the wording was a bit confusing or am overlooking something. Thank you for the great guide, good work.
07/29/2016 03:29 PMPosted by Aleias
I'm a bit confused about your contagion sections and it might just be because I'm slow:

" Contagion is nice but signifcantly increases your execute time spent on Unstable Affliction and also requires it to be weaved in every 8 seconds without fail, which can get cumbersome over a boss fight."

To me you're implying that contagion forces you to cast UA more often . But since you don't want to overcap shards you really aren't spending more time on UA you're just spreading your casts out vs casting them all at once, hopefully during a lucky trinket proc or the like.

Maybe it's just the wording was a bit confusing or am overlooking something. Thank you for the great guide, good work.

In general it's not so much the amount of ET as opposed to the distribution of ET that changes.

With contagion your goal is 100% UA uptime for the 15% bonus damage. Without it's used as a dump during procs/cooldowns/etc. So instead of hardcasting a single UA every 8 seconds (baseline, reduced by haste) you're instead casting UAs at an advantageous moment, generally knowing it's coming up you can have your other stuff (e.g. agony, SL, corruption) rolling long enough for the ET window you need.

So you're correct in that the execute time itself is the same, it's the distribution and fundamental change to the priority that I was trying to highlight. I am going to try to reword that in a more clear manner.

Thank you for your feedback :)
07/29/2016 09:57 AMPosted by Cryptrot
07/29/2016 09:54 AMPosted by Sanastar

Odd, beta has me at 260%.

Tooltip bug I assume? I'm going to give all the Spell Power coefficients a pass once I finish the last few sections. Ty for pointing this out.

90% sure the extra 60% is from an artifact trait.

baseline is still 200%
I thought spell power was removed and changed to Int?
07/29/2016 07:42 PMPosted by Zarni
I thought spell power was removed and changed to Int?

They're one and the same. Everything is still referred to by spell power coefficient and I'm not going to change 11 years of terminology that I still use myself.
Bumparino Threadarino.

Still working with the new enemygrid addons, not actually a huge fan of them but hey. Something tells me it's going to be quite popular.
Great post. Thank You. Leaned a few things.
Learning about enemy grid is prolly the biggest thing followed by the artifact path for gold traits. I am disappointed to learn that haste does not=more UA damage just less Dot length. Does that devalue Haste for endgame at all?