Paid name change/switch/how to?

Customer Support
Hi customer support,

I am looking to make a demon hunter when they are available. However I want to be able to use a name from another character that I already have. I would like to know the best way avaliable to do this. Ofcourse I don't mind paying for a name change and I expect to do so. However I am worried about my name being taken in the mean time.

I want to use a name from my level 100 character, so I don't want to delete that character idealy. Also I heard that when you change a characters name that old name gets locked and can't be used? Is this true? If so what should I do?

Please advise.
Let's say you have a Priest named Jim. You want to change your priest's name to Bill, and then create a Demon Hunter named Jim?

You can do a paid name change to switch Jim to Bill. The name Jim will then be locked for 90 days. Mark it on your calendar.

While you wait, you have two choices. Make a Demon Hunter named Charlie, and pay to change it to Jim in 90 days. Or wait 90 days, then create a Demon Hunter named Jim.
You can name change the character you already have and the name that it previously had will be locked to your account for 90 days.

From https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/100494
Other players on your realm will be unable to use the old name for 90 days. Characters on your World of Warcraft account can still use your old character name during that time.
As Akatosh says, the old name will be locked to your account for 90 days and you can indeed make your demon hunter using that old name without having to wait 90s days.
Just a follow up question.

Everyone keeps saying it's locked to the account for 90 days. But since it's your account you can't use it right away? I thought the 90 day lock was to prevent OTHER people from using it, not the account holder. Is that not the case?
08/01/2016 11:46 AMPosted by Taressia
Just a follow up question.

Everyone keeps saying it's locked to the account for 90 days. But since it's your account you can't use it right away? I thought the 90 day lock was to prevent OTHER people from using it, not the account holder. Is that not the case?
Locked to your account means that only your account can use it within the specified time.
During the 90 day lock period only you can use the name.

Example:

My DK is named Akatosh, but I want to name my DH Akatosh. I renamed my DK to Stendarr. Akatosh is now locked to my account for 90 days. Within that time frame I can make a DH and name it Akatosh since the name is only usable by me. If I fail to use the name within the 90 day time frame for whatever reason it goes back into the pool of usable names for everyone.
Ok cool. That's what I thought.

It was that first reply that threw me off.

Thank you