Varian Not Dead?

Story Forum
he was never actually shown dead, woah. Whats in the future for him?
Doooooooownvooooooote
He's just molecules floating in the wind now, maaaan
As much as I personally wish it wasn't true, he's gone. Guldan ended him. (Thanks Khadgar!)
He uh, exploded, on camera. Doesn't get much more dead than that.
I had my doubts too, but my doubts went kaboom after I saw him do so.
He literally got exploded from the inside, dude is DEEEEAAAAD.
I am honestly not convinced as well we didnt see him literally explode but fel bursted out. I think gul dan may have transformed him. Cant confirm anything until the end of the expansion now, see how this plays out. Until then all i know is !@#$ got %^-*ed up both sides.
Noooooo much sadness for Vol'jin and Wrynn. and Fordring!
The whole point of having Varian blown up was to stop speculation about him being corrupted/raised as a Forsaken/other idea of that kind. Same goes for cremating Vol'jin. I suppose we could see both of them back as spirits or ghosts, but they are dead for good.
I'm suspicious of it. It looked a lot like he was going to explode but since they cut away before we saw anything there's always that nagging doubt a fel twisted monstrosity created from him will be a boss later on. People thought Bolvar was dead once, remember that?
08/09/2016 10:46 PMPosted by Galenar
I'm suspicious of it. It looked a lot like he was going to explode but since they cut away before we saw anything there's always that nagging doubt a fel twisted monstrosity created from him will be a boss later on. People thought Bolvar was dead once, remember that?

We didn't see Bolvar consumed by Felfire from the inside out before we cut away. Bolvar was still entirely intact before the dragons did their thing.

Varian... had big Fel lines going through him and ashes flying everywhere and was clearly in agony.

Given the game has a T rating and the manner of his death is incredibly gruesome, I'm going to call this one less that there's any chance of a Fel-Varian running around (because there really isn't) and more it was a Gory Discretion Shot (to borrow a term from TVTropes).

Staying on that scene and watching Varian be reduced to smoldering meat hunks plastered around the landscape like a Jackson Pollock painting would have certainly pushed the rating beyond the bounds of T, let me tell you! That's like, Mortal Kombat levels of gruesome.
08/09/2016 10:52 PMPosted by Dannalya
Staying on that scene and watching Varian be reduced to smoldering meat hunks plastered around the landscape like a Jackson Pollock painting would have certainly pushed the rating beyond the bounds of T, let me tell you! That's like, Mortal Kombat levels of gruesome.

Now that you bring up Mortal Kombat, I half expect a trinket called [Varian's Spine] to drop from Gul'dan. Or maybe [Varian's Skull] in an ironic twist (the fact that Gul'dan carries someone else's skull around).
He's been incinerated to the bones.

What will happen to those bones is anyone's guess.
08/10/2016 01:44 PMPosted by Arbalyst
Now that you bring up Mortal Kombat, I half expect a trinket called [Varian's Spine] to drop from Gul'dan. Or maybe [Varian's Skull] in an ironic twist (the fact that Gul'dan carries someone else's skull around).

....I could actually see Blizzard doing that, for the black humor potential. That's scary.
We just saw gul'dan pouring power into him. And a big fel explosion near him. We never saw him die.

Bolvar came back from breathing acid and then being raked with dragonfire in a cinema just fine.
08/10/2016 01:44 PMPosted by Arbalyst
08/09/2016 10:52 PMPosted by Dannalya

I don't need to remind anyone that he's been known to carry the skulls of children around, right?
08/10/2016 07:57 PMPosted by Threeslotbag
We just saw gul'dan pouring power into him. And a big fel explosion. We never saw him die.

Bolvar came back from breathing acid and then being raked with dragonfire in a cinema just fine.

Wasn't Bolvar resurrected by the Lich King? I thought that was the entire thing with "you will bend to my will," because you know the Lich King uses necromancy and stuff
08/10/2016 08:08 PMPosted by Neonsatan
Wasn't Bolvar resurrected by the Lich King? I thought that was the entire thing with "you will bend to my will," because you know the Lich King uses necromancy and stuff

He technically got rezzed by the Red Dragonflight, and turned into Lavaman.
Oh lord it's Pyrrha from RWBY all over again.