Maximum camera distance - Legion 7.0.3 #10

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 143 Next
08/04/2016 04:19 PMPosted by Zularan
Yes, for 11,5 years the art team had to struggle to design the world so it looks decent for players who are pretending to play a city builder game with their camera zoom, and they have admitted it multiple times.

Making stuff up is pretty fun I agree. Being based in any sort of reality is more practical though. They, of course, have never said or even implied anything of the sort. Even Watcher's silly comment about default zoom being "what we all fell in love with" could only have been referring to the old 34.99 maximum which isn't available anymore. So he shot his own vague, inane point down in the same breath he made it.

If I had to guess I'd believe the art team is as upset about this as a lot of the players are.

Seriously though, watch the extended Legion preview that was just released and try to pretend that was designed for a 28.5 maximum distance.
Have you rode a mount with a large wing span? It's disorienting to not be able to see the area being covered by the wingspan, which wasn't a problem until max zoom was changed. Biggest offender is the Firehawk mounts.
08/04/2016 01:23 PMPosted by Ornyx
Thanks for all your feedback on the topic so far, everyone!

I'm starting to wonder if there is specific feedback we can try to focus on giving beyond what we have already, something that the people taking in feedback might like to know or focus on?
I just want to be able to play the game I have been playing since 09, without the need to take medication

Lol. Think some of you have bigger issues than a camera.
08/04/2016 03:55 PMPosted by Chazka
There's multiple reports of a nerf in place for the bug that manipulates the camera to zoom out.

Good evening Thread! (No I'm not a ghost, nor has my account been compromised, In the interests of testing a CS Rep extended my sub on this account for seven days so that I could provide feedback to him. Thank you CS for the opportunity to test!)

There ARE multiple reports of an incoming nerf to MaxCam. However, (wait allow me to put my shiny tinfoil hat on appropriately...ahh there that is much better) what if although the hotfix has been coded and tested it simply has not been implemented until the devs are ready to implement it? This makes sense when you think about it as it becomes something of a Damoclean predicament for those of us who are using the addon whether it be because of Raiding/Riding Mounts/Melee/Tanking etc or due to medical issues. It has not YET been implemented and as long as the devs don't pull the trigger on the nuke it is a subtle form of carrot and stick. Not to mention it allows them more time (more time subbed == more money made) to profit while they consider their options. I would call that a win\win from that viewpoint.
08/04/2016 04:25 PMPosted by Tylindre
08/04/2016 03:47 PMPosted by Teradan
As long as they allow the add-on that currently fixes this problem then I don't see the issue. Sure, they could just make the camera distance by default higher; however maybe that's not a good idea. Maybe the average joe player would find it bothersome to be looking at their character as an ant on the screen just to have an edge; this might annoy them. Maybe it's good that you need an add-on for this type of stuff or some command 95% of the playerbase didnt seem to know about. Either way there's a fix for it now so that's the good part.

*facedesk* 95% didn't know about it? Really? Wow guess we need far better public education since so many can't read the trade chat, GM's giving it out, being posted on the forums and you know that thing called Google.
Sorry yes that is a bit snarky just tired of seeing this over and over again when it is so not true. Just because you might not know something doesn't mean that everyone doesn't.

It is a small percentage of the playerbase that actually uses the forums, so it is reasonable that most didn't know about the console command. And not everyone has trade chat enabled, because a lot of people don't want to be bombarded by the behavior that goes on in that channel. I have played off and on since release and I never knew about this before these threads started showing up. Nor had any of my game friends or guildmates ever mentioned anything about it.
08/04/2016 04:19 PMPosted by Zularan
Yes, for 11,5 years the art team had to struggle to design the world so it looks decent for players who are pretending to play a city builder game with their camera zoom, and they have admitted it multiple times.

No one played with the current MaxCam addon before. We were not zoomed to Jupiter. And nowhere have I read anything that the art team has "had to struggle to design the world" in that manner. Yes, this is me calling you a liar.

But thank you for keeping the thread bumped.
08/04/2016 04:35 PMPosted by Taak

I'm starting to wonder if there is specific feedback we can try to focus on giving beyond what we have already, something that the people taking in feedback might like to know or focus on?
Or actually listen to instead of brushing it off as "pffff peasants".
Welcome Back Rodrick :)
08/04/2016 04:37 PMPosted by Willander
08/04/2016 04:25 PMPosted by Tylindre
*facedesk* 95% didn't know about it? Really? Wow guess we need far better public education since so many can't read the trade chat, GM's giving it out, being posted on the forums and you know that thing called Google.
Sorry yes that is a bit snarky just tired of seeing this over and over again when it is so not true. Just because you might not know something doesn't mean that everyone doesn't.

It is a small percentage of the playerbase that actually uses the forums, so it is reasonable that most didn't know about the console command. And not everyone has trade chat enabled, because a lot of people don't want to be bombarded by the behavior that goes on in that channel. I have played off and on since release and I never knew about this before these threads started showing up. Nor had any of my game friends or guildmates ever mentioned anything about it.

So, I ask you again, why does the change need to happen?

Because of parity? Let me tell you, addons trivialize encounters. You want to talk about an upper hand? Holy balls. I don't even want to pretend like I would know what it would be like to coordinate P2 Mythic Archimonde without Weak Aura scripts.

Because of developer vision? Have you seen the size of a majority of bosses? Have you seen the dated models used on many of the things you see? Zooming out actually helps you see those giant behemoths and lessens the pain of ages old graphics.

So, please, answer these questions. Or be forever remembered as a troll ;)

(thanks also for the bump)
08/04/2016 04:37 PMPosted by Toolbît
I just want to be able to play the game I have been playing since 09, without the need to take medication

Lol. Think some of you have bigger issues than a camera.

And.. What would that be? Its ironic your trying to make fun of me for playing the same game as you. That troll logic.

Welcome back Rodrick! You have been missed.
08/04/2016 04:41 PMPosted by Insain
Welcome Back Rodrick :)

For you have the trolls with you always; but me ye have not always.

( I am likely to burn for that comment but if it brings a smile then it was worth it)
Seeing as this is 10 threads in... I'm going to set the cap a bit higher this time. Thanks for all your feedback on the topic so far, everyone!

My god.

Also, my god I can write the post out before the timer expires to post again...woot.

You may not remember me, but I remember you.

Welcome back, old friend.
08/04/2016 04:35 PMPosted by Taak

As someone not particularly familiar with the ebb and flow of forums and feedback, my opinion may not hold much credibility, but how about specific examples, beyond the health concerns, of how the change has negatively impacted an individual's gameplay experience? Instead of saying "the change is bad," follow up with what specifically causes you to say that. In my case, the raiding example I used earlier. Or, as others have addressed, the camera change seemingly having the opposite effect from it's intent: to immerse the player more in the world.
08/04/2016 04:49 PMPosted by Aehl

You may not remember me, but I remember you.

Welcome back, old friend.

But of course I do my New Zealand friend we go waaaay back you and I. Back as far as the first CRZ and #NoFlyNoSub threads. How could I possibly forget those debates?
--Flying mount wings cover a lot of the area we're trying to see. Not all, but Firehawks, for example, are bery hard to see around.

--Adds in boss fights. Fire in boss fights. The bosses in boss fights. Boss fights.

--Anything that flies. Quest mobs you have to shoot out of the sky require some crazy camera work to see.

--"Loot the things off the ground, but they are spread out and you can only see so much ground at a time" quests.

As someone not particularly familiar with the ebb and flow of forums and feedback, my opinion may not hold much credibility, but how about specific examples, beyond the health concerns, of how the change has negatively impacted an individual's gameplay experience? Instead of saying "the change is bad," follow up with what specifically causes you to say that. In my case, the raiding example I used earlier. Or, as others have addressed, the camera change seemingly having the opposite effect from it's intent: to immerse the player more in the world.
08/04/2016 04:31 PMPosted by Ravenskar

If I had to guess I'd believe the art team is as upset about this as a lot of the players are.

I would think so; I agree with you.

It seems deeply disrespectful of the artists and their work to imply that their art is so uninteresting, so uncompelling, that we would not zoom in to admire it unless we are forced to. The artwork in WoW is, in my opinion, gorgeous, and has been getting better over the years. To suggest that we won't admire that artwork unless Blizzard does the digital equivalent of shoving our faces into it is insulting to the talented artists who create the world we play in.
08/04/2016 04:53 PMPosted by Cozzene
--Flying mount wings cover a lot of the area we're trying to see. Not all, but Firehawks, for example, are bery hard to see around.

--Adds in boss fights. Fire in boss fights. The bosses in boss fights. Boss fights.

I personally have been finding it very exhausting lately with the new camera changes with these two issues here.

I love riding my Corrupted Fire Hawk but even with a 22 inch, 1080p screen, the corrupted fire hawk wings itself take up ALMOST the whole horizontal span of my screen.

Secondly, with a lot of the HFC fights requiring you to keep a constant lookout for fire or adds, I've had to constantly move my camera from looking in front of me, to the back of me, like every 5-10 seconds which gets annoying after a while...

Just thought I would put my two-cents in! #MakeMaxCamBetterAgain
so i just installed Maxcam and OMG i can see the world again! i've been using the /console command since raiding in bc and always like to zoom out more than the current default value. the current default isn't bad on my gnome toons but i really haven't played this druid (main since bc) since the prepatch due to feeling so claustrophobic. really hope they dont nerf Maxcam too soon so i can enjoy this toon again.