Varian: For the Alliance

Story Forum
So, at a certain point in the cinematic, Varian says "For the Alliance!"

Both the Horde and Alliance get to see Varian's epic battle and his ending it with "For the Alliance!" is for once a great use of what I have otherwise thought of as horrible copycat battlecry. Its stated deliberately, willfully, defiantly, and it celebrates the Alliance, rather than just the humans, and more than that, it celebrates the Alliance, not the alliance and the Horde. (Note that he did not say "For Azeroth!")

Blizz got that right and did that right.

Should we consider that an apology for "Have Mercy!"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTHRrrN0E4

When I saw the Legion annoucement a year ago, I was shocked that there was hardly an orc to be seen.

I've thought for a while that a couple of years ago, someone sat down Blizzard management and explained in clear detail with multiple studies, just how many millions of dollars their incessant horde/orc fanwankery has cost them. And the hard turn in faction balance -- and that cutscene in particular -- is clear result of that conversation.
They did Varians death right, and it looks like the Alliance will have a bit more of an identity in Legion, I'll keep my fingers crossed for it.

Vol'jin on the other hand kind of died a little too soon, while I'm all for the Alliance being treated with respect and their own character, I feel like the horde shouldn't be left in the dust either, and I'll just hope that Horde side we see Spirit Loa Vol'jin come to help us in our darkest hour.

I also kind of liked Gelbin in his short few minutes of screentime, can we see more of him? I hope so.
To be honest the entire Alliance cinematic was fantastic and while I'm sad to see Varian go, he got hands down the best death scene in Warcraft history since Grom
There's nothing to complain about for Varian's death scene. He went down spitting in the face of the enemy, and it's glorious.
Varian Win, even in death. ;_;7
Varian died with such tenacity and heroics that Horde children will be placing posters of him next to Saurfang on their bedroom walls.

Nothing to complain about. I shed a tear for Varian.
08/09/2016 06:32 PMPosted by Wreave
horrible copycat battlecry.

I thought 'For the Alliance' predates 'For the Horde', fwiw.
08/09/2016 06:39 PMPosted by Elesseth
To be honest the entire Alliance cinematic was fantastic and while I'm sad to see Varian go, he got hands down the best death scene in Warcraft history since Grom

I thought you would favor Garithos death the most. It was a very symbolic death for the current Alliance and the Forsaken.
I liked it. the "for the alliance" sold it.
08/09/2016 06:50 PMPosted by Arkturas
I thought 'For the Alliance' predates 'For the Horde', fwiw.

It does. Just that "For the Horde" became more iconic than "For the Alliance."
08/09/2016 06:53 PMPosted by Deathisfinal
08/09/2016 06:39 PMPosted by Elesseth

I thought you would favor Garithos death the most. It was a very symbolic death for the current Alliance and the Forsaken.

Stop.
I really, really feel like he should have said, "For Azeroth."

Like, don't get me wrong, if you cut me I'd bleed gold & blue, but in this situation I think it would have been much more appropriate. Who is the Alliance to Gul'dan, who is the Horde? Just some squabbling factions on a world he intends to claim for the Legion.

"For the Alliance" just felt sort of, weak? I think, "For Azeroth" would have carried soooo much more weight.
08/09/2016 08:13 PMPosted by Myis

Like, don't get me wrong, if you cut me I'd bleed gold & blue, but in this situation I think it would have been much more appropriate. Who is the Alliance to Gul'dan, who is the Horde? Just some squabbling factions on a world he intends to claim for the Legion.

"For the Alliance" just felt sort of, weak? I think, "For Azeroth" would have carried soooo much more weight.

There's rarely a moment when one can say "For the Alliance" and actually have it sound cool and prideful, so I'm okay with it.
08/09/2016 08:11 PMPosted by Rendford
08/09/2016 06:53 PMPosted by Deathisfinal

Stop.

I have, just repaying petty comments with petty comments.

Well, he just got the impression that the Horde betrayed them, so I think "For the Alliance" makes more sense.

Otherwise I agree with everyone. Lot's to like in those cinematics. And while I don't like that Vol'jin dies - that cinematic was also really well done. I'm not a Sylvanas fan, but that last scene - goosebumps!
Varian does say

Varian did say "For Azeroth" in the trailer.
Which is why it would have been appropriate here, too.

The point was this death was as much a "fist bump" to the Alliance as it was a loss. Really, the cinematic showed exactly what the Alliance was made. I also can''t help but think what Bolvar use to say:

"It is a tragedy. I think... I believe that our kind is cursed. We are cursed to lose our greatest warriors; our most noble heroes; our most gifted scholars."

Varian has always done everything in his power to serve the Alliance. Its only fitting that would be his last words.

Varian died thinking the Horde had betrayed him and the Alliance. From his point of view, the Horde stabbed him in the back only a few hours after he ultimately accepted that peace was possible in the long term. The Horde meant nothing to him at the moment of his death. He died for the Alliance, not for Azeroth.

EDIT: Besides, he's answering Gul'dan. He sacrificed his life for the Alliance, not for nothing.