Stutter/Freeze when first logging into a character

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 21 Next
Now its happening to me 6 times when first logging on
been having this same issue, only just noticed it yesterday

happens with no addons, deleted wtf/chache/etc, graphics set to 1 or 10
Happening to me as well. Thought maybe my hardware was crapping out on me, but saw this thread! Was immediately relieved to know it's not my hardware. :D

Hope this gets addressed soon.
Yeah, I'm up to 6 times as well.

What an odd problem.
same thing here :/
I am also getting this with the first toon select on a fresh login. Doesnt matter if its a Miaha, Rexxar, Scarlett, Feathermoon, or Proudmoore toon I log in. First one goes thru a 'stutter' several times where FPS drops below 20, goes up to 60, then back down to 20, etc 4 or 5 times.
Same here, I was going ape s**t crazy, At first I thought it was due to the Windows 10 AU update but some of you here are on Windows 7 yes? Can you guys check to see if you are getting randoms spikes of 100% disk usage when this occurs? I have done a fresh install of 10 and defered my updates and no change. I dont seem to be hanging or freezing at all within my OS. I am slowly going crazy.

System:

6700k,
asus z170 pro
32gb ddr4
980 ti sc evga acx2.0
ssd - samsung 840 pro 512.

the ssd still has 100% health and gets its advertised speeds. I asked in general and in my voice chats but it seems to be limited to certain people.
Yep, all this. Both accounts on two different PC's at my house. Log in ONLY the first time on a fresh boot of the client, first toon you log into, anywhere from 3-5 times the video locks up for about 1-2 seconds. After it's done having a fit, it's fine until you reboot the software next time.
08/12/2016 07:03 PMPosted by Conjuror
Can you guys check to see if you are getting randoms spikes of 100% disk usage when this occurs?

For me the freezing is not related to 100% disk usage. I actually ended up copying the game files from my main mechanical HDD to my SSD, thinking it could be disk related but it made no difference and subsequently looking at the task manager confirmed the freezing periods did not coincide with disk activity.
Same here, I was going ape s**t crazy, At first I thought it was due to the Windows 10 AU update but some of you here are on Windows 7 yes? Can you guys check to see if you are getting randoms spikes of 100% disk usage when this occurs? .

Yeah I'm using Windows 7. No random spikes when it happens.
08/12/2016 07:03 PMPosted by Conjuror
I asked in general and in my voice chats but it seems to be limited to certain people.

TBH, that's not going to yield great results. The majority of people I know are using antiquated PCs to play WoW. They think anything above 10fps is great and so I wouldn't expect they would even notice this issue.

From what I can tell, most people reporting this seem to be using pretty good PCs. Personally, I use a 4790K @ 4.5GHz on all cores/threads + GTX 1080 FTW + 16Gb DDR3 @ 1866MHz + 250Gb Samsung 840 Pro + 2 x 1TB WD Blacks + Windows 10AE Home
Confirmed. Not related to disk usage spike. All updates done on both PC's here, two different OS's. Win 7 and 8.1.
Its a software issue. Im not seeing any spikes in cpu or gpu when the freezes occur.

No big deal, im sure it will get fixed pretty quickly.
Hi all,

I wanted to jump in here regarding this issue, this is actually something that is being worked on already. The main cause is the game loading in hotfix data, the stutter will go away after ~10-15 seconds or so in most cases and depending on the connection/hardware. So as a workaround, you can try logging into the character let it sit for 10 seconds or so before moving around, should help.

Now that said, if it continues past 60 seconds it's likely a different issue and I would suggest opening a new thread with the issue you're running into.
08/12/2016 08:27 PMPosted by Halkriel
Hi all,

I wanted to jump in here regarding this issue, this is actually something that is being worked on already. The main cause is the game loading in hotfix data, the stutter will go away after ~10-15 seconds or so in most cases and depending on the connection/hardware. So as a workaround, you can try logging into the character let it sit for 10 seconds or so before moving around, should help.

Now that said, if it continues past 60 seconds it's likely a different issue and I would suggest opening a new thread with the issue you're running into.

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Yea it never lasts in total any more than 15 seconds. Usually 3-5 little lockups.
I have had the same problem, but when it freezes once it stays frozen. I was playing the legion pre-patch perfectly fine with no freezing whatsoever until I got some windows 10 updates. So maybe it's a microsoft-blizzard problem?
08/12/2016 08:31 PMPosted by Salfademas
08/12/2016 08:27 PMPosted by Halkriel
Hi all,

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Yea it never lasts in total any more than 15 seconds. Usually 3-5 little lockups.

Ditto!
08/12/2016 08:31 PMPosted by Lanestorhunt
I have had the same problem, but when it freezes once it stays frozen. I was playing the legion pre-patch perfectly fine with no freezing whatsoever until I got some windows 10 updates. So maybe it's a microsoft-blizzard problem?

Does the game crash or just freeze and you have to force quit, Lanestorhunt?
Just popping in here to say I'm having the same issue (the 10-15 seconds of half-second freezes.

And thanks for the blue post letting us know you are working on it! It's obviously not the end of the world but it is annoying.
I was having this issue (annoying). I just had to reinstall battle.net for another problem and there is now no stutter (maybe the reinstall incorporated all the hotfixes or something or maybe Im speaking about stuff Im clueless about).