How are you handling the Invasion Exp Nerf?

General Discussion
Prev 1 75 76 77 253 Next
The way the event is handled now is just extremely clunky.

The amount of exp received for time spent isn't as worth it, and the mob thing isn't exactly working out either. For most of the event, you're with other players, and the second someone else touches a mob, the amount of exp you receive for it's death goes down exponentially. It's funny seeing stage 3, the one where everyone splits, is now the only worthwhile part of the invasion from a reward perspective so long as no one else starts attacking the mob you are.

Honestly, was anything really broken with the way it was handled before? For a few weeks while the event is going on, you can mass level characters to prepare for an expansion, where you'd hope players play with as many characters as possible for as long as possible. Not to mention, this was an ideal way for players to experience the "new" classes and how they play like in a chaotic, fun environment. Why on earth was anything changed with this to begin with?
08/17/2016 07:13 AMPosted by Seniron
FIX THIS CRAP

wasted a full day due to your stupid need to change something not broken, not even a response or update yet! ridiculous!

Well, lets be reasonable here. They're a software company and its 7:30 a.m. in california. Nobody is there yet, that's just crazy talk. Give it a few hours.
But what about the mob tagging Blizz? I understand what you are trying to do here, but this will not fix the situation for people using the invasions to level thier alts. This was pretty obvious to anyone trying to participate in the invasions and you've now gone from looking out of touch with your player base, to looking like you don't even know your own game. It didn't used to be like this. What is going on over there?

At this point just return things to the way they were before any nerf. It's just for a few weeks for christ-sakes. Who cares if people get a few max level toons out of it. I hate to put my tin foil hat on, but this could also cause some people to preceive you as greedy as a company and that you want to push people into paying the $60 to boost a toon instead of using this formerly fun mechanic to level thier alts.
So I just did an Invasion on my level 43 character. When the third leg of the invasion happens 2 issues arise that are problematic.

- Mob tagging
- Finding a mob since you can't fly. It leave lowbie toons no option but to stay put at the source of the invasion so then we are back to mob tagging.

Its still not worth doing them.
I mean hey, at least our expectations of Legion are tapered two weeks before launch. Maybe it's for the best that brakes are applied to the hype train before it reaches top speed; you know, remind people that they're still dealing with the same 'ol Blizzard.
I was having a lot of fun before the exp nerf. The invasions allowed me to level up my 35 shadow priest to 60, so I could boost. I even created a mage to see what the class is like now. It turns out, I still enjoy arcane immensely. Sadly, I'm not taking her on invasions anymore. Unless they are close by.

When I factor in travel time, the nerf to the invasion times (I think there was a nerf, at least. My timers were showing "2" instead of "4"), and so forth it's just not worth it. After testing one yesterday she only went up a 1.5 levels. No, she was not afk, and was fully participating in the invasions.

Edit: Tested the mage again on one invasion for a bit more comparison. She went from 33 (10% away from 34) to 35 (with 80% away from 36), no rested xp. I did this by killing as many mobs, and targets as possible. Which, as others have said, seem to give the most exp.
I was a software developer myself for almost 40 years. Trust me, it's two weeks until release, those poor devs are working 24 hour days and sleeping at their desks.

What I don't get is...the XP was fine the way it was, given that this is a temporary pre-release 'party'. What they needed to do was take steps against the hovering AFK players.

So. Designing on the fly here...if someone is in a scenario and they are (1) flying for the entire duration of the stage, or (2) have not done a certain level of DPS or healing for that stage...when it becomes time to generate the reward chests, instead just teleport that player to stage 1 of another scenario. No rewards, no fuss, just make them keep starting over again until they participate.

And leave the XP the way it was for those people who are actually participating.
Fun detected.
Fun nerfed.

Good old Blizz and their shenanigans.

I haven't done any invasion post changes, but was fun going around killing demons without having to worry to kill the xp gains for someone.
Guess that if I do that now I'm gonna be pissing a lot of people.

Sounds annoying.
08/17/2016 07:32 AMPosted by Livingstone
So I just did an Invasion on my level 43 character. When the third leg of the invasion happens 2 issues arise that are problematic.

- Mob tagging
- Finding a mob since you can't fly. It leave lowbie toons no option but to stay put at the source of the invasion so then we are back to mob tagging.

Its still not worth doing them.

Seconded. I mean, it is sort of worth doing them from the perspective of "it's something different", but comparatively speaking, it's definitely now more efficient to level in the traditional ways.

I did one on a lowbie this morning and yes, the only way to get any sort of decent xp off a mob is to be in phase 3 AND be alone. Unfortunately since most players are level 100 and flying, they happily swoop in and one shot whatever you're plinking away at, which negates almost all the xp you would have gotten had they simply resisted the urge to play the game. Heh.

I tried to stay far away from the main shards where people tend to go during those phases, but it didn't work. People fly until they see someone else fighting a mob, then they land and hit it. They do this because they don't want agro, and someone else already has agro so to them it's low hanging fruit.

Basically, the change yesterday to increase mob experience in order to alleviate the overall experience nerf was completely ineffective.
08/17/2016 07:27 AMPosted by Moritus
08/17/2016 07:13 AMPosted by Seniron
FIX THIS CRAP

wasted a full day due to your stupid need to change something not broken, not even a response or update yet! ridiculous!

They're a software company and its 7:30 a.m. in california. Nobody is there yet, that's just crazy talk. Give it a few hours.

"a few hours" it's more like 10 hours + since until they sit down on the office, talk about stuff.. discuss about "possible" fixes (and not reverting it like it was before) only then and maybe then once everyone agree with the idea that someone throw on the conversation a blue might answer.
08/17/2016 07:15 AMPosted by Trevalon
08/17/2016 07:10 AMPosted by Flappyjack
Honestly I haven't seen too big of a nerf to XP gain. It seems like the XP from trash mobs was boosted so I just solo Dread Devastators and Infernals. I know it sucks having to actually play the game, but I think it's still pretty viable as a way of leveling alts. On a level 80-ish alt I'm still gaining two-three levels per invasion.

2 or 3 levels per invasion at 80, lol, stop lying man...

Even at the height of the xp gain (pre-nerf) I was gaining one level (in heirlooms AND participating) per invasion on this alt (60's). How were/are people getting 2-3 levels and at higher levels than myself??? Every time I ask this, people get offended for some bizarre reason and downvote me to oblivion but its a serious question. Does anyone have an answer or is it just people exaggerating about the xp these used to give?
08/17/2016 06:54 AMPosted by Daiklave
I am managing to get plenty of solo kills this morning because nobody is doing Invasions.

I would much rather be doing this with my fellow players, like it was a few days ago.

Same here. Honestly if they fix the tagging problem it might be fine but the easiest solution is to revert it to the way it was before and that would definitely bring everyone back.

On Lore's twitter someone (before the hotfix) said "Just give all the mobs an XP boost, so those that participate get more XP than AFKers? Similar to the shard buff?" and Lore said: "this is along the lines of what we'd like to do. there's just a lot of complicated tech w/ those mobs due to scaling" ... "looking into options, but might not be able to pull it off in time considering the event goes away in 2 weeks."
Yeah.. I just got 140x for killing Fel Commander Vorgroth.... really "lucrative".

Give full XP from every mob or simply revert the phase XP. Otherwise you've detected fun and nerfed it.
Something alot of people are missing is that you actually have to be doing something now to get good exp. My exp has gone up even faster now, than before the frequency increase, when I just solo mobs without anyone else tagging them. At my level I can go solo and get anywhere from 2k - 10k+ for each mob. The mobs don't take very long to kill either. If mob exp wasn't effected by higher levels and split by each and every person hitting the mob it'd be amazing.

An invasion specific non-flying speed boost would be amazing for the low levels that don't have flying yet. That would allow them to get to objectives and aforementioned solo mobs much more efficiently.
Really hope this gets changed back soon. Your nerf and hotfix made what should be a fun event into an exercise in frustration.

If Invasions are supposed to be the big preview for world quests then the way you're treating them is making me very not excited for one of Legion's core systems.
08/17/2016 07:42 AMPosted by Deviledeggs
08/17/2016 07:15 AMPosted by Trevalon

2 or 3 levels per invasion at 80, lol, stop lying man...

Even at the height of the xp gain (pre-nerf) I was gaining one level (in heirlooms AND participating) per invasion on this alt (60's). How were/are people getting 2-3 levels and at higher levels than myself??? Every time I ask this, people get offended for some bizarre reason and downvote me to oblivion but its a serious question. Does anyone have an answer or is it just people exaggerating about the xp these used to give?

I was getting 2-3 levels on my monk before I hit 40. Monks have a 50% xp buff.

Others are using XP potions to get more than one level. Although now it's more like 3 events per level IF you can find mobs to tag and some random 100 doesn't come by and tag it before you kill it, which nerfs your xp to about 10% of what you would have had.
Yea I did all this on a DK alt I hadn't touched for years, hoping to work on leveling him up after hearing about how others were enjoying leveling through the invasions. Went to an invasion last night about 10 hours ago (so I'm assuming after the "hotfix"), fully participated, and I THINK I may have gotten a grand total of a bubble and a half of exp while being rested and in full heirlooms.

Yea something seems off still......
08/17/2016 07:36 AMPosted by Padder
I was a software developer myself for almost 40 years. Trust me, it's two weeks until release, those poor devs are working 24 hour days and sleeping at their desks.

What I don't get is...the XP was fine the way it was, given that this is a temporary pre-release 'party'. What they needed to do was take steps against the hovering AFK players.

So. Designing on the fly here...if someone is in a scenario and they are (1) flying for the entire duration of the stage, or (2) have not done a certain level of DPS or healing for that stage...when it becomes time to generate the reward chests, instead just teleport that player to stage 1 of another scenario. No rewards, no fuss, just make them keep starting over again until they participate.

And leave the XP the way it was for those people who are actually participating.

I've been a game developer as well going on 20 years. I like the sentiment of your idea, however, I think they could have simply fixed the latest XP change they made by making it so you don't lose 90% of the XP off a mob if someone else hits it.

I mean 100s were actively dragging my "solo attempts" FAR away from where I was fighting them. Others were just "helping" but the result is the same.

Went from 3k per mob to 116xp per mob that was multi-tagged. This was with rested and full heirlooms, BTW.
08/17/2016 07:46 AMPosted by Depakote
08/17/2016 07:42 AMPosted by Deviledeggs

I was getting 2-3 levels on my monk before I hit 40. Monks have a 50% xp buff.

Others are using XP potions to get more than one level. Although now it's more like 3 events per level IF you can find mobs to tag and some random 100 doesn't come by and tag it before you kill it, which nerfs your xp to about 10% of what you would have had.

Ah... Okay, that makes sense now. Thank you very much. Silly me, I often forget about XP potions.
08/16/2016 06:23 PMPosted by Ornyx
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We agree that our initial change made Invasions too unrewarding for characters who weren’t at max level, so we’ve just applied a hotfix that increases XP gains from killing Legion invaders. Since Invasions are only around for a short period of time, we want them to feel lucrative, and provide incentives to actively participate in them.

You should be seeing a lot more progress on your XP bar for helping your fellow Azerothians fight the Legion now.

I got the same amount of XP this morning ( about 3 1/2 hours ago ) that I got last night before the increase in XP.

I didn't see any gains yet.