Do Druids even have a weakness?

General Discussion
Druids are a weirdly designed class because they're basically just a god class that can do everything everyone else can combined in one, and then some.
Stealth.
Healing.
DPS.
Tanking.
Move at mount speed during combat.
Can fly.
All at the same time, in a single class and spec. What's their drawback? Because this isn't even a case of "Jack of all trades, master of none" because Druids have among the highest DPS, tanking, and healing of any class.
Druids have been OP since the game was out basically.

They simply are amazing at every role and really have no downside. Blizzard doesn't want to make them weaker though, because people are so used to having this god level status that they would all quit if Blizzard made them balanced.
08/20/2016 08:19 PMPosted by Stabriel
Druids are a weirdly designed class because they're basically just a god class that can do everything everyone else can combined in one, and then some.
Stealth.
Healing.
DPS.
Tanking.
Can fly.
All at the same time, in a single class and spec. What's their drawback? Because this isn't even a case of "Jack of all trades, master of none" because Druids have among the highest DPS

Funny, I always see Druids below true DPS classes - Mages/Hunters etc. so tell me again how they're among the highest DPS? They really aren't.

I mean yes, there are fights where say a Boomykin might top out high if there's a lot of multidot stuff, but majority of fights, even a great Boomkin wont be in top 3.
08/20/2016 08:22 PMPosted by Yekoms

They simply are amazing at every role and really have no downside. Blizzard doesn't want to make them weaker though, because people are so used to having this god level status that they would all quit if Blizzard made them balanced.
That sucks. I'm willing to bet a few of the higher-up staff happen to main and favorite Druid too.

Because they took the design from d2, they even admit it at the 2005 blizzcon.

What's their drawback?

None, They are the only truly unique class left, so leave them alone.

Eh, maybe since BC, in vanilla they were truly the "Jack of all trades, master of none." which actually caused the class to suffer back then.

Balance was worthless.
Feral (Tanking) was unreliable and inferior to warriors.
Feral (DPS) was not worth it in PvE as rogues were OP, PvP was mixed.
Resto was the only viable spec, and even then it was not OP like it was in BC.

They gotten taken to raids for MotW and so priests could have innervate.

You didn't play pre-wrath. Druids had 1, maybe 2 (sometimes) viable specs.

08/20/2016 08:27 PMPosted by Elaice
Eh, maybe since BC, in vanilla they were truly the "Jack of all trades, master of none." which actually caused the class to suffer back then.

Even in BC, feral was garbage and boomy...well, the term 'oomkin' springs to mind. Bears were extremely niche.
Catnip.

Since the game came out?

Let me tell you about classic era druids- never mind that feral and balance wouldn't be truly viable till Wrath when they finally did things like allowing feral DPS to scale by weapon damage.

We had three healing spells, but you really only ever used one- HOTs were considered a buff, and you could only have one per target, which meant that if you cast it on a target, then someone with less +healing cast it, they just got an error message telling them a stronger buff was already on the target- in raids you really just spammed down ranked healing touch, you were a bad healer compared to priests, and you were actively discouraged from DPS'ing because there was a limited number of debuff slots per boss.

So you really only had three jobs- casting battle rez since only warlocks had one otherwise or self-casting shaman, casting innervate on priests, and absorbing druid epics that'd just get DE'd otherwise.
They sleep too much.
Druids in BC were what one might consider a uber class. Especially before they nerfed Mangle when the pre expansion patch went live up until the post launch patch. (Post nerf cat dps was middling to good depending on the player, then feral dps got way too complicated eventually. DRUID JOHN MADDEN)

Progression guilds always had a bear tank or two, and cat DPS was insane. Resto was in a super amazing spot and incredibly mana efficient (though paladins were kings of that at the time but less throughput overall,) and their hots were strong as hell.

They were still really amazing in Wrath just not the powerhouses they were for almost all of BC, there is a reason player versus pillar became a term, and druids were mostly the reason. They've normalized a bit as Blizz has gotten better at overall design, but they're still an incredibly fun class to me since they're so versatile.
Well druids are majestic as hell so they deserve it. In any case in pvp moonkin has been bad almost all the time except WoD and bear is the worst tank so there's that. In any case it's not like we can tank and be casters at the same time or heal and be melee dps. We have different specs for everything, that's fine.

08/20/2016 08:23 PMPosted by Xiata
Funny, I always see Druids below true DPS classes - Mages/Hunters etc. so tell me again how they're among the highest DPS? They really aren't.

I mean yes, there are fights where say a Boomykin might top out high if there's a lot of multidot stuff, but majority of fights, even a great Boomkin wont be in top 3.

Eh it depends on the patch, there were patches were my Moonkin laughed at mages in number 1 while other times I couldn't go past 6th on DPS.

You didn't play pre-wrath. Druids had 1, maybe 2 (sometimes) viable specs.

Yeah, like most classes pre wrath though. Even in WOTLK , cat was useless though.

because people are so used to having this god level status that they would all quit if Blizzard made them balanced.

Funny because one of our specs and the most powerful lore-wise is "Balance".
fleas
For all persons who are not druids the answer is simple.

Nobody ever said life was going to be fair.
08/20/2016 08:25 PMPosted by Stabriel

That sucks. I'm willing to bet a few of the higher-up staff happen to main and favorite Druid too.

Ghostcrawler mained Mage
Bashiok mained Rogue
thats all I know, doubt theres any monk mains tho :/
I feel like druid's true weakness is the limited number of races that have access to them...
Stealth.
Healing.
DPS.
Tanking.
Can fly.
All at the same time, in a single class and spec. What's their drawback? Because this isn't even a case of "Jack of all trades, master of none" because Druids have among the highest DPS, tanking, and healing of any class.

Someone just lost a duel.
08/20/2016 08:33 PMPosted by Sylaraei

Since the game came out?

Let me tell you about classic era druids- never mind that feral and balance wouldn't be truly viable till Wrath when they finally did things like allowing feral DPS to scale by weapon damage.

We had three healing spells, but you really only ever used one- HOTs were considered a buff, and you could only have one per target, which meant that if you cast it on a target, then someone with less +healing cast it, they just got an error message telling them a stronger buff was already on the target- in raids you really just spammed down ranked healing touch, you were a bad healer compared to priests, and you were actively discouraged from DPS'ing because there was a limited number of debuff slots per boss.

So you really only had three jobs- casting battle rez since only warlocks had one otherwise or self-casting shaman, casting innervate on priests, and absorbing druid epics that'd just get DE'd otherwise.

Yeah completely forgot about battle-rez, I knew there wazs another thing they were taken for.
08/20/2016 08:35 PMPosted by Onuris
Druids in BC were what one might consider a uber class. Especially before they nerfed Mangle when the pre expansion patch went live up until the post launch patch. (Post nerf cat dps was middling to good depending on the player, then feral dps got way too complicated eventually. DRUID JOHN MADDEN)

Progression guilds always had a bear tank or two, and cat DPS was insane. Resto was in a super amazing spot and incredibly mana efficient (though paladins were kings of that at the time but less throughput overall,) and their hots were strong as hell.

They were still really amazing in Wrath just not the powerhouses they were for almost all of BC, there is a reason player versus pillar became a term, and druids were mostly the reason. They've normalized a bit as Blizz has gotten better at overall design, but they're still an incredibly fun class to me since they're so versatile.

Player vs Pillar was mainly about the godly Blood and Frost DKs
I seem to remember in wrath every guild having a bear tank, do to their huge hp pools.

mana sponges x.x