Can we stop this high king nonsense now?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Now that Varian is dead the alliance has lost it's Warchi....i mean high king, so now can we stop with this high king nonsense the alliance doesn't have to be JUST like the horde. I liked it before where the alliance seemed more like a senate where all their leaders were equal. I mean Varian was cool character and all but the fact he started to make the rest of the alliance especially the leaders seem like they all just drool into a cup, I'm glad he's gone for that reason alone.

post continued on http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20748585947?page=1#post-2
Definitely prefer a high king to a senate.
Well, Anduin auto-defers to Velen, Malfurion will fall asleep again at some point, Tyrande will get bored and wander off and the three hammers will remain deadlocked until Moira's son comes of age, so... Velen for Peace Chief.
The position seemed like a military role anyway. There wasn't really much indication Varian was ever making domestic policy decisions for the other races.

It makes sense to have a central authority figure for military operations.
Not an Alliance player, so bear that in mind.

But, I honestly never saw any reason why a race of 10,000 year old Night Elves, other long-lived races like Dwarves, would bother listening to someone who's likely younger than some of their clothes.

By all rights and logic, Tyrande should be leader of their military forces, with a political council for those kinds of non-military decisions to make.
High Queen Jaina Proudmoore has a nice ring to it ...
08/15/2016 09:47 AMPosted by Amarlly

If Jaina had had her way at Broken Isles, we would have fought Gul'dan until every last able-bodied person was wiped from existence, all in the name of revenge for King Wrynn.

No, Jaina is NOT a good choice for a leader.
High King is just an assignment role given to a collection of 'Kings' or Leaders with a singular individual that presides over them on specific matters. In the case of The Alliance Varian and eventually Anduin (based on his comic) take the role of High King because of War. So in this case it is entirely militaristic in nature.

Anduin though may actually wind up being High King of the entire Alliance races due to events in Legion where the other races of the alliance loose their respective leaders.
08/15/2016 09:40 AMPosted by Jaerys
Well, Anduin auto-defers to Velen, Malfurion will fall asleep again at some point, Tyrande will get bored and wander off and the three hammers will remain deadlocked until Moira's son comes of age, so... Velen for Peace Chief.
I don't understand why Moira or her bastard son even have a place on the council.
Anduin is already named as the high king lore wise.

Also...

08/15/2016 09:41 AMPosted by Infernalism
Tyrande should be leader of their military forces

Absolutely not, not while Shandris Feathermoon, and Jarod Shadowsong are alive.

In fact I would say since they are alive there is no other person on Azeroth better equipped to lead our armies than one of them. But of course the young mage Khadgar will do it...
08/15/2016 09:53 AMPosted by Taji

If Jaina had had her way at Broken Isles, we would have fought Gul'dan until every last able-bodied person was wiped from existence, all in the name of revenge for King Wrynn.

Genn can be her military advisor then, he sees just as clearly what has to be done about the Horde, and was the first to call for retreat at the broken shore.
But, I honestly never saw any reason why a race of 10,000 year old Night Elves, other long-lived races like Dwarves, would bother listening to someone who's likely younger than some of their clothes.

Dwarves live about as long as humans.
Gnomes live shorter lives than humans.
Worgen ARE humans.
Draenei live immeasurably longer than everyone else. Last I saw, Velen is 60,000+ years old.

But Velen is not a military leader. Tyrande IS and has experience doing so.

Genn Greymane would have been a great choice, except that he's too obsessed with Sylvanas to be trusted to be in command.

By all rights and logic, Tyrande should be leader of their military forces, with a political council for those kinds of non-military decisions to make.

While a 10,000 year old being could offer wisdom and insight, they'd likely be a terrible war strategist due to their age as their comprehension of time is waaaaaay out of whack.

The older you get the smaller each unit of time becomes in proportion to your age. This is why things take forever when you're little and time flies when you're older.

1 year for a 10 year old is 1/10th their life. This is why children are impatient, everything feels like it's taking a crazy amount of time. i.e. "Are we there yet?" after just 15 minutes in a car.

So for someone 10,000 years old, entire wars would effectively take place in minutes. A human lifespan would be equivalent to one year of that 10 year old's life. A single war would happen quickly and you could easily miss something like a unit repositioning because it was a blink of an eye for you.

I know it's wrong to project real world human perception and cognition onto a fictional race, but it's really just a long-winded way of saying that being really old doesn't equate to being well suited to all tasks.

Let the delicious downvotes commence!
08/15/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Virgil
comprehension of time is waaaaaay out of whack.

no i'm pretty sure elves still live with the same amount of time and seconds anyone else in azeroth does. they dont age faster because they're older. it doesnt work like that.

just because you can find a weird-long winded reply to make sure elves dont get a place doesn't mean you're right.
08/15/2016 09:41 AMPosted by Asthas
The position seemed like a military role anyway. There wasn't really much indication Varian was ever making domestic policy decisions for the other races.

It makes sense to have a central authority figure for military operations.

Then appoint a suitable commander for joint operations.

08/15/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Virgil

While a 10,000 year old being could offer wisdom and insight, they'd likely be a terrible war strategist due to their age as their comprehension of time is waaaaaay out of whack.

The older you get the smaller each unit of time becomes in proportion to your age. This is why things take forever when you're little and time flies when you're older.

1 year for a 10 year old is 1/10th their life. This is why children are impatient, everything feels like it's taking a crazy amount of time. i.e. "Are we there yet?" after just 15 minutes in a car.

So for someone 10,000 years old, entire wars would effectively take place in minutes. A human lifespan would be equivalent to one year of that 10 year old's life. A single war would happen quickly and you could easily miss something like a unit repositioning because it was a blink of an eye for you.

I know it's wrong to project real world human perception and cognition onto a fictional race, but it's really just a long-winded way of saying that being really old doesn't equate to being well suited to all tasks.

Let the delicious downvotes commence!

While you are factually correct that the longer you live, the shorter each year seems, and this will play havoc with us if we ever become immortal, this does not actually affect your real-time cognition.

If it did, Tyrande and Velen probably wouldn't be able to carry on a normal conversation anymore. They'd be talking as slowly as Ents. They're not. They're aware of everything going on around them. They don't miss stuff.
08/15/2016 09:53 AMPosted by Taji

Uhh... At what point did Jaina say that was what she wanted to do?
08/15/2016 09:58 AMPosted by Lokki

...Why?

It's essentially a military command position. Anduin has no military background of any sort, he's not skilled at fighting (my three times seeing him in a fight involved him bubbling until it was over, mind-controlling the enemy and running away, and almost sacrificing his own life to destroy a superweapon), his training has largely been as a Priest in the Exodar so he likely hasn't had much in the way of military strategy lessons, and he has never found himself in command of any size fighting force whatsoever.

In what POSSIBLE way could he be considered qualified for this position?

no he isn't.. that comic is decades in the future and there is no reason to think that another member of Alliance leaderhsip doesn't fill the roe for now.

i would argue that it seems Greymane has the title in Legion since he seems to be the one leading most of the Alliance forces in the Broken Isles.

Hence why the Horde section of Dalaran is named after Sylvanas and the Alliance section is names after Greymane
08/15/2016 10:44 AMPosted by Darksmear

no he isn't.. that comic is decades in the future and there is no reason to think that another member of Alliance leaderhsip doesn't fill the roe for now.

i would argue that it seems Greymane has the title in Legion since he seems to be the one leading most of the Alliance forces in the Broken Isles.

Hence why the Horde section of Dalaran is named after Sylvanas and the Alliance section is names after Greymane

...They released a comic about events decades in the future?

Way to spoil any time you ever put those characters in peril! (hint: they survive)