Oudated XD memes please unsticky

Warlock
Introduction:

This guide is here to cover the basics of Demonology in pve over the course of Legion. It will primarily be focusing on end game raiding but I'll try and keep it updated for mythic+ dungeons as well.

Please feel free to discuss anything about the spec here, be it you disagreeing with something, needing help, general questions or you just want to meme it up.

If you ever need rotation help feel free to post here but please read this first so you can log and post said logs here, I can’t help you if you don't give me your logs
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15538506318

A big thank you to these people:
Without these people I would not have been able to post this.

Not for making a guide on MMO so I could read it and make my guide based on it since he and others covered almost everything.
Silver for being Not's theorycrafting monkey so I could read it and take it :P.
OOMM for making some of the most amazing Weak Auras so lazy raiders like myself don't have to make our own.
Zinnin for developing zPets which will make life a lot easier for lazy raiders like myself.
Terryn & Gahhdo for making Simcraft work, seriously thank you.
Hedo for making his logging guide.

Table of contents:
Legion Changes
Stats, Enchants, Gems and Consumables
Legendaries and Gearing
Talents and traits
Rotation
Addons, Macro and weak auras
Sources

Legion changes:
Metamorphosis is gone, no more chaos wave and we no longer use demonic fury some old abilities have been changed and I'll talk about them later.
We now utilizes temp summons to deal the majority of our damage which cost Soul Shards, Soul Shards cap at 5.
We generate Soul Shards via shadowbolt, demonwrath,Doom ticks and if talented Shadowflame and a 50% chance on Demonic empowerment with power trip.
Our mastery also changed from being flat damage +big boost during meta into a flat damage boost for our pets when Demonic empowerment is active.

We also no longer have weapon drops as we all now have artifact weapons, we utilise the Skull of the Man'ari (Thal'kiel) who will serve as our path for character progression this xpac while also roasting us from time to time and making quips on what we do.
Stats, Enchants and Consumables:

Intellect: Increased spell damage through spell power coefficient.

Haste: Increases how quickly we cast, how quickly Doom will tick and the cast speed and attack speed of all of our pets, perma and temp.

Mastery: Flat damage % boost for all of our pets and summons while Demonic Empowerment is on them.

Critical Strike: increases the rate in which you roll for critical damage.

Versatility: flat damage and healing gain and reduced damage taken by half the flat amount.

The current stat weight is
Haste: 1.23
Int: 1
Crit: 0.82
Vers: 0.82
Mastery: 0.78

Enchants: Haste on rings, Int on cloak, Mark of the Hidden Satyr on your neck

Gems: All haste (Quick Dawnlight) outside of one intellect one (Saber's Eye of Intellect is unique equip)

Flask: Flask of the Whispered Pact, gives 1300 int.

Food: Azshari Salad gives 375 haste

Potion: Deadly Grace is the potion of choice however if you are on a budget gunpowder charges are fine.

Gearing:
Please note the following list does not include legendary items and will update once more at a later date.

Head: Collar of Enclosure from Corstilax in The Arcway

Neck: Chain of Hundred Maws from Mind Flayer Kaahrj in The Arcway

Shoulders: Amice of the Unfurling from Advisor Melandrus in Court of Stars

Cloak: Goldscar Pelt from Fenryr in Halls of Valor

Chest: Fluxflow Robes from Advisor Vandros in The Arcway

Bracer: Armbands of Slaughter from Sael’orn in Assault on Violet hold

Gloves: Satin Throatclutchers Blood-Princess from Thal’ena in Assault on the Violet hold

Belt: Waistband of Spiritual Doom from Cordana in Vault of the Wardens

Legs: Leggings of Swirling Runes from Odyn in Halls of Valor

Feet: Slippers of Martyrdom from Wrath of Azshara in Eye of Azshara

Ring: Band of Fused Coral Wrath from of Azshara in Eye of Azshara

Ring: Fran’s Intractable Loop from World Boss in The Broken Isles

Trinket: Naraxas’ Spiked Tongue from Naraxas in Neltharion’s Lair

Trinket: Oakheart’s Gnarled Root from Oakheart in Darkheart thicket

Shadow Artifact Relic: Shadow of the Vault from Cordana in Vault of the Wardens

Fire Artifact Relic: Flamewreath Spark from Talixae Flamewreath in Court of Stars

Fel Artifact Relic: Ragnarok Ember from God-King Skovald in Halls of Valor

Item Sets
Pre-Raid:
Vestments of the Black Harvest
(2 Pieces): Increases your out-of-combat regeneration in outdoor Broken Isles zones.
(4 Pieces): While you are below 35% health you take 50% reduced damage in outdoor Broken Isles zones.
(6 Pieces): Intellect increased by 1,000.
(8 Pieces): Spending a Soul Shard has a chance to increase your Mastery by 700 for 10 sec.

T19:
Legacy of Azj'Aqir
(2 Pieces): Doom has a 50% chance to generate an additional Soul Shard.
(4 Pieces): Dreadstalkers last 4 sec longer.

Note Nighthold is not being released at the start and will come out later on so t19 will not be obtainable for a long time.

Legendaries:
These are powerful items than can drop from anywhere and be found in loot caches as well, there is no real way to farm these other than just playing and you will be limited to equipping one until much later where you can equip two.
All legendaries are ilvl 895, I will not list all of them here and will only list the demo specific ones.

Kazzak's Final Curse: Waist, +1479 Intellect, +2219 Stamina, +496 Haste, +662 Mastery
Equip: Doom deals 5% increased damage for each demon pet you have active.

Sin’dorei Spite: Wrist, +1110 Intellect, +1665 Stamina, +556 Critical Strike, +310 haste
Equip: For 25 sec after casting Summon Doomguard or Summon Infernal you and your minions deal 30% increased damage.
With Grimoire of Supremacy this effect is gained only once every 3 minutes

Wilfred’s Sigil of Superior Summoning: Finger, +1665 Stamina, +1241 Haste, +931 Mastery.
Equip: Each Dreadstalker, Wild Imp and Summon Dark Glare summoned reduced the cooldown of Summon Doomguard and Summon Infernal by 2 seconds.

Note this is per demon summoned and includes wild imps from Improved Dreadstalkers.

Recurrent Ritual: Shoulder, +1479 Intellect, +2219 Stamina, +745 Critical Strike, +413 Mastery.
Equip: Call Dreadstalkers refunds 2 Soul Shards.
Talents:

Tier One:
Shadowy Inspiration: Demonic Empowerment also causes your next Shadowbolt to instant.

Shadowflame: Instant cast 40 yard range, Lobs a ball of shadow flame at the target dealing (100% of spell power) shadowflame damage immediately, and another (140% of spell power) shadowflame damage over 8 seconds stacking 3 times. Two charges, 14 second recharge.

Demonic Calling: Shadowbolt has a 20% chance and Demonwrath has a 5% chance to make your next Call Dreadstalkers cost no shards.

Currently Shadowy Inspiration isn't worth using.

Demonic Calling is a valid choice but you can get unlucky streaks, however this will most likely see more use if you have the Recurrent Ritual shoulders causing your Call Dreadstalkers to not only be free but generate shards.

Shadowflame works exactly like the old Hand of Gul'dan without being AoE, it currently is suggested to take this for instant soul shards and if you can weave the stacking in correctly it provides a nice damage boost.

Tier Two:

Impending Doom: Doom also summons one wild imp when it deals damage.

Improved Dreadstalkers: Call Dreadstalkers now also summons 2 wild Imps.

Implosion: Instant cast 40 yard range, Demonic Forces suck all of your wild imps toward the target and then cause them to violently explode dealing (200% of spell power) shadowflame damage to all enemies within 8 yards.

Impending Doom will only have a niche on fights like council where you can constantly have adds live long enough for Doom to tick otherwise it is subpar for pure single target.

Improved Dreadstalkers will be the go to talent for single target as it increases damage done by Thal’kiel’s Consumption but also has synergy with Wilfred’s ring adding another 4 seconds to the cooldown reduction through the Imps.

Implosion will the go to for burst AoE, it can be used on fights that need AoE but are primarily single target but getting the most out of it will require finesse, I'd suggest this for dungeon play.

Tier three:

Demon Skin: Your Soul Leech absorption now passively recharges at a rate of 1% of maximum health every 1 sec, and may now absorb up to 20% of maximum health.

Mortal Coil: Instant cast 20 yard range, Horry the target for 3 seconds and healing you for 11% of your max hp 45 second cooldown.

Shadowfury: 1.5 second cast 30 yard range, stuns all enemies within 8 yards for 4 seconds 30 second cooldown.

Demon Skin will be the go to choice however Shadowfury can be useful in many higher end M+ dungeons.

Tier Four:

Hand of Doom: Hand of Gul’dan now applies Doom to all enemies hit

Power Trip: Demonic Empowerment now has a 50% chance to generate a soul shard when used in combat.

Soul Harvest: Instant Cast: Causes you and your pets to deal 20% increased damage for 10 seconds increased by 2 seconds for each enemy afflicted by Doom up to a cap of 30 seconds.

Hand of Doom will be the go to AoE talent and might be more than viable on 2 sustained targets or more but we will know for sure when sims are out. It has good synergy with the lv 100 talent Summon Darkglare.

Powertrip a decent choice for single target fights as it does not require tracking at all.

Soul Harvest is looking to be a strong cooldown but requires a lot of thought and planning to put it to good use with Thal’kiel’s consumption.

For now I’d suggest Hand of Doom for 2+ targets and Powertrip for single target.

Tier Five:

Demonic Circle: 0.5 sec cast time summons a demonic circle on the ground for 6 min allowing you to cast it again to teleport to its location, removing all slow effects. Limit 1.

Burning Rush: Instant, Increases movement speed by 50% but also damages you for 4% of your maximum health every 1 sec. Movement impairing effects may not reduce you below 100%, lasts until canceled.

Dark Pact: Instant, Sacrifice 20% of your Demon’s current health to shield you for 400% of the amount for 20 seconds. Usable while stunned. 1 min cooldown

Demonic Circle and Dark Pact will likely be the go to talents based on the fight, be mindful that Demonic Circle requires a cancel aura macro to set up another circle one will be provided below.

Tier Six:

Grimoire of Supremacy: Allows you to maintain your Doomguard or Infernal as a permanent pet but removes your ability to use them as cooldowns.

Grimoire of Service: Instant 1 soul shard cost. Allows you to summon a second demon for 25 seconds which deal 100% increased damage this demon will also use one of its special abilities when summoned. 1.5 min cooldown

Imp: Cleanse 1 harmful effect from you
Voidwalker: Taunt your target
Succubus: Seduce your target
Fel Hunter: Interrupt your target
Felguard: stun your target

Grimoire of Synergy: Approximately 2.5 procs per minute, damage you or your demon deal have a chance to grant the other one 40% increased damage for 15 secs.

The tier is well balanced but Synergy is the current winner in raid situations, service is good if you require and on demand damage boost and supremacy is only useful if you don't want any extra buttons to press.

Tier Seven:

Summon Dark Glare: Instant, 1 soul shard cost. Summons a Darkglare for 12 seconds that launches eye lasers at all targets afflicted by your Doom dealing (100% spell power) shadow damage

Demonbolt: replaces shadow bolt, 2 second cast time. Draws energy from your demons and launches a ball of demonic energy at the target dealing (80% spell power) Chaos damage. Damage is increased by 20% for each demon you have active, generates 1 soul shard.

Soul Conduit: Every Soul Shard you spend has a 20% chance of to be refunded.

Summon Dark Glare for AoE in conjunction with Hand of Doom, Demonbolt is the go to choice for single target and Soul Conduit is a mix of the two but I’d only suggest it for dungeons.

Artifact:

Skull of the Man’ari

Once you complete the quest giving you the artifact you will be greeted by a progression path and a new ability.

Thal’kiel’s Consumption is a new nuke you will get once you acquire the weapon.

Thal’kiel’ drain’s 6% of our current demon’s HP and deals it as damage to a target. This is our biggest hitting nuke and makes up a large portion of our dps.

The health siphon effect does not occur until the end of the cast, so keep in mind the current duration of your pets before casting this. It is also better to hold off on casting it if you have bigger demons that can line up with it such as service demon or doomguard.

Currently you will start making your journey down the left hand path (heh warlocks)

Major Gold Traits:

Stolen Power: When your wild imps cast Firebolt you gain an application of stolen power, at 100 your next Shadowbolt will deal 100% bonus damage and Demonbolt will deal 50% bonus damage.

The Expendables: When your wild imps expire or die your other demons 1% additional damage stacking 10 times.

Thal’kiels Discord: Shadowbolt and Demonbolt have a chance to enrage Thal’kiel causing him to teleport to an enemy and scream for (4*(100% of spell power)) shadow damage to all enemies over 6 seconds.

Minor Traits:

Breath of Thal’kiel: Increases your shadow and fire damage by 5%

Summoners Prowess: Increases the haste and health bonus of empowerment by 2% and an additional 2% per rank, 3 ranks.

The Doom of Azeroth: Increases Doom damage by 10% per rank, 3 ranks.

Imp-erator: Increases the critical strike chance of your wild imps firebolt by 35% 1 rank.

Open Link: Increases all healing done by soul link by 10% per rank, 3 ranks.

Maw of Shadows: Increases Shadowbolt/Demonbolt’s critical strike chance by 5% per rank, 3 ranks.

Infernal Furnace: Increases the damage dealt by your Wild Imps’ firebolt by 10% per rank, 3 ranks.

Doom, Doubled: Doom has a chance to deal double damage, 1 rank.

Dirty hands: Increases damage dealt by Hand of Gul’dan by 5% per rank, 3 ranks.

Legion Wrath: Increased damage dealt by Demonwrath by 10% per rank, 3 ranks.

Firm Resolve: Reduces the cooldown of Undying Resolve 10 secs per rank, 3 ranks.

Soul Skin: When your health drops below 35% your soul link increases to split 40% of you take with your demon, 1 rank.

Sharpened Dreadfangs: Increases the critical strike chance of your Dreadstalkers by 5% per rank, 3 ranks.

The current path you want to go down will looks like this (thank you Not)
http://i.imgur.com/iI6wK2J.png

You will want to level a second artifact after those 19 so you can swap specs if your guild requires you too.

There will be more here once we know which relic slots are best but for now ilvl trumps everything I believe?
Rotations:

Single target rotation:
Going to tl:dr this and steal Not’s priority one

Demonic Empowerment > Doom > Call Dreadstalkers > Hand of Gul'dan > Demonbolt

General Thal'kiel's Consumption usage: 2 Dreadstalkers, 8 Wild Imps

Use Demonic Empowerment on prepull then pot and use Shadowbolt/Demonbolt depending on your talent choices and haste at 3 or 1 second left.

Basic sustained AoE rotation:

Once again stealing Not’s

Priority Rotation
Demonic Empowerment>Doomguard> Grimoire Felguard>Doom>Hand of Gul’dan>Implosion > Darkglare> Call Dreadstalkers>Shadowbolt

Time your implosion so that the next global after Hand of Guldan is Implosion so that it only blows your oldest imps first.

Thal’kiel’s Consumption usage: 2 dreadtalkers, 8 wild imps, 1 Darkglare if you can line up Thal’kiel’s Consumption with Service Felguard and or your Doomguard do so in conjunction with the general usage demons.

Addons, Macros and Weak Auras:

Addons and Macros are useful in the world of raiding, a lot of ones can come down to preference so I’m just going to link some general use ones.

Weak Auras 2: This is an amazing addon that can do almost anything if you have the knowledge on how to use it if you can’t use it well (like me) you can always copy other people’s Weak Auras and import them (Like I do)

Here is Not’s complete Demonology Weak Auras : https://wago.io/E1VeoE0DW

DBM/Big Wigs: Whichever one you want to use just download and install it, just something that will scream at you when you stand in bad.

Demonic Circle Canel Aura Macro:
Since Demonic Circle got pruned into one button of pure class fantasy you will now need a cancel aura macro to set up a new circle.

#showtooltip Demonic Circle
/cancelaura Demonic Circle
/cast Demonic Circle

Sources:

Simcraft data, this will be expanded upon once it is available.

Not’s guide on MMO-C which can be found here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2029996-Legion-Not-s-Demonology-Guide

Warlock discord was a useful source of information: https://discord.gg/BHDz9

Change log: Spoiler alert...
Minor text fixes.
Added BiS list for pre-raid.
Updates Stat priority and neck enchant.
Changed talent suggestions.
420memes
and the triforce of dankmemes is complete!
08/18/2016 10:49 PMPosted by Cryptrot
and the triforce of dankmemes is complete!

Δ TRIANGLE B I T C H Δ
Forgot we can't edit titles so I can't add Guide into the name anymore rip.
nice guide, thank you for taking the time to do this.

suggestion/something to think about for future mention.

when to use demo (type of pve content or fights), best for ST burst or sustained? aoe burst or sustained? best used for longer raid bosses, long living trash? viable/desireable for mythic+ dungeons?

I know the answers can't be given now, we still need to see if any changes will be forth coming at Legion release, or shortly thereafter.
08/19/2016 10:00 AMPosted by Nakkiel
Forgot we can't edit titles so I can't add Guide into the name anymore rip.
It's going to be great trying to get 7.1 guides going :^)
Ayyyy I got a mention! Good guide good stuff, wtb sticky pls
For hand of guldan, it is best to wait for a full 4 shard? Is it proper to delay a 4 shard if dreads talkers is off cool down in 2 sec?
Question Since DE is only on active demons wouldn't you want to cast it after every demon summon as it adds 50% haste and health to them? seems just casting before will put it only on the felguard.
For well-put-together guide for demo locks. I can definitely agree on the pre-raid set it's the way to go

+1
08/21/2016 09:28 AMPosted by Darkmn
Question Since DE is only on active demons wouldn't you want to cast it after every demon summon as it adds 50% haste and health to them? seems just casting before will put it only on the felguard.

That is part of the priority with DE being top, if you have a demon Un empowered, empower it.
08/21/2016 09:05 AMPosted by Nátaku
For hand of guldan, it is best to wait for a full 4 shard? Is it proper to delay a 4 shard if dreads talkers is off cool down in 2 sec?

Ideally you want to only use HoG on 4 shards, the artifact ability kinda throws a wrench in timings because the more demons you have up the more damage it's going to do.

So say TKC is coming off cooldown in about 4 seconds or so if you have the haste to fit in say a 2-3 shard HoG or if Demonic calling proc'd you want to get those out ASAP so you can empower them and use TKC.
08/19/2016 10:17 AMPosted by Xiaren
nice guide, thank you for taking the time to do this.

suggestion/something to think about for future mention.

when to use demo (type of pve content or fights), best for ST burst or sustained? aoe burst or sustained? best used for longer raid bosses, long living trash? viable/desireable for mythic+ dungeons?

I know the answers can't be given now, we still need to see if any changes will be forth coming at Legion release, or shortly thereafter.

Agreed, I sorta left it out because at the moment Demo doesn't do anything better than the other two specs outside of on demand implosion burst AoE (Aff has better sustained) hopefully once tuning finishes and simcraft is done I can give a better answer.

I'll edit it later saying Demo will most likely not be the primary spec we run.

For Mythic Dungeons it's pretty much play Aff which makes me sad, hopefully things change but currently its not looking good for demo on the dungeon front.

08/20/2016 09:08 PMPosted by Rëdë
Ayyyy I got a mention! Good guide good stuff, wtb sticky pls

Haha no worries man, I'm pretty bad with knowing who everyone is, who are you in that list xD sorry :(.

08/21/2016 09:05 AMPosted by Nátaku

You will want to always dump HoG at 4 shards unless you are trying to get another quick cast in before TKC which will depend on your haste rating.

In legion it will depend on talents. You might want to 4 shard dump HoG if you can fish a Demonic Calling proc or have one banked other than that delay for Dreadstalkers as they are always better than 4 imps I believe more so if running Improved Dreadstalkers.

08/21/2016 09:28 AMPosted by Darkmn

Pretty much DE after summons. If you have Demonic Calling and can dump HoG and Dreadstalkers right after each other then DE after the Dreadstalker summon.
Plz add section for herald of the titans, this is 4.20 / 10 until then.
@Nakk it is Silver Sargeras is terrible for getting names :(
08/22/2016 07:09 AMPosted by Rëdë
@Nakk it is Silver Sargeras is terrible for getting names :(

:) thank you for all your hard work.