Day and Night are Backwards

Oceanic General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
09/28/2016 05:31 AMPosted by Cordobha
Blizzard please fix this, give an option to set the skybox to local time the same way you can do it for the clock, this is killing immersion. Dalaran looks so good bathed in sunlight, but I don't want to see the sun coming up when it's 8pm local time or stars when I log in at noon on a Saturday..

Agreed.
So as some of you know, this came as a result of the Oceanic realms being made part of the NA region. We did this so that players in Australia and New Zealand can see and group up with US folks in outside areas. This was something that was brought up by the community both here and on social media earlier this year. In unifying the region as a whole, it now operates on a single timezone.

To change the appearance on the in-game time of day, we could look into some cosmetic tech that would change the skybox based on the home-server’s timezone. However, that could lead to weird things like seeing NPCs carrying torches in broad daylight, or time-based events like the sunset festival in Pandaria happening in the middle of the night, etc. If NA and ANZ players are going to play together outdoors, there needs to be one consistent state of the world for everyone.

Please carry on giving your thoughts on this. As always, we'll be monitoring the situation :)
If the issue is uniformity between US/AU players then how about treating the clock time the same way you treat PVP status and resource nodes.

That is, who ever is "leader" their clock time is the one displayed to the rest of the group.

And when you leave the group you go back to your "home" time.
I personally miss having the day/night cycle synced to my local time.

It isn't game breaking or preventing me from enjoying the game but it would certainly make me happy if there was a solution that suited everybody.
im sick of 95% of my playtime being in the dark. its depressing.
its probably one of the reasons im not really enjoying legion. its always dark.
just give us the option to turn off the night.
09/29/2016 09:27 PMPosted by Takralus
To change the appearance on the in-game time of day, we could look into some cosmetic tech that would change the skybox based on the home-server’s timezone. However, that could lead to weird things like seeing NPCs carrying torches in broad daylight, or time-based events like the sunset festival in Pandaria happening in the middle of the night, etc.

I think that an NPC carrying a torch around in daytime will be slightly less immersion-breaking than seeing the sun go down at 8 in the morning. I don't even know why having some Pandarian festival at night time is preventing having a correct visual aesthetic across the entire world.

I was actually gobsmacked when played at 3am or so and I was up in Highmountain with those clear blue skies, unfortunately the majority of Australian players will probably never see it.
09/29/2016 09:40 PMPosted by Spankyhunter
im sick of 95% of my playtime being in the dark. its depressing.
its probably one of the reasons im not really enjoying legion. its always dark.
just give us the option to turn off the night.

The dark is definitely depressing as a constant. I feel so lucky to just catch a sunset.
Just had my first pure weekend to chillax and play WoW...it is extremely off putting spending my entire Saturday afternoon playing in the twilight (which feels great on those moments I log on after work or dinner at 9pm) ...but not during the daylight.

So...as of now we're handicapped anyway when it comes to sunset or sunrise...or fishing events, because it means we have to do them at 2am in order to witness it >:(

Again...deactivate the day/night cycle until it is fixed...I feel like I'm playing Assassins Creed night missions....the game is far too dark
I would rather have irregular npc's and events than the day/night cycle we have now. It ruins the immersion and I'm always playing in the dark. As others have said, it's depressing and it's strange logging on at 2pm to pitch black skies.

Immersion for the entire OCE playerbase or a minor immersion inconvenience for a few select players who still attend the Pandaria event or notice an NPC with a torch?

I think I'd know which one most prefer.
As I previously suggested, its a game, there is zero reasons the day and night need to be full cycles for a 24 hour period, just make the shorter, so instead of 8 hours for instance make them 4, this will result in all of us getting day and night, not just night..
When I first saw this behaviour, I thought that a non-24-hour day/night cycle would be optimal too. It's great to see that other people have already posted that same idea.

Azeroth is a fictional world. It doesn't need to be bound to the same cycle that we have here on Earth. It would be really cool for players that can only play at specific hours to be able to have more chances to enjoy the beautiful days and relaxing nights in Warcraft. Plus, some zones have downright gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. It's a shame that many players likely cannot experience them as it is!
some parts of the broken isles are way to dark at night. I would appreciate it if I could see those zones in daylight as it would enhance my immersion.

Or please let us use torches so we don't hve to muck around with gamma settings.
So as some of you know, this came as a result of the Oceanic realms being made part of the NA region. We did this so that players in Australia and New Zealand can see and group up with US folks in outside areas. This was something that was [url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20350345202"]brought up[/url] by the community both here and on social media earlier this year. In unifying the region as a whole, it now operates on a single timezone.

To change the appearance on the in-game time of day, we could look into some cosmetic tech that would change the skybox based on the home-server’s timezone. However, that could lead to weird things like seeing NPCs carrying torches in broad daylight, or time-based events like the sunset festival in Pandaria happening in the middle of the night, etc. If NA and ANZ players are going to play together outdoors, there needs to be one consistent state of the world for everyone.

Please carry on giving your thoughts on this. As always, we'll be monitoring the situation :)

Could care less if they had torches in daylight, I want daytime in my games. I picked an Oceanic realm to have the time set to my time and for the day cycle to be appropriate! Playing in the dark while it's broad daylight outside is !@#$. We finally got our own servers and now have great ping which is so appreciated but you can't get the damn sky to be the right light now? Remove grouping with NA realms if you have to. Daylight in daylight.

Originally I thought you guys had swapped to the style FFXIV had, which when I played for a short period I loved. I got to see day and night whenever I played, it was so good! This would be infinitely better also.
Think we all agree for sacrifices to be made so we can enjoy WoW at daytime.
Would love to see the game time synced with real time as well. Not very technically minded myself, so I don't know how to fix it. It's just ruining the immersion for me greatly always seeing night time in the game.

I haven't played WoW in years, and I came back to it recently. I was shocked to see one of my favourite elements taken away (being the real time synced with game time). It truly did make it better to play at day and see day time in the game. I miss day time in the game.
Bring back daytime please. Immersion breaking.
It seems like a small thing but this is really depressing. Since I've started playing again I've never, EVER seen a single zone during the daytime. I used to love exploring the landscape with the sun out, and seeing the blue sky. Now it's always night-time. Please do something about it :(
So as some of you know, this came as a result of the Oceanic realms being made part of the NA region. We did this so that players in Australia and New Zealand can see and group up with US folks in outside areas. This was something that was [url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20350345202"]brought up[/url] by the community both here and on social media earlier this year. In unifying the region as a whole, it now operates on a single timezone.

It seems really bizarre to consider time-based events over this when the average oceanic player will never experience them for the exact same reason.

If realm hopping’s the problem, I’d much rather be locked to Oceania than be stuck in eternal gloom (unless you stay up to 3am).
Am I the only one who wants darker nights? I'm all for having day / night the way it's supposed to be but I would love darker nights. I honestly can't really tell most of the times whether the sun is out or not tbh.
10/11/2016 12:35 AMPosted by Septicflesh
Am I the only one who wants darker nights? I'm all for having day / night the way it's supposed to be but I would love darker nights. I honestly can't really tell most of the times whether the sun is out or not tbh.

I’d dig that, but not when it’s the only thing you experience.