Who else picked Ebonchill?

Mage
I definitely did! It's interesting going around with Lonely winter, doing great damage!
Gonna lock the Legion down in a New Ice Age!
08/30/2016 02:10 PMPosted by Coralynne
08/30/2016 01:29 PMPosted by Thelmaria
How'd you get past the last demon on the artifact quest? Can't get him below 40%, no matter what i do. Total design fail, as it looks from my web searches that this has been an issue all along.

I just finished it and had no problems, and I'm very rusty. Maybe a bug? I had to use a health pot on the step before with the waves while you channel, but the last demon was fine.

They aren't actually coming in waves in that they are not on a time table. Each wave spawns only once you start each channel on the focusing crystal. So if one wave gave you problems, you can eat up afterwards before continuing.
08/31/2016 12:07 PMPosted by Vivitix
I definitely did! It's interesting going around with Lonely winter, doing great damage!

I considered Lonely Winter because I don't like the elemental, but I love the extra Fingers of Frost procs or being able to freeze my enemies in place from a distance. Bone Chilling adds some extra damage and doesn't break up my rotation like Ray of Frost would.
08/31/2016 03:39 PMPosted by Ilorien

I considered Lonely Winter because I don't like the elemental, but I love the extra Fingers of Frost procs or being able to freeze my enemies in place from a distance. Bone Chilling adds some extra damage and doesn't break up my rotation like Ray of Frost would.

What would you say your average stack of Bone Chilling is, at any given time? I'd be interested in trying to calculate its uptime.
08/31/2016 03:39 PMPosted by Ilorien

I switched to bone chilling while leveling, because there really haven't been many opportune times to cast ray. Anything I encounter dies pretty fast. Yeah there's the occasional elite, but those don't appear enough to justify not taking the extra damage from bone chilling the rest of the time.
I picked it. I stopped worrying about min/maxing when we became a casual raiding guild.
Been having a blast with frost. No ragrets.
09/01/2016 08:19 AMPosted by Kearvek

I switched to bone chilling while leveling, because there really haven't been many opportune times to cast ray. Anything I encounter dies pretty fast. Yeah there's the occasional elite, but those don't appear enough to justify not taking the extra damage from bone chilling the rest of the time.

So you have the elemental? I watched the YouTube video Wowhead made of this scenario and that mage had the elemental. I took Lonely Winter on my mage and he can't get that boss down below about 40%.

Everybody says, "steal Quickening!" but hey, there must be something going on in my case, because he has never, NEVER, cast Quickening. He spams Fel Flame and that's it, no matter how many times I tried it.

Currently, my mage is dead there. I'll have to look into his talents when I have time.
09/01/2016 11:32 AMPosted by Deringer
09/01/2016 08:19 AMPosted by Kearvek

So you have the elemental? I watched the YouTube video Wowhead made of this scenario and that mage had the elemental. I took Lonely Winter on my mage and he can't get that boss down below about 40%.

Everybody says, "steal Quickening!" but hey, there must be something going on in my case, because he has never, NEVER, cast Quickening. He spams Fel Flame and that's it, no matter how many times I tried it.

Currently, my mage is dead there. I'll have to look into his talents when I have time.

Yeah I like the water ele (especially when leveling), so I've never specced Lonely Winter. For the quest to get Ebonchill I went Ray of Frost instead of bone chilling with Rune of Power. I posted a video earlier of my fight to win Ebonchill, but here it is again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbILPRllu38&feature=youtu.be

As a tip that someone in my guild found that was really struggling with the guy is that he appears to scale based on your gear. He learned this by noticing the boss health dropping as his gear broke from dying so much. So he gimped his gear setup a bit, and said it was a lot easier for him.

To each their own. I'll give him credit for finding a way around it.
Are you guys talking about Balaadur or whatever his name is? The one holding Ebonchill?

I honestly don't understand how that boss fight is giving anyone trouble. It was as forgettable a fight as pretty much any named quest-mob in the game. There must be a bug for some people or something. The guy wasn't even elite and he melted. You can even counterspell him IIRC.
09/01/2016 12:45 PMPosted by Amoc
Are you guys talking about Balaadur or whatever his name is? The one holding Ebonchill?

I honestly don't understand how that boss fight is giving anyone trouble. It was as forgettable a fight as pretty much any named quest-mob in the game. There must be a bug for some people or something. The guy wasn't even elite and he melted. You can even counterspell him IIRC.

There are a number of things that can be going on, but the fight didn't last long enough for me to know what the boss does mechanically.

I've done all 3 artifact chains, and so far the named mob before the final mob on the arcane quest line was the only one I'd call challenging.
08/30/2016 01:29 PMPosted by Thelmaria
How'd you get past the last demon on the artifact quest? Can't get him below 40%, no matter what i do. Total design fail, as it looks from my web searches that this has been an issue all along.

Spell steal.his buff tw
Dropped fast.
As soon as I entered the room, I killed the closest two fel orbs, popped Icy Veins, and started nuking. When Baladdur used Quickening, I stole it for even more frostbolts. I found this legendary mage killer to be kind of a pushover.
09/01/2016 01:03 PMPosted by Kearvek

There are a number of things that can be going on, but the fight didn't last long enough for me to know what the boss does mechanically.

[/quote]

I did it in one shot at last (Deringer alt). I did it exactly as you said you did, too. The thing is, if you don't have RoF or RoP, you're boned. I also forgot to summon my elemental, lol. It may be that the presence of the elemental makes Baladuur use his rotation, 'cause once again he went right to Fel Flame. It hit me while channeling RoF, but with Ice Barrier I didn't take any damage.

Thanks for the tip!
08/30/2016 07:30 PMPosted by Ilorien
I love my Ebonchill. I hit 101 tonight in Stormheim, and I love casting tons of spells. I'm glad I realized that Glacial Spike was a bad idea before trying to level as Frost. Comet Storm doesn't add as much burst, but it doesn't have that horrendous cast time.

pet nova > glacial spike MASSIVE damage then you can pump the mobs full of ice lances
09/01/2016 01:03 PMPosted by Kearvek
09/01/2016 12:45 PMPosted by Amoc

I've done all 3 artifact chains, and so far the named mob before the final mob on the arcane quest line was the only one I'd call challenging.

I killed him so fast he didnt even drop the staff, not sure how people cant kill him unless they do not know the strength of rune of power ray of frost
08/30/2016 07:30 PMPosted by Ilorien
I love my Ebonchill. I hit 101 tonight in Stormheim, and I love casting tons of spells. I'm glad I realized that Glacial Spike was a bad idea before trying to level as Frost. Comet Storm doesn't add as much burst, but it doesn't have that horrendous cast time.

Yes.....Glacial Spike PLUS Ebonbolt is just WAY WAY too long of cast times. I can stand only one cast time of that length. Too bad Comet storm is so damn weak now. :(
09/01/2016 04:19 PMPosted by Ilorien
As soon as I entered the room, I killed the closest two fel orbs, popped Icy Veins, and started nuking. When Baladdur used Quickening, I stole it for even more frostbolts. I found this legendary mage killer to be kind of a pushover.

Yes he was easy cheesy.
Just CS and SS and its cake!
Loving Frost at the moment. Don't even really care about numbers since I'll be raiding as a filthy casual this time around (though it hasn't been nearly as bad as everyone is saying for dungeons).

Ebonbolt is a lot of fun to use, there's no need to run RoP and when you get loads of procs you feel like an absolute boss. Flurry+Ice Nova is also a lot of fun to set up and hits damn hard. Even Ray of Frost is fun once you learn which big mobs/bosses have a knock back or stun.

I'm also (kind of) loving just how many buttons Frost has. Not sure what everyone was going on about with their talk of pruning. Ice Nova, Ice Lance, Ebonbolt, Frostbolt, Orb, Flurry, Water Jet/Freeze, Frost Bomb, Ice Floes, Ray of Frost, Blizzard, Comet Storm... Running a dungeon and having potentially 13 damaging spells (yes there are passives, and yes my talents are likely not optimal) feels quite amazing.