GUILD RENAMED

Customer Support
Hello, my battletag is [Removed]. One of my WoW characters, Toxicboy, is a guild leader on Tichondrius and my guild name was <GAY BOYS>. My guild name was automatically changed due to reports and I don't think it was actually against any rules.

There is nothing inappropriate about the word "gay". I'm a proud homosexual man and I can't believe that there are still homophobic oppressive companies like BLIZZARD in the year 2016 that continue to induce emotional trauma on me by making me hide my sexuality. This is a direct violation of my 14th amendment right of equal protection under the law by discriminating against me and denying me a service from your company due to my sexuality.

I would really appreciate it if you would change it back for me. I think it's incredibly hypocritical that my guild name get renamed because it has the word "gay" in it yet you have homophobic slurs and racism in your games all day and they escape unscathed. Tichondrius is a well known server that attracts a lot of kids who say the meanest things to PoC, people of different genders and people of different creeds. My guild name was supposed to be a safe place for those who wish to partake in PvP on Tichondrius without having to be surrounded by homophobic and racist people.
yup, and I can see why.

if you have issue with an account action, submit a ticket. Nothing can be down about it over the forums.

You might also consider if you are gonna push an agenda, do it on tumbler. The Blizzard forums are not a soapbox platform.
Hello Mansmoocher,

Let me see if I can provide a bit of clarity here.

First and foremost there is nothing wrong with the word gay, it can be used in normal conversation in-game, it isn't prohibited or otherwise deemed inappropriate (depending on how it is used).

With that said, there are certain subjects and words that are considered hot topics, and when used as guild or team names can cause an issue. While you may use <Gay Boys> sincerely and to show pride in being a gay man, not everyone will see it that way. Others may think that you are being disingenuous and actually targeting homosexuals instead of being in support of. There is also the unfortunate fact that it can lead to extremely unfortunate exchanges and encourage harassment that we want to avoid. That is not excusing the behavior but we try to avoid hostile situations if we can.

I think it's incredibly hypocritical that my guild name get renamed because it has the word "gay" in it yet you have homophobic slurs and racism in your games all day and they escape unscathed.

That isn't even remotely true. Just as your guild was reported, reviewed and changed, any inappropriate slurs, racism, etc... that is properly reported is also addressed by our CS staff. They don't go unscathed unless folks don't report it.

My guild name was supposed to be a safe place for those who wish to partake in PvP on Tichondrius without having to be surrounded by homophobic and racist people.

A guild still can be, but a name isn't considered a safe haven, the guild itself is. Picking a name that you can identify with without also using words that would illicit a reaction from other players would be far more beneficial. Maybe something historical like a "Stonewall" reference. It can fit within the genre of the game as well as an identifier from gay culture.

I am sorry if you felt that the actions taken were meant to silence or otherwise discriminate against you. I can assure you it wasn't.

If you wish to appeal the decision you are welcome to submit a ticket as already instructed. The forums is not an appropriate location for such appeals.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? Click me.