Calling mechanics masters! All Specs

Warlock
Aim:

Given the recent blue attention and their desire to collate all ideas to pass on, it seems to me like we could do some of the work for them and help identify key areas of concern for each spec with the hope to focus their attention where we feel it's needed.

Plan:

For each spec, identify the most pressing mechanical issues. Collate these in to a list for each spec. Create an online poll for each list. Implore each Warlock to vote on the issue they feel most strongly about.

Result:

Dev's have a good idea about where to focus their energies to garner the most satisfaction for their work. I have to believe they don't sit around twiddling their thumbs all day so something like this could only be beneficial.

Example:

Destruction:

• RNG resource generation
  • RNG mastery
  • Weak Chaos Bolt
  • Baseline spell removal
  • ST or AoE exclusivity

I am no mechanics expert, and I do not wish to denigrate aesthetic concerns but I feel if we want meaningful change, the best thing we can do is help focus attention where it is needed.

If you have a good understanding of where the problems lie for any or each spec, please provide a list like the example above and I will collate them in to master lists and make the appropriate polls.

If you think this idea is lame or have a way to improve it, please comment with suggestions on what should be different.

I think we need to strike when the iron is hot, so to speak, so I would like to get this done and going asap.

EDIT:

I should also point out that neither I nor anyone on board, or who votes should consider this list to be in anyway binding to the devs to implement the changes in the areas we identify. It is simply for illustrative purposes. More like a map than a set of instructions if you like.
Shifting more of our damage into chaosbolt will keep tons of Destro players happy. Having the games hardest hitting nuke which always crit is what drew many to the spec.

Mechanically speaking, what is the point of building a secondary resource (be it shards or embers) if what we spend it on hits like a wet noodle? I'd rather cast CB once every 30 secs and have it hit like a Mac truck than what we have now.
I'd rather cast CB once every 30 secs and have it hit like a Mac truck than what we have now.

I'd rather just have the old CB back.
Hit like a truck with embers.
My posts about Affliction have been pretty well received considering I showed up late.

Basically it amounts to it being too slow.

The AOE's cast time and detonation is slow. This is crippling in 5 man content

And 3 of our most important abilities require large ramp up times. Agony, Shard generation, and getting Souls for our Artifact.

And Soulflame/Wrath of Consumption made more sense with the old artifact design where we killed spirits. Especially Wrath.

This is not mechanical but it was complained about, with good reason. It also lacks any sort of swag or visual flair. And for me personally I dont follow why we are seemingly locked out of the fel magic the other specs enjoy. Fel fire is iconic to the Legion and consequently Warlocks yet only Destro makes regular use of it. Frankly it seems kooky to me that I become purely a junior necromancer. And I think more can be done with the Affliction fantasy when the Legion seeds conquered worlds with blight and corruption.

I bring this up because the aesthetic issues reflect the simple fact that Affliction seems to be in a rut mechanically. Having been largely unchanged since Ulduar in most ways.
Demonology:

1.) Needs built-in and effective AoE that works well enough independently of talents. (Demonwrath is filler damage, its not principle damage like something like a Chaos Bolt)

2.) Needs more options for movement with damage, without sacrificing giant chunks of DPS.

3.) Dreadstalkers need to be buffed or reworked; there is literally no reason to ever cast them in a fight, Wild Imps do more damage, and buff Artifact Weapon far better.

I have a lot of thematic complaints with Demonology but those are not relevant here, apparently.
09/25/2016 10:13 PMPosted by Duemalt
Demonology:

1.) Needs built-in and effective AoE that works well enough independently of talents. (Demonwrath is filler damage, its not principle damage like something like a Chaos Bolt)

2.) Needs more options for movement with damage, without sacrificing giant chunks of DPS.

3.) Dreadstalkers need to be buffed or reworked; there is literally no reason to ever cast them in a fight, Wild Imps do more damage, and buff Artifact Weapon far better.

I have a lot of thematic complaints with Demonology but those are not relevant here, apparently.

Mechanically, I would add to this list that Demonic Empowerment is more of a chore than a rewarding spell. Repetition reaps boredom.
Blizzard has changed the game play aspect so much that I feel any class with ramp up will be awful in 5 and 10 mans outside of boss fights. Which basically means Demo and affliction locks suck right now.

Affliction warlocks can use a few fixes that might help.

CoA, get rid of the build up. Full on damage right from the start. It's a dumb mechanic that getting rid of wouldn't affect our dps. Would kind of help with trash.

SoC, needs to be a targeted AoE. You shouldn't cast something only to wait 18 seconds for something to already be dead before you never do damage. This is one of the worst spells in the game.

Bring soul swap back... and don't make it cost a shard. It's not like any other class needs to use a RNG resource to do spread damage. We don't have nukes... so even if all of our dots went on at once, we'd be doing what most other classes do.

Bring soul burn back... at least give us a legitimate reason to use shards.

UA dispel is dumb... the pvp aspect of dispelling it should hurt. It's not like dispelling vampiric touch does diminished horror if dispelled on the last tick. Affliction only has dots, no nukes. SO... our dots need to be somewhat safe from being removed.

We have no slows, no snares, no roots, and then you went and took away portal... why? Because we're tanky? We've always been tanky... why take away portal now?

Lastly... this expansion has taken almost everything that made warlocks unique and trivialized it.

Chaos bolt is straight garbage. !@#$ing garbage. Just go back to 6 second casts or something. Make it out to be the punishment it is. If I'm going to hit someone with a wet noodle it better take 6 %^-*ing seconds.

Demonology is like micromanaging preschoolers. Cast a demon, empower a demon, do this, do that... could you let us summon some demons that can maybe handle a little !@#$ on their own? Like... did we get the hunter pet rejects?

Soul shards and affliction... just wtf. 1 spell... 1 spell utilizes the resource. It's really not even that great... the spell basically exists for pvp... who in pve dispels UA? Even more reason for it not to cost an additional resource. I've been playing warlock too long to not be pissed off at having to use soul shards for UA... not when a soul shard use to instantly get me UA, Corr, and CoA.
Affliction

1. Shard generation too slow/random esp single target.

2. UA unsatisfying to chain cast, interferes with dot refreshing. Not useable often in single target, only when multidotting Agony.

3. Seed detonation threshold too high.

4. Scythe multiplies traits, only artifact that isn't fully effective until maxed out in AP. Many traits limited effect via kill requirements.

Demonology

1. DE unrewarding to cast constantly, punishing to delay or miss.

2. Life Tapping far too often.

3. Artifact difficult to line up optimum usage.

4. Implosion kills imps, resets single target damage.

5. Counter-intuative talents and traits (stolen power, demonbolt, consumption want max demons. Implosion kills demons, DE reduces summon frequency).

6. Temporary demons difficult to utilize outside boss tunneling. Take too long to get out, despawn quickly. Leads to high damage loss in regular content (world and dungeon).

7. Guardian ai for temp demons not controllable. Can't execute attack stops or target swaps. They stop attacking when the lock is stunned or disoriented.

Destruction

1. Shard generation from immolate unreliable and slow especially with few targets.

2. Chaos Bolt unsatisfying to cast.

3. Rain of Fire cost prohibitive for burst aoe use.

4. Mastery rng element not enjoyable, especially with rng shard generation and low chaos bolt damage.

All Specs

1. Lack of decent baseline aoe forcing huge talent disparity in single vs aoe choices.

2. Life Tap unrewarding to use, feels limiting in general and punishing in pvp.

3. Lack of synergy or interaction between spells and talents makes base rotations boring and not flow. Feels mechanical.
Destro needs a more constant mastery. High end groups don't want someone who may do above or below whatever the needed dps for that content is. They want someone who can consistently do above whatever that bar may be say 200k for instance. My sims show my damage going from 166k to 218k (thats not including the short spike in the beginning) throughout a fight that's a huge gap that depends entirely on rng. The easiest fix is to put a floor on the mastery so instead of 0 to 100% its say 60 to 100% extra damage. As a player i wouldn't mind a damage variance of say around 20k in high end content but right now its just to big and it hurts us on all short fights and trash pulls which matter in timed content like mythic plus.

Edit Also make Reverse Entropy baseline for destro and remove life tap. It makes the class so much better feeling when i can entirely remove life tap from my bar.
Affliction : As far as artifact resource generation, I would like to see drain life/soul modified to have a chance to tear off a piece of the target's soul and the buff/duration be passively applied. I think this would not only be a quality of life change, but also play into the lore that they are trying to stick with. The same concept could be applied toward soul shard generation.
Soulshards

Soulshards killed the spec Destro and Aff. How?

Soulshards where used as a utility (aoe, mobility and defensive cds). Now that we have talents for that, the Soul Shard are only used for spam our main abilitys.

Now casting a Chaosbolt was something you looked for. You had to build embers or wait a cd to unleash a powerfull spell. Now that you can spam the !@#$ out of it, of course the damage had to be toned down.

A time ago when some one saw a Chaos Bolt they thought "Omg! That will hurt". Now everyone only think "Oh look, he is just maintaining the 12% buff so his Immolate could do decent damage."

Destro
Immoalte does around 35% of our damage in a fight. Destro is not a dot spec.
Also the mastery is so bad that everyone is running away from it lol.
The spec shoud be able to do an terrific burst of damage but instead the only thing that are keeping us is a dot.
At 105% mastery the best Chaos Bolt i had was a 603k. And thats when it's not hitting 287k.

Affliction
Drains Soul does 34% of our damage. Also it feels really dumb to use something to heal me while i'am full hp.
A dot shoud be the main character of a dot spec, not channeling;

Demon
Demonic Empowerment kill the specs. You actually use it more than every other spell you have.
08/27/2016 02:01 AMPosted by Kornbredkhan
I'd rather cast CB once every 30 secs and have it hit like a Mac truck than what we have now.

I'd rather just have the old CB back.
Hit like a truck with embers.
I rather have it every 15 secs and Hit like a MAc truck
It also lacks any sort of swag or visual flair.

Delete Soul Effigy, bring back Soul Swap, all is forgiven.
03/14/2017 10:46 PMPosted by Squib
Delete Soul Effigy, bring back Soul Swap, all is forgiven.
Won't be that useful without Soulburn though. But still much welcomed.

My followup ideas:

1, improvement to Seed of Corruption.
Seed of Corruption - Embeds a demon seed in the enemy target that will explode after 18 sec, dealing (215% of Spell power) Shadow damage to all enemies within 10 yards and applying Corruption to them. Existing Agony on target also spreads to all enemies hit.

Instantly making multi-dotting much more friendly and effective.

2, increasing pandemic timer to 50% for warlocks only. Because:
a, We are the premier DoT class. Shouldn't we get more leverage on this?
b, Easier tracking without necessity for addons. We all know how 'helpful' your default UI and tab-targetting is when comes to tracking timers and multi-dotting.