what is up with these gem chips?

General Discussion
Those gem chips are useful in cooking, if that helps.
09/07/2016 02:08 PMPosted by Kilroxxark
so as a jewelcrafter, i was happy to see that i am able to prospect ore into gems again. however all im getting are these gem chips. best part, from what i can see, they are useless for jewelcrafting except for one quest where you need to get 5 of them. i have 119, and barely any useful gems...whats up with this?

I desperately need these for Mastery food. If you haven't already, sell them on the AH, because it seems like cooks are going to be gobbling them up for Nightborne Delicacy Platter.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/133823
They are used in a cooking recipe ironically...
09/09/2016 07:53 PMPosted by Feyranna
http://www.wowhead.com/item=129100/gem-chip#reagent-for

can use em for this Mastery 375 stat food.

Oh nom nom.. More of Nomi's cooking.

Gem Chip anyone? Then soon after a visit to your local dentist.
I've gotten two blue quality gems out of about 500 ore. Yeah the rarity makes for a nice sale price, but honestly I'd rather sacrifice rarity to actually get a reasonable amount of gems to level with.
09/07/2016 02:13 PMPosted by Vixie
09/07/2016 02:10 PMPosted by Drakmor
don't you need them for your first Jewlcrafting quest

The OP said he needed 5. Now he has 119.

And some other profs are getting them from somewhere. This non-JC/non-miner found one in her bag.

They can come from milling as well.
09/22/2016 09:50 AMPosted by Lirenne
I've gotten two blue quality gems out of about 500 ore. Yeah the rarity makes for a nice sale price, but honestly I'd rather sacrifice rarity to actually get a reasonable amount of gems to level with.

I hear ya I finally got the gems I need to make the 101 ring when I was 104
You need them for cooking in making the mastery food
Nothing like taking 20k worth of felslate and turning it into a pile of gem chips and like two blue gems worth 2k each.

I love how involved crafting is this xpac- but some of the RNG (this, and alchemy potion star upgrades) is downright abysmal.
I have prospected over 2k in leystone and felslate and have yet to get a green gem! They are going for over 3k for an uncut green gem. The rest are going for a few hundred. Also why is the crafted gear less than farming the world or quests? Why should I craft that junk if no one is going to buy it?

Gem Chips are useless except for that food that barely anyone wants!

They need to fix professions, seriously.
OP, I had that same thing happen to me. I finally swapped out jc for enchanting.

Enchanting isn't as enchanting as it used to be, though.
The chips are also used in the high level food recipes (for crunchiness?) Sell them on the AH (at a reasonable price please :)
Blizzard butchered JC.

I don't see inscription milling up a bunch of trash items. I don't see enchanters disenchanting things to get garbage. Why do JCers have to throw away so much ore?
The color of the gem chips in the prospecting window will indicate what color gem you will get next. You can use this to "fish" for specific types of gems by prospecting cheaper leystone until you get chips for the color you want, then switching over to felslate to improve your chances of getting multiple blue gems and the like.
09/10/2016 10:53 PMPosted by Shoeless
So this is why I can't buy the Eye of Prophecy gems I need to craft Demonsteel Helmets.

If it makes you feel any better, the level 3 patterns don't use them.

So theoretically you only need 6.

As for gem chips. I would add them to more recipes.
They're used for cooking. Don't ask me why because gems don't cook well.
Only the white gem chips are used for cooking tho, I cannot cook the coloured ones...so what is the point of them? They may indicate what the next gem is likely to be, but by doing so, they become unusable for cooking?
Auction them for cooking... I swear tis' be true!
so as a jewelcrafter, im getting are these gem chips.

They go great with herb salsa!
10/03/2016 02:07 AMPosted by Saninicus
They're used for cooking. Don't ask me why because gems don't cook well.

It's the only thing Nomi can't burn ... yet.