You bought an MMORPG

General Discussion
09/17/2016 06:39 PMPosted by Ganèlon
09/17/2016 06:20 PMPosted by Adakar
how dare you not mention secret of mana?!?!?!??!?!?!

ooooh i have a longer list than that.secret of mana 1-3
xenogears
vagrant story
...you know what every JRPG or RPG on the PS1 lol
Suikoden II

yeah sorry, i only played ff7 and ff8 on ps1...nothing else was needed for me hehehe

boy they sure dont make games like those anymore...shame :(
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Dude I every single raid and boss fight has too do with story and lire what do you think attuenments ate? You even get EXTRA story content for playing on mythic. Like what are you on right now.

If you're going to post such garbage then please stop replying to my posts.

Then you better start deleting all your posts then. :)
Why did I buy Legion?....for the story of course.
09/17/2016 05:31 PMPosted by Desiirea
I've found myself a little frustrated lately. Help me understand this one. For 30 years I've been playing RPG video games. An RPG game was always a story game. You were the hero on a quest, acting out the story.

Why would someone buy an MMORPG and think there is no story or they could completely skip it and it would be a good game for them?

WoW doesn't have good story. It's internally inconsistent, established universe rules are constantly altered or ignored, and the developers can't make up their mind as to what's canon vs what can be safely ignored; often regarding the same source depending on what their horoscope said.

With that in mind it's easy to understand why people don't bother to pay attention to the story of WoW; after a point it gets so ridiculous that trying to keep it all straight isn't worth the hassle.
09/17/2016 06:21 PMPosted by Parsnip
Vanilla was slow leveling in general, but after that it progressively became easier and multiple paths were always viable for leveling whether it was grinding dungeons or PvP or even just killing mobs.

It was never Viable to grind mobs in classic, it was required if you didn't have enough XP to start the next zone, what are you even talking about. the only viable way to level in classic was to quest. i think you're remembering wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAhHh6zZ_g&ab_channel=PreachGaming
WoW has always been a game that you can enjoy even without the story, though I personally do enjoy the story.

Also RPGs are about roleplaying a character in a world. While that involves a story, the story generally isn't the focus. The players being able to roleplay is typically the focus.

Some of the better RP I've seen didn't really have a central quest to it.
09/17/2016 06:43 PMPosted by Adakar
boy they sure dont make games like those anymore

Witcher 3

If you're going to post such garbage then please stop replying to my posts.

Someone needs to put these delusional story fans in their place. If it wasn't for them then I could've skipped all this edgy, anime-tier story with Demon Hunters cutting themselves and Illidan being space god or whatever he is. I think I've actually lost IQ points from trying to understand the story in Legion.
09/17/2016 06:51 PMPosted by Kurisi

Someone needs to put these delusional story fans in their place. If it wasn't for them then I could've skipped all this edgy, anime-tier story with Demon Hunters cutting themselves and Illidan being space god or whatever he is. I think I've actually lost IQ points from trying to understand the story in Legion.

We're sorry :( Here this might be more your speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Little-Monkeys-Jumping-Story/dp/0547896913/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474163542&sr=8-6&keywords=childrens+books+ages+1-3
09/17/2016 06:23 PMPosted by Solaru
09/17/2016 05:32 PMPosted by Tewa
"RPG" and "video game" should never be used in the same sentence.

Video games are far too shallow to adequately be an RPG.

Planescape:Torment...your argument is annihilated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A sheep, a drum, and a snake fall down a cliff - BA-DUMM-TSS
"Terms and Conditions. Have a nice day." - Quote from the trainer at my new CS job. I think I like it here.

Ever play the Planescape campaign?

We're sorry :( Here this might be more your speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Little-Monkeys-Jumping-Story/dp/0547896913/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474163542&sr=8-6&keywords=childrens+books+ages+1-3

I've already read that book.

Also, is that author a transgendered person?
xenogears

great game but ending was creepy.

They were eating/cutting up human beings.

up to last few hours i loved the game but when you got to that point....it got bit sicken.

if this was anime story it would been a lot better.

Stop being saity that Japan can make better story than USA game makers.

USA can stick to their shooter games.
The overarching storyline isn't all that bad, but as mentioned, it can be very internally inconsistent.

That being said, WoW has a lot of different things to offer different groups of people. One thing that it truly has going for it- more than even most MMO's, in my opinion- is just it's sheer vastness. We have seven continents, all relatively big, and within these huge zones we have a lot to do- questing, pet battles, raids, dungeons, RPing, world pvp, instanced PVP. Very few people are going to be actively interested in every aspect. Me? I like questing, collecting and some group content. I don't RP but I do get amused at imagining my toons's reactions to lore events. Others are super into raiding. Some like the edge of battle in PVP. Some people like auction house pvp.

Expecting a game that runs as a 'something for nearly everyone' type world to have everyone like a particular aspect is silly. People will like what they like.
09/17/2016 05:31 PMPosted by Desiirea
I've found myself a little frustrated lately. Help me understand this one. For 30 years I've been playing RPG video games. An RPG game was always a story game. You were the hero on a quest, acting out the story.

Why would someone buy an MMORPG and think there is no story or they could completely skip it and it would be a good game for them?

Bit of a cynical answer, but maybe because in the last ten years, "RPG games" or "games with RPG elements" end up being games with arbitrary stat distribution and levelling up with little to no aspects of choice and consequence, meaningful stat distribution that expresses something about a character, or decent stories whatsoever. Frankly, it's a miracle whenever an actual RPG like Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2, or a game that actually revolves around roleplaying and expressing a character is released.

Most "RPGs", JRPGs definitely included, are just excessively long 3D movies inter-cut with tedious gameplay.
09/17/2016 06:54 PMPosted by Mapiya
09/17/2016 06:23 PMPosted by Solaru
Planescape:Torment...your argument is annihilated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Terms and Conditions. Have a nice day." - Quote from the trainer at my new CS job. I think I like it here.

Ever play the Planescape campaign?
Been gaming in the planes long before and since Plnescape.
09/17/2016 06:57 PMPosted by Raiil
Expecting a game that runs as a 'something for nearly everyone' type world to have everyone like a particular aspect is silly. People will like what they like.

Oh I think the more variety there is the better. And I expect mmorpg's to have these differences. And I don't expect everyone to like everything. That's cool.

But when I go to buy an rpg or mmorpg, there's always a story (good or bad) you are questing though. That's what makes it that genre.

So when people get mad because the game involves/expects questing I am kind of surprised. I think, 'You should of expected and known there were be questing if nothing else. That's the type of game you bought.'
09/17/2016 05:52 PMPosted by Tewa
09/17/2016 05:36 PMPosted by Zhongli
Video games are an entitey that is neither shallow nor "deep" they're just a thing. Game makers are the droids you're looking for.

Nobody who has ever played an RPG can possibly think any video game could capture the human interaction that makes RPG's what they are.

It just isn't possible.

Video games can be fine adventure games. But RPG? No.

You and those like you need to stop making these asinine statements. It just makes you look stupid.
09/17/2016 05:36 PMPosted by Zhongli
09/17/2016 05:32 PMPosted by Tewa
"RPG" and "video game" should never be used in the same sentence.

Video games are far too shallow to adequately be an RPG.

Video games are an entitey that is neither shallow nor "deep" they're just a thing. Game makers are the droids you're looking for.

Thank you.
Consider, Mists of pandaria was about Genocide,slavery,and more genocide <klaxi>.

*Vietnam flashback*
09/17/2016 06:21 PMPosted by Parsnip
Because we hardly ever HAD to quest in over 10 years? I mean, I've played this game since open beta of vanilla. There were always options outside of questing. Vanilla was slow leveling in general, but after that it progressively became easier and multiple paths were always viable for leveling whether it was grinding dungeons or PvP or even just killing mobs.

I made sure to take time to think this over before answering. The thing I got from your post is you knew questing was something expected. If you played vanilla you bought the game knowing it was an MMORPG that would involve questing, a lot of it in fact, and that was the main leveling of this game.

You surely didn't buy the game and sit in a corner grinding mobs the whole time. You could of, I suppose, but that would not of been viable or fun. And it's not now either. The expansions have you do quests to get to their zones. Pandaria had you do some quests. This one is also having you do that. Once you get your weapon you could knock out the pillar questlines in a couple hours and then just grind mobs in a corner. But it's still not viable or fun. Are you telling me you never quested in all the time you've played? In vanilla you didn't quest? I have a very hard time believing that. I don't see what has changed.