Xelnath Post-Mortem I

Warlock
Warlocks in WoW Alpha & Classic

http://xelnath.com/2016/09/08/post-mortem-i-warlocks-in-wow-alpha-classic/
I just finished reading it. I found it to be a rather interesting read; not just from a warlock standpoint, but also from a standpoint of game design in general. It's a worthy piece for anyone of any class to look at, I think.
Damn, I had totally forgotten about spellstones.
Wow, I found it incredibly enlightening, and it seems to me some of the founding principles of the Warlock class: agency, preparation, modality, and utility, have obviously not survived to the present day.
I would love to play a properly polished up version of the class that Xelnath describes.
i forgot about corruption being a 2 second cast
Quite sad to remember why I started playing this class in vanilla and how little of the original design philosophy remains.

Each spec gets "their" pet now, no real choice in the matter. Not much choices or preparation to be found anywhere, really.
09/08/2016 01:28 PMPosted by Vonnik
Damn, I had totally forgotten about spellstones.

I still have one in my bank.
09/08/2016 01:42 PMPosted by Sapph
Quite sad to remember why I started playing this class in vanilla and how little of the original design philosophy remains.

Each spec gets "their" pet now, no real choice in the matter. Not much choices or preparation to be found anywhere, really.

Well, Gateway requires an absurd amount of preparation to bait a gapcloser out of a melee! And then they can use it another 10-20 times while you prepare for your next trip through the Gateway. =P
Also, does anyone else get the feeling that some $hit is about to go down on that blog? Like...he's about to spill some serious truth tea. And the timing is not remotely coincidental.
Me: Why are you giving them a new demon? Metamorphosis is what they want.

Kevin: Heh, well, I suggested exactly that. It would fit with the expansion theme for sure. But what if we decide to make a Demon Hunter class?

Me: Are you going to make a Demon Hunter class?

Kevin: Uh… I doubt it, we barely have time for the class changes for Burning Crusade.

Me: Well, I think Metamorphosis would be pretty cool.

Q.Q
Now that was a very good read! TY for sharing.
I'm waiting for the parts where he got ousted for making too good a class and showing the other developers up.
09/08/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Dfgsdgdsg
I'm waiting for the parts where he got ousted for making too good a class and showing the other developers up.

This would sound absurd, but somebody at Blizz thought Rune of Power was a spectacular idea, so it's almost believable.
MoP affliction and destro. I miss feeling like a warlock so much.

From malefic grasp and true snapshotting and haunt. Drain souling for execute. Having procs to work into your snapshots. No soul effigy nonsense just real multidotting and skill.

I miss destro looking and feeling destructive w/o needing charred remains or some silly 2 shard chaos bolt. I miss the original fire and brimsone (not the WoD or Legion version). I miss choosing to have mobility while casting (it's not like we didn't sacrifice anything for it; we chose to take 1 less charge of Dark Soul)

And speaking of dark soul; I missed real cooldowns for affliction/destro. Not some silly summon doomguard. That's like a fire mage summoning a water elemental on a 3 min cd that costs a hot streak.
Incredibly fascinating read.

Makes me sort of even angrier that the current iteration has so little thought or care behind it whatsoever. What a f***ing joke. T-T
09/08/2016 02:21 PMPosted by Vonnik
09/08/2016 02:19 PMPosted by Dfgsdgdsg

This would sound absurd, but somebody at Blizz thought Rune of Power was a spectacular idea, so it's almost believable.

Naw you don't understand, when you take the most mobile caster, and then root them in place, it makes them treasure their mobility even more, playing into the class fantasy.

Also mages loved hitting an inanimate object to do damage so much they gave it to locks, now no complaining that they never give locks anything.
Ya I remember the old days when warlocks had insane health pools for a caster and were a pain to fight in PVP, and awesome in PVE.

I really wish they would return to this play style.

However sense the Devs have pretty much refused to allow the return of a lot of the core abilities from that era, it most likely will never be :(
I certainly enjoyed that read, that class fantasy he describes is exactly how I felt it was and should be when I started playing in Wotlk to a certain extent.

PvP I would bring out the right pets for the comp, swapping my shields in combat for the situation, spell stones, farming soul shards to power my spells, self healing and kiting using my curses, spreading my dots....

I mean now in pvp I spread my dots and tank lots of damage... although I do like the shorter cool down for the doom guard and infernal xD
Not sure how authentic some of that dialogue is. I mean, I'm well aware that Xelnath was a former dev...but some of this just makes no sense.

Why are they pulling up concept art for a felguard and acting like it's a brand new demon they're in the process of creating for The Burning Crusade? The felguard has been around since day one of vanilla WoW. Yet, when they're looking at the concept art, they're acting like they've never seen this demon before. Kind of weird.