Fighting the Flow Chart - instead of the Boss

Mage
09/15/2016 03:27 AMPosted by Anodara
09/15/2016 03:18 AMPosted by Quartus
if you think something that's easily pushed to muscle memory is a complex problem, you might have problems with this game I got my imaginary kid involving square blocks and round holes.

Well I'm 41 now. Perhaps it would have been easier 10 or 20 years ago.
And it's not that I don't think I can learn it. I can. I'm somewhere half way towards it, I suppose. But it's bulls*** that I have to spend that time. It's just bad game design.

If Blizzard wants to make raiding difficult, it should toughen encounter mechanics, not force me to practice convoluted DPS rotations on a target dummy.

then jsut go play a DH, smash face on your keyboard and still be number one dps

I suppose that is good advice....
As a classic fire mage myself, I feel like I have more control over my DPS is various situations then I have ever had. While I find myself cursing at my screen when I place a boneheaded rune, overall I'm really enjoying legion fire. Now if only they gave me back a blazing speed and a baseline scorch speed boost and made IF competitive with rune... and meteor could probably use a boost... and why the hell is mirror images still a talent?!
It's easy to play, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

There isn't a hard spec in this game...
One of the things driving me crazy is the problem with the button mashing. I've been doing that for so many years, and now it screws up my rotation when I do it with fireblast...
09/15/2016 03:09 AMPosted by Quartus
tl;dr casual finds rotation hard, else - troll

lawl someone needs to teach him how to do a 4 button rotation with a couple CDs
This post is dumb.
Mostly because there is no hoop for DPS to jump through in a raid encounter, typically.
All of wrath consisted of: don't stand in bad, dps the proper target. In fact, this IS raiding for dps.

So the rotation has to have something; a couple cds to watch, some reactive component, idk - anything.

In recent memory, the most fun I had was Archimonde pre-7.0.
I did not get to do mythic Xhul with evanesce :( that looked fun as well.

Is it me or is tank threat way better in WoD & Legion than say back in cata or wrath? Or is this just an indication of how not being in a guild causes my gear to lag behind? I kind of miss having to invis to dump threat (or MI when it was baseline back in wrath).
It doesn't feel that complicated to me, but it can be a tad twitchy for my MMO tastes.

I don't love that a lot depends on the crit from the last spell, that you don't know if it happened or not until maybe a 1/2 before the spell queue window opens (especially if you play with latency like me.)

I'd love to pretend I can easily react and hit fire blast (before) and then pyroblast (precisely in the queue window). It doesn't seem like it should be hard on paper. It often feels fine when I'm playing casually. But when I go back and watch myself frame by frame, or use addons to measure precisely what happened, my play is not optimal 100% of the time - it's too easy to leak out the back of that queue window and take the penalty from the fireball + pyro not landing precisely at the same time (= lost heating up in the one crit case.) I know there is supposed to be a 0.5 second grace period, but on watching the playback, I either really am just that slow or sometimes it's easy for something to take longer to register on the server than you'd expect (my guess, both happen.)

Compare this to say, feral druid, where split second reaction often feels like much less of a factor.
09/16/2016 03:26 PMPosted by Cerripha
Is it me or is tank threat way better in WoD & Legion than say back in cata or wrath?

Tanks job isn't to hold threat anymore, its to mitigate damage. They still do hold threat, but the only way a DPS is pulling aggro is if the tank is horribly incompetent, or the DPS has like 100+ item level advantage. Tanks base abilities do a ridiculous amount of threat now.
09/15/2016 02:58 AMPosted by Anodara
In WOTLK, a fire mage was using what, 4 buttons for single DPS? 5? Blizzard, why on earth did you think it would be fun to double that number? Do you not understand that doubling options typically QUADRUPLES complexity?
It should be at least 15 rotational buttons imo. Git gud
09/15/2016 06:30 PMPosted by Kooriaisu
I dunno, I have seen some truly awful DH dps in groups. We're talking DH who are dealing 25-30% of my damage as Frost (I'm not even topping meters). I don't switching classes will account for poor skills. Except maybe to BM...

09/16/2016 03:26 PMPosted by Cerripha
Is it me or is tank threat way better in WoD & Legion than say back in cata or wrath?
Insanely better, though some classes are better than others. Didn't they up the threat of tanks to 300% or even 500% at some point in one of those expansions? The only way to pull agro off a tank is either to blow your load before they can build any threat, or for them to be terrible.

09/16/2016 05:47 PMPosted by Nexxyo
Git gud
This helps no one while making you look like a grade A nozzle. Don't bring it to these forums.