Tank nerf = more wipes

General Discussion
Here's the thing: Tanks have their damage for a reason. No, its not to top the DPS charts, no its not to be world PvP gods, no its not to breeze through world content with no problem

It's to generate and keep threat and aggro in group play so the DPS and healers don't get horribly murdered by trash

Now, a great tank with good gear and an intelligent group will still hold aggro very well after the nerfs

But for the less geared tanks and the less intelligent parties...its definitely going to be tougher

This nerf definitely sucks for tank players, but it wouldn't be too much of a problem in dungeons and stuff if it weren't for the fact that I'm not seeing any buffs to tanks to generate threat.

That said, there probably won't be a dramatic increase in wipes thanks to aggro loss. But if/when they do happen, you'll know one of the reasons why your tanks just couldn't hold that damn trash aggro

This thread may turn into a frenzy of anger between tanks and non-tanks. This thread may be full of legitimate discussion. This thread may be downvoted to hell, or this thread may be completely ignored. But for those who actually do read the OP. Take this post into consideration
Tank nerf = more wipes

Oh noes!!

09/16/2016 07:27 PMPosted by Rikward
That said, there probably won't be a dramatic increase in wipes thanks to aggro loss.

Whew!
They are not nerfing threat generation just their damage. Blizzard can control the amount of threat each skill generates.....
Tanks should not out DPS the DPS... PERIOD.
If you're losing threat then you're bad.
Threat doesn't work the same anymore. When I was leveling in Invasions, I was toying with Monk Tank, and I would run up to bosses that had 10% health left and hit it once and I'd have agro. They've done something to Tank aggro. So this DPS loss has little to no effect on Tank threat which seemed impossible to lose anyway.
They need to nerf threat and bring back sunder stacking!!!

Ah the good old days.
Threat hasn't been a thing since wrath.
Here's the thing: Tanks have their damage for a reason. No, its not to top the DPS charts, no its not to be world PvP gods, no its not to breeze through world content with no problem

It's to generate and keep threat and aggro in group play so the DPS and healers don't get horribly murdered by trash

Now, a great tank with good gear and an intelligent group will still hold aggro very well after the nerfs

But for the less geared tanks and the less intelligent parties...its definitely going to be tougher

This nerf definitely sucks for tank players, but it wouldn't be too much of a problem in dungeons and stuff if it weren't for the fact that I'm not seeing any buffs to tanks to generate threat.

That said, there probably won't be a dramatic increase in wipes thanks to aggro loss. But if/when they do happen, you'll know one of the reasons why your tanks just couldn't hold that damn trash aggro

This thread may turn into a frenzy of anger between tanks and non-tanks. This thread may be full of legitimate discussion. This thread may be downvoted to hell, or this thread may be completely ignored. But for those who actually do read the OP. Take this post into consideration

You're a new player, aren't you?

Tanks had their threat generation increased from a 3x multiplier to a 10x (that's not a typo) multiplier at the tail end of Cata.

If you can't equal a DPS with a TEN times multiplier, even after the nerfs, you're a horrible tank.
This was only valid in classic-WoTLK when threat was difficult to hold. I remember back in those days where I would honestly dread having some classes in my group because I knew they wouldnt slow their dps and they'd end up pulling off of me. Specifically; mages, warlocks, rogues, and hunters; and for those of you who played back then and did this(and you know who you are) I would like to say I hated every single one of you.

Though some of the time I wish the threat would be reduced again so I wouldn't be falling asleep on some fights because of how boring some tank n spanks are. Sha of Pride in MoP I literally fell asleep while tanking once because of just how boring that fight was to tank
09/16/2016 08:50 PMPosted by Scrollz
This was only valid in classic-WoTLK when threat was difficult to hold. I remember back in those days where I would honestly dread having some classes in my group because I knew they wouldnt slow their dps and they'd end up pulling off of me. Specifically; mages, warlocks, rogues, and hunters; and for those of you who played back then and did this(and you know who you are) I would like to say I hated every single one of you.

Though some of the time I wish the threat would be reduced again so I wouldn't be falling asleep on some fights because of how boring some tank n spanks are. Sha of Pride in MoP I literally fell asleep while tanking once because of just how boring that fight was to tank

Shaman healers were also very proficient at pulling aggro off tanks as they had no aggro dumps
If it is necessary due to the drop in tank DPS for dealing with trash, a group can pull smaller groups of trash at a time, and heaven forbid, actually use some cc on the trash to make things go smother.

I have only twice seen anyone in a dungeon run so far cc a trash mob, and both times, the tank in the group chided the DPS who used the cc because they were slowing us down.
09/16/2016 11:01 PMPosted by Mooriartee
If it is necessary due to the drop in tank DPS for dealing with trash, a group can pull smaller groups of trash at a time, and heaven forbid, actually use some cc on the trash to make things go smother.

Sounds like a great change right before new content that encourages speeding through the dungeon as fast as possible, not counter-intuitive at all.