Feeling a bit meh with my mage

Mage
So I'm fast approaching 110, have all three artifacts, and am somehow down on my class. I used to really enjoy Frost and Fire but it's not happening as much anymore, and I find myself more pulled to Warlock due to the "flavor" and "style" of their class.

I find our Artifact weapons kinda underwhelming, visually and ability-wise (though Fire looks the best.) I've been leveling with Ebonchill and Frost so far and I do like a few of the abilities such as Rune of Power combo'd with Ray of Frost (not practical in dungeons but it's fun.) But, I feel myself looking at other classes and feeling like I'm missing out. Btw I've mained mage since Lich King.

I might be just looking for a change but anyone else in this boat?
Kinda meh with mage as well. I really don't enjoy fire but frost is severely under-tuned. Been playing my rogue instead while hopefully waiting for frost to get some needed buffs.
yeah I like Frost but it's just not doing the damage now. Fire feels like hitting 3-4 buttons over and over.
I feel super meh. I was hyped before launch...

But fire feels meh for sure. The playstyle isn't what I wanted from the Mage.

Arcane is more the style I like... but the damage just isn't there.

Frost is kind of in the same boat.

I invested so much time into this character right before Legion... leveling cooking/crafting/FISHING... now I just... meh.
variety is the spice of life
as my pappy always said
These LONG !@# cast are just killing the flow of frost Mage for me!! It just ruins it. I like blinking l, instant ice lances and freezing things in place. Having to rely on these long cast like Ebonbolt and Glacial Spike for any real meaningful damage is one big bucket of suck imo! I use to love my Mage in Mop, I tolerated the changes in WoD....But these latest changes in Legion are even worse!!! Long cast time spell are destroying the class for me! I'm now force to talent out of Glacial Spike bc of Ebonbolt. I refuse to have to use 2 long cast time spells! One is bad enough. It's hard enough just getting my regular frostbolts off, with Glacial Spike and Ebonbolt it's nearly impossible without getting kicked, silenced, cc'ed, feigned death, LoS'ed ect ect...... It's just a colossal pain the $%^!
mages are feeling very underwhelming compared to other casters. I cannot express how disappointed I am in arcane. Frost has a good kit but I do not know numbers. Fire seems to be the same old.
I feel like I need to give another one of my many level 100's a chance. Im afraid some of my disinterest in the Mage class is going to hurt the experience of the new expansion... even though I know it is probably one of the best since TBC.
09/02/2016 07:59 PMPosted by Xzap
Having to rely on these long cast like Ebonbolt and Glacial Spike for any real meaningful damage is one big bucket of suck imo!
Then don't take Glacial Spike. It's actually pretty bad for levelling, feels bad to use and disrupts the smooth rotation. Ebonbolt isn't too bad of a cast time, and grants 2 instant-cast procs. (Just realised you're talking PvP, in which case "meh").

09/02/2016 07:06 PMPosted by Mansfield
yeah I like Frost but it's just not doing the damage now.
I'm in the same boat. I love how it plays at the moment, and that we have a buttload of spells that are all part of our usual rotation (taking certain talents I have 13 damaging spells I regularly use in dungeons without Rune of Scum). Even taking all the passives you've still got 9 spells. It's just a real shame that the damage tuning (despite Blizzards claims) still hasn't been done properly.
I'm having a blast with frost. There are times when GS and EB are competing for channel time, but they hit like a truck so I look past it. Still have a ways to go so I'll see closer to 110 how I feel.
it might be because Im a lower level character, but while I think frost mage is exceptionally fun, I dont seem to be bringing the damage to the table that Id like to. oh well, going to stick with it anyways, I love the spec too much to quit.
After playing to 110 I can say that mages feel extremely weak. Its back to vanilla days where if you pull more than one mob, you better pray you don't get murdered if your CDs are down. On top of that the DPS is pitiful, fire is currently #10 with arcane being dead last in DPS.

All in all, another bad Xpac for mages.
what's odd is, people seem to really like Fire and the numbers are there I think. I just feel the "class fantasy" isn't as strong for mage compared to other classes, like Warlock or Hunter or even Warrior. I'm not sure how to fix that though. I kinda feel like Arcane is the only spec that makes makes stand out, since other classes have Fire or Ice components to them, such as DKs or Shamans.

Edit: I was messing with my Warlock last night and they nailed their class hall and everything seems to fit their "class fantasy." I do think the Mage hall is done well, so I'm not sure what's missing. Runes in the air?
09/03/2016 02:58 AMPosted by Mathiaz
another bad Xpac for mages.
What was the first one? We owned it in Vanilla, destroyed things in BC, rocked WotLK, were top dps for Cata, MoP and WoD...

Mages will be fine. Don't forget that early WoD data/sims had all 3 Mage specs sitting in the bottom 10, and look how that turned out. Our damage might be a little lacking currently (in terrible gear mind you) but I have no doubts that we'll get another run of tuning closer to when Mythic raids are released.
Frost mages are sick. I blow people up. Thanks blizz
Feel the same way. Not quite sure which spec I'll be mostly using... And the artifact weapons make this choice even harder because I have to invest AP into a spec.
09/02/2016 08:00 PMPosted by Dotnpot
mages are feeling very underwhelming compared to other casters. I cannot express how disappointed I am in arcane. Frost has a good kit but I do not know numbers. Fire seems to be the same old.

Shadow priests still feel absolutely awful in dungeons. No AOE, and an incredibly complex rotation and the only way for us to remotely compete with most dps on single target is to take S2M, a 10 min cd that eventually kills us.
Frost Mage is my main, and I'm also feeling weak as a dps in dungeons compare to other classes. Ebonbolt should be an instant cast in my opinion.

May have to play a different class and change my main this expansion. I don't feel like raiding as a mage anymore.
I am very disappointed with current dps on mage. In 110 ungeons casters are doing sustained 100k dps and melee are doing 3 to 7 times that. 300-700k dps on a boss, not trash. Somethings wonky in there. Also standing around the scouting map all the mages are fire. The choice is largely taken away for now it seems. Maybe because fire is pretty but I suspect because it works better. It has the dynamic feel frost used to have.

I understand tuning will come and they planned around filled up artifacts but I still need to feel like I can pull my weight now.
09/03/2016 10:26 PMPosted by Phillias
I am very disappointed with current dps on mage. In 110 ungeons casters are doing sustained 100k dps and melee are doing 3 to 7 times that. 300-700k dps on a boss, not trash. Somethings wonky in there. Also standing around the scouting map all the mages are fire. The choice is largely taken away for now it seems. Maybe because fire is pretty but I suspect because it works better. It has the dynamic feel frost used to have.

I understand tuning will come and they planned around filled up artifacts but I still need to feel like I can pull my weight now.

So true, it blows my mind. I will burst and pop to 200k-250k max single target while some less geared dh is pulling 350k, it's just like what the heck bliz. Inb4 raids with ONLY melee dps or something lol. God, really tempted to change classes. enh, dk, ww, dh all look much more appealing.