released names

Customer Support
So supposedly names were released for use when legion dropped.

TYVEK still says taken. I do a search for character on my server with the name (Wyrmrest Accord) to see if it's still there and there are NO toons with TYVEK on it. (there used to be a belf sitting at lvl 37 for at least 2 years but now that guy doesnt show up)
I want to be able to type my name without special characters. I was told to wait for the xpac to drop.

Can this name be released???
I believe they'll announce when the names are released. It didn't happen at the same time as Legion dropping.
09/12/2016 06:12 PMPosted by Tÿvëk

There was no announcement this occurred, and the one after Warlords was released was a few patches in. It is possible they felt that players deserved a chance to come back to reclaim their accounts and keep their name, which is why that release has not happened yet, so keep an eye on the blog for that announcement at a later date.

As Kozzae mentioned, no name releases were done with the launch of Legion.

I do a search for character on my server with the name (Wyrmrest Accord) to see if it's still there and there are NO toons with TYVEK on it. (there used to be a belf sitting at lvl 37 for at least 2 years but now that guy doesnt show up)

Just for clarification, a character may not show up if it has not been logged in for a while. That doesn't mean the account that the character is on is inactive. If the account itself is active the name wouldn't be released.

Also note that the general rule for name release is the account would have to have been inactive for 2 expansions. So if they were active after Mists of Pandaria was released the name may not be released.

We don't have a specific timeframe on when the name release will be available but keep an eye out one our main site. We'll likely announce it as we did last time.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? Click me.
Wow i was told by a CS Rep there was gonna be a name release when legion dropped. Ugh oh well...i give up
09/12/2016 09:14 PMPosted by Tÿvëk
Wow i was told by a CS Rep there was gonna be a name release when legion dropped. Ugh oh well...i give up

Care to link us a source?
09/12/2016 09:15 PMPosted by Thundertotem

There will be a name release when Legion drops. Eventually. Folks should have time to come back and ensure their names are safe. A month or two seems like an acceptable amount of time for that, IMO.
09/12/2016 09:15 PMPosted by Thundertotem

I can't cos it was a ticket, its long gone now. :-/
Just FYI...

Tyvek is a registered trademark of DuPont.

If the name was reported as such, you'd likely lose it.

For more about Blizzard's naming policy:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/100550

In addition, since WrA is an RP realm... the following rules ALSO apply there.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/300463
09/13/2016 10:46 PMPosted by Brugh
Tyvek is a registered trademark of DuPont.

If the name was reported as such, you'd likely lose it.

Well.... really that tends to only apply if the holder of that trademark disputes its use. Some do, many do not.

09/13/2016 10:46 PMPosted by Brugh
In addition, since WrA is an RP realm... the following rules ALSO apply there.

For well known brands it might be an issue but outside of the high ascii, it feels like it falls well within the genre. :)

Sorry for any confusion, Tyvek. Based on the original blog announcing the name release feature it certainly seemed that the launch of an expansion would be when it happened, but we had not released a specific timeframe. It is currently "Around the launch of the expansion", so it should be soon, but we don't have a specific date yet.