Ghostcrawler regrets LFR, not shocked.

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19 Next
09/13/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Bissafiyah
09/13/2016 12:01 AMPosted by Lyeffion

If you want to lock up appearances, mounts, abilities, etc., behind top-level gameplay, have at it. Can't do that with the storyline, though, or you will never get repeat business. And whether you like it or not, without those uber-casual players, we don't have a game to play here.

I rarely use this argument, because it's stupid and it can actually be explained by something entirely different, but using your logic, correlation=causation. At the height of this game, the most renowned and famous villain was locked behind a 12 boss raid tier without LFR. And they got plenty of repeat business. Hell they did exactly that for the first 6 years of WoW.

Please explain who you are referring to? I guarantee this "repeat business" you speak about can be backed up by some hard data? Because from what I have seen coming back (Mist of Pandaria) after on and offing again WoW because of stress BS the game had endgame, MANY people solo'ed old raids they had never done. Then they were so excited they got to finally see it they announced it in Guild chat.

Repeat business my !@#. I am pretty sure that came out of your $%^.
09/13/2016 04:51 PMPosted by Bissafiyah
Yes, yes. I suppose I should have said that it was so extremely ridiculous that it should have been to ridiculous even for a thread with a bunch of ridiculous arguments mostly proved to the arguer through confirmation bias.

Forgive me for asking i suppose, but what is the new evidence you are referring to in this thread? You said there was only one truly and honestly ridiculous argument. i am not disagreeing with you that the one you pointed out is ridiculous (i entirely agree). i am disagreeing with you on the number of ridiculous arguments.

For example, saying Ghostcrawler got fired or that they "had a discussion behind closed doors" is a factually incorrect and/or unprovable statement. Making any argument based on that is ridiculous. I suspect that person does not belong to Blizzard HR.

"But hey, i'm going to make a completely untrue statement that, because i know it's untrue, could be characterized as libel but when i get called out, i'm just going to be quiet and downvote because i know i can't defend my fantasy of Ghostcrawler being fired. It's a fact in my head; that's good enough, jerks."
LFR could be great if the community wasn't completely lazy. They had to nerf the content difficulty of LFR into the ground because of people intentionally leeching off of others' effort. People bragged in WoD about AFKing for free satchels full of gold and armor tokens. It's your own fault.
09/13/2016 05:18 PMPosted by Curtregory
LFR could be great if the community wasn't completely lazy. They had to nerf the content difficulty of LFR into the ground because of people intentionally leeching off of others' effort. People bragged in WoD about AFKing for free satchels full of gold and armor tokens. It's your own fault.

This, so much this
09/13/2016 05:32 PMPosted by Dangette
09/13/2016 05:18 PMPosted by Curtregory

This, so much this

The more people outgear the content the more this is tolerated. If people keep wiping then kicks are frequent. I suspect LFR is not the only activity where people relax once they start to outgear, so why exclusively pick on LFR for this behavior? Also even when content has started to be outgeared, this is still rare. Consider looking beyond edge case stereotypes.
How many years ago did he leave? What's wrong with him that he still cries about WoW for attention?
You know what I find the most hilarious of all this. Is that people complain about the ease of LFR and all that. But almost everytime I am in a LFR and somehow we wipe. People leave in droves.

Then when the people that leave are replaced and we finish the raid the second attempt. Like seriously, your leaving on a lfr wipe.
09/13/2016 05:42 PMPosted by Byleth
How many years ago did he leave? What's wrong with him that he still cries about WoW for attention?

I wonder if he feels regret.

He didn't just leave a familiar workplace with all the perks and benefits, but bragging rights too.

He was a part of WoW behind the scenes and had a hand in its development first hand.

Every other project he would work on afterwards just won't be as renown or respected. No bragging rights that can match the "I worked on World of Warcraft!".
09/13/2016 12:04 AMPosted by Zainoqt
09/13/2016 12:01 AMPosted by Lyeffion
This is about the actual storyline itself.

you can play halo but if you dont beat it on legendary you dont get the full ending

uh yeah you do, at for the first three games. havent beaten the newer ones on legendary though
09/12/2016 11:30 PMPosted by Barrison
Whatever.

For me, LFR is a horrible waste of time and I cannot understand why anyone would like it. But people do, and I don't need to understand it - I just accept it.

Blizzard has done it fine this go-around - if you never wanna step foot in LFR, you *absolutely* don't have to. After a week of Heroics/Mythics/World Quests, my character is nearly at ilvl840 and ready for Flex. This'll be the first time LFR has ever been out that I don't feel compelled to do them.

Because it is the only way i can get to see the content? With college starting up again i don't have the time to put into raiding when you put in work, night classes, and Homework.
For the love of God, the feature isn´t even available yet and we already get LFR qq??

Grown up OP, the opinion of Ghostcrawler is irrelevant to the feature -heck lots of people DO enjoy it, let us be-

So much salt over this absurd dead horse, sigh...
LFR serves a purpose for people who lack either the skill to run normal raids or otherwise can't seem to be able to find groups. Personally I'd never defend the faceroll it is now, but it's the only way to experience the content outside of watching youtube videos for some people, myself included. People who are easily able to pop in pre-made finder and get popped right into a forming PuG clearly have no use for LFR, and should never use it because what's the point? Don't see the harm in leaving it there for people who suck too much to do higher difficulties or are too asocial/impatient to deal with manually put together PuGs.
09/13/2016 03:47 AMPosted by Kajasz
heres the thing tho NO YOU DONT HAVE TO LET EVERY MOUTH BREATHER IN if everyone has a Ferrari how special is owning a Ferrari?

No, but everyone who pays for a Ferrari should get a Ferrari. If you paid for a Ferrari and got a Camaro, how pee'd off who you be? Sorry to break this to you, but you're not special, you pay for as much content as I do.

This got downvoted 'cause it's true.

Depends on whether everyone paid for the Ferrari or not.

It's also a terrible analogy :). It's more like 'I feel less happy about my Ferrari because my neighbour got a new Honda Civic.'

It's a really great analogy, actually. We like to forget about the fact that the game is pay-to-play while we're in it, but it is.

The sort of elitism that makes people scream against LFR and love on battleground-gated profession recipes is fine for a free-to-play game.

Here's an even better analogy. Let's say I'm super-smart and I like intellectual entertainment. I know the masses can't fully enjoy my kind of movies but I think they should pay for them anyway. They have the same opportunity to watch them I do. They should just git smart.

The fact of the matter is that intellectual movies will have a smaller budget and it's right that they should. They cater to a minority. If the movie wants a bigger budget it can add some explosions and appeal to the masses, because the masses shouldn't be expected to pay for entertainment designed for them to miss out on and others to enjoy.
09/12/2016 11:14 PMPosted by Jhenny
"I have a lot of regrets about Raid Finder for WoW. I am sure I worked on features that were much, much worse, but that's the first one that came to mind.

To be clear, the goal of getting more players into raiding is a good one. But the way Raid Finder turned out removed, IMO anyway, a lot of the epicness of what made raiding raiding. I also haven't played WoW in a few years, so it's entirely possible they have solved the problem by now."

That was said by Ghostcrawler in his AMA about 10 hours ago. Don't worry though guys, it's clearly the best thing to ever touch this game!

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/52fxo1/ama_league_design_lead_greg_ghostcrawler_street/d7jwm98

Great. Another expansion full of QQ on GD about LFR!! You don't like it don't run it. And who gives a damn what Ghostcrawler thinks?
HIGHLY RATED
18 hours ago
 (Edited)

I like LFR... I don't see how they impact regular raiders whatsoever. Unless mythic raiders just want themselves to be special being the only ones that get to do certain content...

This is exactly what it is.
Can anyone explain to me why the ramblings of a developer long gone even matter to the current state of this game at this point in time?
09/13/2016 06:27 PMPosted by Aliandrin

It's also a terrible analogy :). It's more like 'I feel less happy about my Ferrari because my neighbour got a new Honda Civic.'

It's a really great analogy, actually. We like to forget about the fact that the game is pay-to-play while we're in it, but it is.

The sort of elitism that makes people scream against LFR and love on battleground-gated profession recipes is fine for a free-to-play game.

Here's an even better analogy. Let's say I'm super-smart and I like intellectual entertainment. I know the masses can't fully enjoy my kind of movies but I think they should pay for them anyway. They have the same opportunity to watch them I do. They should just git smart.

The fact of the matter is that intellectual movies will have a smaller budget and it's right that they should. They cater to a minority. If the movie wants a bigger budget it can add some explosions and appeal to the masses, because the masses shouldn't be expected to pay for entertainment designed for them to miss out on and others to enjoy.

Are there intellectual movies? Or are they just movies that are such utter crap that the only way to justify the time and money invested is to say "you just weren't smart enough to understand."
09/13/2016 06:33 PMPosted by Galkresh
Can anyone explain to me why the ramblings of a developer long gone even matter to the current state of this game at this point in time?

This discussion isn't about the developer, and we all know it. It has to do with the future of WoW and how content could possibly be handled in the future. Blizzard already has made it clear there will be some non lfd in Legion, such as Kara.
[quote="207473993266"]
I think it's a silly subject to argue about. I think the only real hate LFR gets is more from the fact that it adds another difficulty that higher end raiders sometimes need to endure for the purpose of staying cutting edge.

Plus it's boring.

Well, you may think it's boring but in the same stroke that LFR was gutted in WoD another difficulty level ('normal') was inserted at the end of MoP- thereby invalidating the mythic progression/try-hard argument of 'too much of the same raid to endure to stay cutting edge'. I've always eye-rolled at that argument because 1) it was blizzard putting the OP 4p set bonus/trinkets in the game that were essentially way over-budget and 2) the try-hards really shouldn't be complaining about how much time it takes to stay cutting edge in the first place, PARTICULARLY when the end result is WoD level LFR middle finger to the greater playerbase that doesn't want to structure their life around raiding (ie the MoP LFR masses).

Bonus points for the inclusion of a better match-making system for PUGs (really needed given the realities of dead servers and blizzard desire to not merge servers when the game pop was plummeting)- I did use the heck out of Oqueue before it was improved upon by blizz in WoD to get world quests done, but for people like me, the 'raid or die' focused mentality implemented in WoD just alienated me to the point of unsubbing. We shall see how Legion goes.

I can get behind mythic+ (because it's 5 man content instead of 10+) but I'm done with the structured raiding thing and to me PUG raiding (ie normal and late tier heriocs) is just as terrible as LFR with only slightly more control over the group makeup (with all the pros and cons associated with that). I reject all of that and would much rather solo most of the time and play with my RL friends when we are all available. So I disagree with Greg here as one of the guys that liked the idea of LFR (and valor gear, etc.) and nerfing it into irrelevancy was a tipping point for losing my revenue.