PC Sudden Crash / Reboot

Technical Support
1 2 3 6 Next
So I have been reading through the forums and I am actually elated? that users are having the same issues as I am.

Issue:
My current problem (which seems to be happening for other's) is that while I am playing my computer simply shuts down and reboots, especially if I try to run higher graphic settings it sometimes will instantly reboot, if lower.. than it could take a little longer for a certain event to happen it seems. I had never had this problem in the past and I run all of my games on full graphic settings.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-920
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
12GB DDR3 SDRAM
DELL Motherboard
600W PSU

Attempted Problem Solving:
- Ran multiple benchmark/stress testing atmospheres with no problems.
- Continue to run Core Temp / HWiNFO to monitor usages/temp's.
- Cleaned out my computer completely of dust etc, even left the case open for cooling.
- Toyed with driver versions / control panel NVIDIA settings.
- Toyed with WoW application settings (seems having antialising / texture to the lowest settings gives more longevity)
- Checked forum's for resolutions but have only seen other users experiencing the same issues with no resolve.'

Findings:

It appears no temp / PSU issues are really the problem. Considering I can run all other games with multiple applications open at the highest of settings as well as run many benchmarks without any iterations of crashing / restarting.. I am convinced there has got to be some type of issues with either something in a patch/driver with wow/nvidia.

Does anyone have some help they can lend or any suggestion that has not been brought up? Again, my computer runs everything except WoW with 0 issues on max settings.
Ever since pre-launch for Legion, I started experiencing these random reboots. During pre-launch, it happened only during invasion events. At first, it was frustrating, but whatever I kept on going about my day playing WoW. Fast forward to right now. The restart crashing is more and more frequent, and I'm at wit's end.

I've personally deleted all of the older files Blizzard suggests such as the WTF folder, and addons. On top of that, I personally have repaired the game, and kept my drivers up to date, as well as my OS which is Win10. I keep mentioning this issue with folks, and they're always like "It's just your computer" but here is the catch, these random, but annoying restart crashes are only happening when I play WoW.

Temperature is definitely not an issue for my system, and I keep everything in line. Now I have yet to start nitpicking with settings adding, or dropping to see if performance increases in a sense that makes me never randomly crash. As you have stated, I am also somewhat elated, because for a while I thought my hard drive was failing, but after much troubleshooting, and realizing it only happens in WoW, there is definitely something going awry with our systems playing WoW causing us to randomly crash.
Yeah I pretty much never had the issue until I actually started questing , I ran my game pretty much max settings with the exceptions of shadows because when I had a crappy computer it always screwed me so I figure screw the shadows. I played that way for about a week and once the Legion launch happened I started to quest and would randomly have system re-boots mid killing something.

So for a while I thought oh thats odd, maybe ill tweak the settings.. to the point to where i was running the settings on "2" , still I would get crashes. So I read the issues people were having and did everything but purchase new hardware (thank god) and now I am seeing it seems to be with WoW / Graphic's.

As a reference to how bad the issue is , I even booted the game while I was dead in a graveyard from a previous crash and came in on "2" setting's.. did a little spin and went into the settings and put my settings on 10.. the second I hit apply it rebooted my system.
Can confirm, same exact issue. I can run any other game on my system max settings just fine and stable for hours on end without issue. I log into wow and an hour later (if I'm lucky) it hard cycles, I log back in and 10 minutes later... same thing.

It's definitely not heat, I regularly monitor my temps with afterburner and never get above 60c on my gpu and 40(ish)c on my cpu.

It's not hardware, I swapped out the psu with a known working one, same issue. Also tested the ram 3x, it's fine.

And to say that my system can't handle Legion is a total joke:

Mobo: ASRock Z170 Pro4
Ram: 16GB 3400 MHz DDR4
Cpu: Intel Core i5-6600K
Gpu: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Out of curiosity, have any of you tried running memtest on your VRAM?

I have had issues like this in the past, and they were caused by bad VRAM.

And if you haven't run it, do it. Memory issues (standard or video) can manifest in the most unexpected ways.
I had this issue during the beta, computer would randomly reboot on me as if someone walked up to the computer and hit the restart button.

Every other game worked fine - Overwatch, d3, live wow, etc. But the beta version of wow would hard reset me.

After a month and a half of dealing with this problem I finally relented and bought a new PSU. This was about 6 weeks ago and have not had any problems since.

Take that for what you will though.
09/01/2016 08:09 PMPosted by Greateight
while I am playing my computer simply shuts down and reboots, especially if I try to run higher graphic settings it sometimes will instantly reboot
Hi Greateight! Based on this description alone, my first thought is that it's the PSU (power supply unit).
09/02/2016 01:47 PMPosted by Innervatez
I finally relented and bought a new PSU. This was about 6 weeks ago and have not had any problems since.
Although it's odd this issue wasn't reproducible when you were running benchmark software, I'm thinking Innervatez's situation likely matches your own.
Well I can try yet another PSU.
I am having the same issues. Before the patch yesterday, Wow Legion was running fine, no uncommanded reboots. Now, I can't play for more than 15-20 minutes without the machine rebooting itself on me.

Since this has started happening, I have updated my video drivers, run a memory test, run virus scan, and verified I have no overheating issues.

I played Overwatch for more than an hour without incident. The only time the PC reboots is during WoW.

If there was a PSU problem, the issue would show itself outside of WoW. This is not the case, it only happens when playing WoW.
09/02/2016 02:27 PMPosted by Jagowoshi
09/01/2016 08:09 PMPosted by Greateight
while I am playing my computer simply shuts down and reboots, especially if I try to run higher graphic settings it sometimes will instantly reboot
Hi Greateight! Based on this description alone, my first thought is that it's the PSU (power supply unit).
09/02/2016 01:47 PMPosted by Innervatez
I finally relented and bought a new PSU. This was about 6 weeks ago and have not had any problems since.
Although it's odd this issue wasn't reproducible when you were running benchmark software, I'm thinking Innervatez's situation likely matches your own.

Yea, except it's not. I have the same exact issue and replaced my PSU with a known working one yesterday and still experienced hard crashes. Before and on Legion release day I played for literally 20+ hours straight with not one single crash or hiccup. The day after that and ever since I have been crashing. Something changed in that time, I'm not sure what it was, but this is not hardware related.
Same Issue! This is a nightmare
I've been having the same issue for the last day and a half. I rolled back my Windows 10 build to before the Anniversary Update, I rolled back my Nvidia driver after running DDU in safe mode, reset my interface, followed all of the troubleshooting tips, and finally gave up and started reinstalling WoW. Now the odd thing is, I uninstalled WoW and started reinstalling it, which for me is no small feat with my slow DSL connection, the game was actually starting and getting to the character select screen at the "playable", but now that it's hit "optimal" in the download progress I'm getting the hard PC shutdowns again when I try to play. Temps are not an issue as my CPU runs at a nice 45c under full load, and my gfx card never runs over 55c, plus DxDiag shows everything is working perfectly. EVERYTHING else that I throw at it, other games run perfectly, but when I try to play WoW it shuts down my PC at the Connecting screen. Just to make sure my bases are all covered I ordered a new PSU, which unfortunately will take 5-10 business days to get here. Hopefully the new PSU will sort it out, it's a shame that I'm actually off for the next couple of days thanks to Labor Day, but now I'm stuck unable to play when it was running fine yesterday morning.

EDIT: I had Diablo 3 listed as it was working earlier, now just like WoW as soon as it hits the connecting screen it's causing my PC to shut down, really starting to think it's something on Blizz's end now.
Alright, after much thinking and troubleshooting figuring out WHAT was causing myself to crash and enjoy them lovely restarts randomly. I believe I found a way to stop this issue. Now, mind you, this works for myself. Today, I've played for about 12 hours, and have been really going hard. Here is the kicker, in those 12 hours, I have not experienced a single restart on my system.

To add some information, I noticed my system would start to stutter when anything heavy on particles entered the pictured. Last night, when I last experienced a crash, I noticed that my system restarted at a point where I can clearly see what caused the issue perhaps.

My method around this is as follows: My system is quite beefy, so my specs may not match yours, but you can probably tinker and finagle with setting that meet your needs similar to mine. Here are my specs that seem to have stopped the crashing/restart cycle:

#1 http://i.imgur.com/n3RVeVW.jpg
#2 http://i.imgur.com/MQpJbIn.jpg

Now to summarize: Essentially, in my case, I started to noticed a trend in my crashes/restarts that pertained to particle effects. So I simply dropped particle density from High to Good. To help alleviate some of the load, I dropped my slider down on clip distance from 7 to 5. Shadow Quality I believe I also dropped from Ultra High to Ultra. The difference is minuscule, but anything we can do to help quell this problem is a blessing. Hopefully what information I just discussed helps some of you.
I was able to fix this problem last night, my PC hasn't rebooted during WoW since I did the following. And it might be worth a shot for those of you that are using GeForce cards. This is using the latest drivers. I am running a GTX 970.

Open up the NVIDIA GeForce Experience software. Under the "Games" tab, find your installation of WoW (You may have to scan for games on your PC) and then use the "Optimize" button.
I've been getting this exact same issue since the invasions, I've noticed it occur more frequently when more is going on. Like if there is heaps of casting going on, I'll most likely crash. This crash only occurs in WoW. I can play games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on max-ish and have it run smooth as with no crashes. I'm starting to feel like this is more of an error with WoW.
Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I can't even get in the game long enough to change any settings. I tried the Optimize thing through GeForce Experience and it's still crashing. The odd thing is I just freshly reinstalled WoW, ran the scan/repair tool just to double check everything, and after a brand new installation, it downloaded 75mb. So I figured, hey, maybe that fixed it tried running it again, and the intro movie started playing, progress! Or so I thought, I pressed Esc to skip it and boom, PC shut down again. This is really frustrating.
I haven't found a solution in my case either. Swapping out with another video card worked, but my main card worked fine in someone elses machine. All troubleshooting leads to dead ends-

Video card : Works fine in another PC.
PSU : All other more intensive games run fine.
CPU: ^Same and all Temps are normal
WoW installation: Game runs fine with an older card.
Windows / Harddrive: ^Same

I don't mind upgrading something, but it's hard to know what will fix it since there's no errors or messages generated.
Echo the comments here in the thread...glad I'm not the only one, but extremely frustrated. Game was running great up until maybe 2 days before Legion hit. Prior to I was doing invasions all hours of the day with no restarts.

Will look at some of the potential solutions folks found and report back. At the moment, I just hearthed to Dal and the moment the screen changes from loading to Dal...boom, restart.

The other odd thing, is that I went into my windows settings and unchecked the automatic restart in hopes that this was a BSOD issue...and sure enough...my PC still restarts. It doesn't even record a dump file, so it would appear that my system "thinks" everything is working as intended even though it just crashed.
I've experienced my computer's first every BSOD after deciding to reactivate my wow account for Legion, happened during the pre-launch invasions and it's happened 3 times since the launch. This ONLY happens in WoW, it's extremely frustrating and it would be nice to find out what the problem is because if it isn't found I'll simply quit the game again until they fix it.
My problem is definitely narrowed down to either my gfx card or PSU. For one last test I ran through my onboard video (shudders) and the game loaded up just fine. New PSU is on the way, so hopefully that will fix it as I've noticed during reboots that my ASUS mobo anti-surge protection is being tripped when WoW causes my PC to crash, so hopefully it's just a faulty PSU. On a very fixed budget right now, so can't go dumping $100+ into a new gfx card right now, especially when it runs everything else with no issue at all, even waaaaay more graphically intensive games.