Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
09/05/2016 02:25 PMPosted by Myrealgf
@Itsonmyface, specs are:
i7-4790k
16gb RAM
GTX 980Ti
EVGA SuperNova NEX650G 80 Plus Gold

I followed Câde's posted solution last night, tweaked a few things here and there in my settings...mainly particle density/view distance...and had a nice night of 8+ hours of game play without a restart. I want to test this solution a bit more, at least 3-4 days of play without a restart to be sure this actually worked.

I'll post my in-game settings later on, but in general, what seemed to work was going one setting below the "recommended" setting in game, i.e. if recommended shadow quality is ultra, i set it to high, etc.

Lowering the setting makes your GPU draw less power. See below. The supply you have is not big enough for the card you have.

How many of you have multi rail supplies at least one has a 2 rail the other has a 4. If you are running a high end card and a multi rail supply it has to be a really big supply. 1000+ watts. The total wattage available to the 12 volt line is divided by how many rails you have.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 Gold Power Supply for example has 4 power rails each with only 15.25 amps per rail peek . A GeForce GTX 970 has a peak draw of around 20 amps

EVGA SuperNova NEX650G 80 Plus Gold has two rails and also does not have the power on a single rail to power the card. only has 20 amps per rail peak draw.

The total wattage listed on NVidia /AMD is based on a single rail supply . If you go multi rails you have to ensure that each rail has enough amps to power the card and enough on the rails to power the CPU which is also taken from the 12 volt line . Need 25+ watts per rail for a GTX 980 TI.
Thanks for the reply Northernlite...it's the first I've seen providing quality info aside from, 'eh, sounds like your PSU is dead' :)

That being said I took a pretty deep dive into my PSU and figuring this !@#$ out...typically everyone looks at watt amount and says, 'oh your fine' without even thinking about amps.

As mentioned, the NEX650G has 2 rails for GPU power and 2 rails for all else (MB, CPU, SATA). Max output for each rail is 20amps per listed specs. Now, what I thought was odd was that if there's 2 rails for GPU power and I'm currently connected to only 1, then there's another 20amps I should be able to use via the 2nd rail. I ended up connecting my PSU to my card as such, where I thought I'd be "tapped" into both rails to have...40amps to use...however, again after loading from Skyhold to Dalaran (with Chrome open on my other monitor)...I had a restart. So clearly, my brilliant idea didn't work, but it was worth a shot.

Next steps for myself are to invest in a pretty heavy PSU and probably get rid of this problem for good. Who would have thought that WoW of all my games would test my machine to the point of crashing. I think that's what boggles me the most. Which is why I'm still hesitant to stop giving Blizz a slight wag of the finger :)

Will provide an update when a new PSU is in place...until next time! Thxs!!
09/08/2016 11:53 PMPosted by Aedann
I believe that I have been having the same problem. It started up for me on Tuesday and has been horribly consistent. Randomly while playing I get a BSOD with the error message "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my AMD drivers twice, run fixes through Advanced System Care Ultimate, uninstalled and reinstalled WoW, but nothing has fixed it.

Today I played Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends for 2-3 hours with no issues, but after playing WoW for a little over an hour my laptop crashed and rebooted again. I'm beginning to wonder if it is my PC, or WoW itself.

I'm having the same issue, with growing frequency as both WoW and Windows 10 update. I updated my bios, graphics driver, sound driver, tried swapping all the associated programs to different combinations of compatibility mode, and also saw that having things plugged in could cause the issue on a Microsoft forum (not that unplugging my external hard-drive helped), and yet now I can't play WoW without my computer getting THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER after the update on Tuesday (Both Win10 and WoW had updates). I can stay on for maybe 5 minutes, tops. And all this only happens for while playing World of Warcraft.
Seems that deleting everything in the cache folder lets me play... Not sure how permanent a fix this is, but I got the idea due to the fact that occasionally you have to empty the cache folder to fix the never ending "Retrieving Item Information" bug also.

Soooo looks like Blizz is putting cancer in our cache =O

I'll post back if I end up with more info.
10/06/2016 11:07 AMPosted by Fennus
Seems that deleting everything in the cache folder lets me play... Not sure how permanent a fix this is, but I got the idea due to the fact that occasionally you have to empty the cache folder to fix the never ending "Retrieving Item Information" bug also.

Soooo looks like Blizz is putting cancer in our cache =O

I'll post back if I end up with more info.

Nope, doesn't seem anything fixes it. Guess I'm just going to wait for my account to time out, since Blizzard doesn't want to fix whatever their game is doing to cause infinitely looping threads. I can't play the game like this anyways, and it IS just this one game.
Alright, I'm back again with more information pertaining to this issue. After an hour long discussion with a GM last night talking about this issue that I am now facing yet again. To preface, my PSU is NOT failing. I've ran multiple programs, and ran such an enormous amount of tests, that my system is in fact, A-OK.

As for myself, the 'main' source causing me to crash/reboot is particle effects. I've put particle density at low, and I still experience crashing/rebooting. The number one area that I will almost always crash if I do extensive camera turning, and spinning while standing in a particle heavy effect, is Neltharion's Lair. Specifically the entrance, where the little bugs explode and leave that nasty green AE ability that is super heavy on the particles.

After much troubleshooting, and analyzing, the main source causing the crash is actually my GPU (GTX 780) hitting over 100% power usage. Here's the kicker. I've ran a slew of benchmarks that are quite extensive on a system, played more taxing games such as The Witcher 3, and FFXIV, and turned my settings up to almost ultra, and tested for some time, and never has my GPU power usage hit over 100% like it does in WoW. In Neltharion's Lair, the moment that green puddle hits, and I deliberately step in it, and stew, I quickly peak at my system settings. My temperature's hit ~55-60 degrees Celsius (Overwatch on ultra hits 79) but my GPU's power will spike from 30%-99%. The moment it caps at 100% my system crashes and restarts.

To see if I can cap my GPU's power usage, I used EVGA Precision XOC and capped my GPU's power cap to 95%, but still, in Neltharion's Lair to be specific. My GPU power excedes 95%, thus eventually if I look up, and spin my camera. Standing inside the particle effect, I will indeed crash and have a system restart. As aforementioned, my PSU is NOT failing. My 12v rails are still above a 12. If I was hitting 11, then I can say that yes, my PSU is indeed failing, but that is not the case because my computer is only experiencing this issue playing WoW.

Hopefully what I have disclosed helps us, because I've literally tried everything, and I am still down to try more potential solutions. And to add one last point, under the NVIDIA Control Panel, my Power Management Mode is set to Maximum Performance. My drivers, and Windows 10 are all also up to date.
I just updated to the latest Nvidia drivers and now everytime I connect to WOW servers I get the reboot.

Nvidia 970 dual card system. everything was fine until I updated and ran the optimization.
I set my graphics card to the lowest level and logged into Windows 7 instead of Windows 10 64 on my dual boot system. Now everything works.

Same system same psu only difference is running wow in Windows 10 64 bit versus Windows 7 32 bit.

Could this be a 64 bit issue or is it Windows 10 and wow?
1080 ftw
z170a
16 gb 2666
corsair HX850

dies on login screen, every time
able to get into the game via dodging the image of the loading screen by ctrl alt del (let the screen sit there, then come into game after 10secs~)

EDIT: did above (^) and flipped to DX9 - no longer crashes. weird, but okay
Im having this issue. It happens when I'm in Dalaran or logging into Dalaran where itll just shut my computer down and power my fans up all the way. Have to hard reset everytime. Only started doing this recently. May have something to do with 7.1
I guess no updates from Blizz on this? If I up the specs on windows 7 it crashes when the logon screen comes up. On both 10 and 7 if I do what Absolutionxi suggests and ctl+alt+del and bypass the logon screen it runs for a bit but does eventually crash. I believe it is 7.1 using DX11 features in a way that is not compatible with the current NVIDIA drivers. Not sure if its Nvidia or WOW but nothing other than WOW causes this problem
I'm having the same issue. As soon as I hit play in the launcher the login screen appears for a split second and then power cycles my pc. I have disable dvrs, updated drivers, messed with cache folder and removed all add-ons. The only fix I found was to remove my 980ti and put an old Radeon 7700 in. The AMD card works no problem. I do not know if Wow and Nvidia are having issues but it sure seems like it. The 980ti runs every other game I throw at it right now with no issues.
10/31/2016 10:23 AMPosted by Nekrøs
I'm having the same issue. As soon as I hit play in the launcher the login screen appears for a split second and then power cycles my pc. I have disable dvrs, updated drivers, messed with cache folder and removed all add-ons. The only fix I found was to remove my 980ti and put an old Radeon 7700 in. The AMD card works no problem. I do not know if Wow and Nvidia are having issues but it sure seems like it. The 980ti runs every other game I throw at it right now with no issues.

I have an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series and I'm having the same issue, computer just restarts with no error message at all, the problem started playing wow after patch 7.1, now it happens after 10min I turn on the computer, the only thing that helped was changing windows power settings to 50% processor power, now the computer is slow but it stopped the random restarts, I still need to try with another PSU, since the problem looks like a PSU failing.

When I check with HWmonitor all values looks normal.
Not really having the same issue as you per se (you've been having trouble since Sept. 3 which I have not) but very recently (not even with 7.1 but a few days after) I had wow hard lock bsod my pc. Updated some drivers and ran a mem test everything seemed fine. Tried playing WoW again within 5 minutes (almost every time now) hard crash. Been playing Overwatch on the same PC for a few hours now no problem. Not a hardware/driver error on my end I think it's definitely a WoW issue specifically i.e. Blizzard will have to fix it lol (holds breath.... DEAD). Can't really provide any relevant info other than game randomly crashes entire PC. Doesn't seem to be a specific zone or caused by any specific action. Having zero issues with other games or hardware.
I have an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series and I'm having the same issue, computer just restarts with no error message at all, the problem started playing wow after patch 7.1, now it happens after 10min I turn on the computer, the only thing that helped was changing windows power settings to 50% processor power, now the computer is slow but it stopped the random restarts, I still need to try with another PSU, since the problem looks like a PSU failing.

When I check with HWmonitor all values looks normal.[/quote]

oh and I forgot to say that I also get this message from AMD crimsom "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure""
Has anyone come up with a solution? My computer reboots at random while playing WOW. It does not do this with any other game.
Bump
So out of frustration I deleted the partition and ran a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary build 1627. I used windows update to get new drivers. I reinstalled WOW. I have been playing for 3 hours with no problems. Prior to the clean install I had issues with windows update continually failing.

I did NOT run GeForce experience and use the optimized game settings I only used the defaults.

I know this isn't an option for most folks but I thought I would share in case Blizz decides to look into it.
I have the same Problem as you Guys. Got a GTX 970 and Win10. I wanted to inform you, that let i switched my graphics settings to default, which switched to windowed mode. For some reason this helped.

Hope i could help someone with this.
I've been battling this issue all weekend.

i7 6700k, stock speed.
16GB RAM
EVGA 980ti
EVGA 850W Titanium PSU.

Sometimes I can play for hours, sometimes minutes. Lowering graphics settings to minimum gets me some mileage, but doesn't eliminate the issue. Both DX11 and DX9 crash. Particle effects seem to exacerbate the issue, but I've crashed talking to a flight master just as often as I have in dungeons and raids. GPU temps never get over 70C, CPU stays in the 40s.

I've tried updating drivers, reinstalling Windows, and my BIOS and firmware are all running the latest updates.

Stock or OC processor speeds both crash. RAM at PC2133 or PC3200 doesn't make a difference.

If anyone has any wisdom here I'd appreciate it. Like the others, WoW is the only game that has any issue - everything else runs without a problem.