Champion limit is unnecessary

General Discussion
So in the Q&A Ion said this:

There is some awkwardness in having eight champions and only being able to use five of them.
The champion limit allows the team to make you choose which missions you want to do. If the limit was increased, more missions would have to be offered and it would creep closer to the Garrison system where there are constant missions and it is a large feature.

I just don't understand this logic.

Why do you need to have more missions for more followers? Isn't it fine to have active followers that aren't doing anything, while also giving you all the options for missions? How is that different from having inactive followers that aren't doing anything? Like for paladins, they literally just stand around the order hall not doing anything. It doesn't make any sense, there's no stated reason for it, it's just a thing with no justification.

It's not choices to be made, because there's clearly set ups of champions that are just better than others. For Paladins, we only want to use 1 of our 3 holy spec champions, because there's only 4 potential holy specced missions that can ever spawn, vs 19 and 22 ret and prot missions. So we're never going to want to use the other two currently. So what's the point of them even existing if they're just going to be inactive forever because of this poor continuation of bad wod ideas?

Just undo the limit and leave missions as is, it's not complicated.
Go forth and gather the greatest champions of your order for they will all be needed to fight this great evil!

Ok, we have assembled now what?

Now bench about half of them. They wont be needed
It's a shame because this expansion has so many great things about it, and yet statements from Ion shows how out of touch he is.

Why give us 8 champions (which are connected to our class story) and can only use a percentage of them? Why are they called champions in that case?

I rescued a priest from being murdered and she has shown to be very skilled in discipline abilities only to basically say, I don't need her anymore because compared to the others, she's not good enough.

There is some awkwardness in having eight champions and only being able to use five of them

Umm DUH

The champion limit allows the team to make you choose which missions you want to do. If the limit was increased, more missions would have to be offered and it would creep closer to the Garrison system where there are constant missions and it is a large feature.

Dude, WHAT??

The amount of missions given right now seems just about right. No need to increase it. I also am holding back now doing missions, since I have no idea when a class quest mission will pop for my rogue.
It's not as if you'd constantly be sending them out on missions, either. For example, I would absolutely love to have Rottgut as my follower because his ability seems really strong for soloing World Quest Bosses, but I need to have Darion, Sally, Nazgrim, Koltira and Thoras active to cover all my mission bases. It's entirely unfortunate.
For mages, the "right" choice seems to be benching Millhouse and Vargoth, two incredibly iconic NPCs. I have to choose between the followers I want to have, and the optimal follower set up. It's just not... fun. If you wanted us to have 5 slots, all 5 should have been major-moderate lore characters instead of adding the filler ones. If I need to bench 3 champions, why do I even have "Esarra Verrinde" on my roster?

Another option: at least let me respec my champs for order resources with a cooldown. It would at least let me roll with the champions I want to have active.
Bad enough there is a limit, then they hold them hostage for 250 gold a pop
09/09/2016 12:01 PMPosted by Liyen
Bad enough there is a limit, then they hold them hostage for 250 gold a pop

And you can only alter your champion roster once per day.
I have Lothraxion, a holy dreadlord and High General in the Grand Army of the Light. He's just sitting around being useless. How is this good for class fantasy? How is this good game design?

Also: Because I have Boros tanking for me, and I'm not willing to bench him, I can essentially only have 4 champions.
Lothraxion is the big casualty here as far as paladins are concerned yeah. Especially with how good his bodyguard ability is, it might be the best one maybe next to warrior's Thorim. But if you want to do missions efficiently, he's not good enough, so I guess just stand around in the order hall all day.
Agreed. I want my Bros and My four horsemen dammit.
I DEMAND BOTH POWER< FEAR AND RESPECT!
But mostly fear because I will be the next lich king and none of you forget it!
*Goes back to flogging both Arthas and Bolvar with a bullwhip*
"As time goes on, it will make a lot more sense" - Josh Allen

You mean a couple months of subscription time?
09/09/2016 01:10 PMPosted by Cliffel

Not sure how they will ever make benching the greatest heroes on azeroth make sense
I'm benching Rexxar. I'm benching mother !@#$ing REXXAR! REXXAR!

HE DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO BE A PART OF THIS ORDER IN THE FIRST PLACE!?? WHAT'S THE POINT??
Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

09/09/2016 01:10 PMPosted by Cliffel

Seems like the gameplan.
the limit is stupid.

and there is no need to give us MORE missions. cap the number offered at once, and let us decide which guys to use.

We already have plenty of natural gating methods. Few missions, lots of counters that need to be considered, and the fact the resource cost becomes more of an issue later on when we gotta spend 10k plus for upgrades etc.

No point in benching heroes in our time of need. This ruins the fantasy of playing the leader of our order...
I'm benching Rexxar. I'm benching mother !@#$ing REXXAR! REXXAR!

I don't know about you but only Rexxar can properly warm the bench at the lodge, besides what better things does he have to do?

I really hate that we get some big names with cool back stories, and then say "Meh, I can do better I guess".

Give us all 8, or like someone said in another post give us passives when they get benched. Rexxar makes me show him I can survive in the wild, maybe let him train others to survive, and his passive will add lives to our troops and let us use them more. They don' have to be world wide passives, but make having them in our order seem useful.
flawed thinking the playerbase wouldn't prioritize the class missions/world story over everything else that pops on that mission board...again
Acc

09/09/2016 11:42 AMPosted by Mynny
It's a shame because this expansion has so many great things about it, and yet statements from Ion shows how out of touch he is.

Why give us 8 champions (which are connected to our class story) and can only use a percentage of them? Why are they called champions in that case?

I rescued a priest from being murdered and she has shown to be very skilled in discipline abilities only to basically say, I don't need her anymore because compared to the others, she's not good enough.

Well, according to Ion, we're trolling and spamming. In other words, he's afraid to admit he's wrong and has too much pride.
Why?
After all of the crap Blizz took over Followers and Mission Tables in WoD you really need to ask why?
Seriously?

OK... here we go.
WoD.
Players flooded the Forums complaining about how they were being "FORCED" to play the Garrison mini-game, "FORCED" to hang out in their Garrison 24/7 just waiting on Missions.
None of it was true of course but that did not stop the tears from flowing.

09/09/2016 01:31 PMPosted by Tezidari
and there is no need to give us MORE missions. cap the number offered at once, and let us decide which guys to use.

Great idea... but that will not work.
Why?
Because the same players that demanded more followers will soon demand more missions.
Why?
"Blizz it is just stupid to just have all of these Followers sitting around doing nothing... GIVE US MORE MISSIONS!"
That is why.

So the reason why you have a limited number of Followers and a small number of Missions is that if Blizz gave us more we would just demand more and more and be right back to where we were in WoD with Players complaining about too many Missions and too much time spent doing them.
Blizz knows this.
I know this.
So should you.