If Character Boosts Did Not Exist

General Discussion
Since WoD, expansion purchases have included a single character boost to launch a new player right into current content. Character boosts to current content are also for sale in the company store.

If character boosts had never been introduced to WoW, do you think it would have helped or hurt the game? Why?
There was a character boost thing towards the end of Cata too. It was called the scroll of resurrection, it was an event offered around march 2010. It encluded a boost to lvl 80.
09/03/2016 12:55 PMPosted by Kinto
There was a character boost thing towards the end of Cata too. It was called the scroll of resurrection, it was an event offered around march 2010. It encluded a boost to lvl 80.

Ah, I never knew that, because I didn't start playing until long after Cata.
I don't think it would of mattered either way but I for one like having a free 100 sitting around. Questing can be fun but it's also fun to play a different class/race without starting from scratch. It's also SUPER helpful because you get some decent starting bags!
This is a years old game and afaik the free boosts were aimed at those players who left without leveling to max. These players had a chance of not going through old stuff but join everyone else for the new content.
If character boosts didn't exist, I would have quit the game. No way in hell am I leveling 1-90.
Hurt. I hate leveling.
Its meant to help bring in new players. If someone who never played WoW before started at Legion after seeing all the hype and marketing had to start at lvl 1 and spend potentially weeks grinding up to 100 just to start playing the game they thought they purchased they wouldn't be inclined to stay around.

So as far as the boost that comes from purchasing the expansion, I believe it's a good thing, more new subs means WoW stays in business to keep creating new content.

As for the purchasable boosts, I'm not sure. I think they're basically irrelevant, the high cost kinds stems any real damage (a flood of idiots with boosted chatscters being obnoxious). If the boost were cheaper, like say $20 I could see it being a problem
I don't think the lack of a boost would have made much of a difference other than some players would have fewer alts. It doesn't actually improve the game, it just lets players skip content they don't want to do.

It's just ironic that Blizzard is willing to let players skip content at the same time they're trying to force players into content they have no interest in. It's very inconsistent game design that only benefits those who can afford to buy the boost instead of the entire player base.

09/03/2016 12:55 PMPosted by Kinto

That was limited to returning players re-activating accounts they hadn't played in years. They only got the one boost (along with a free character transfer they could use on the boosted character) for their account. They couldn't buy more.
I believe it has helped a lot, for both old and new players.

It helps new players jump right into current content where the game is actually taking place, and it allows old players to try a new class without having to do the same leveling content they have been doing for years already.