Legion Developer Q&A – Submit Your Questions

General Discussion
Prev 1 22 23 24 59 Next
Is it intended that artifact work orders don't dynamically update?
Oh look, they're interviewing Ion.

I wonder what's his excuse this time for not buffing us.

Why are we so under-tuned compared to other classes?
Preamble regarding class fantasy: WoW is over a decade old and many players of this RPg have been playing their characters for many years, if they are given to class fantasy to begin with - they already have theirs pretty well set. Using priests as an example: some people might imagine their shadow priest as a worshiper of the Old Gods actively seeking madness- sure, but some might see their SP as more in line with Anzu (or the like) and being essentially good. While certainly some Disc priests might be drawn to the notion of balancing on the razors edge between Shadow and Light many haven't played that way in years if ever, and their conception for their characters had *nothing* to do with that class fantasy (actually seeing their characters as centered on protecting others).

With the announcement for this launch came a declaration about what orthodox class fantasy was. But to add injury to that insult by then making sweeping class changes, predicated on a class fantasy that may not actually be embraced by all of the players of that class...?

Questions:

1. Would it be possible going forward to leave the core concepts of a class (the class fantasy and where applicable - accompanying mechanics) as a more consistent and somewhat less starkly specific palette - particularly for already well established classes and specs? Changes like this are jarring within the experience of the story, particularly when the only real option for an explanation is a retcon. (How else do you explain an entire order of priestly warders who now suddenly are less skilled at protection and are all about dishing out harm and dabbling in shadow magic? Other specs/classes have their own examples, demo perhaps being one of the most glaring)

2. For Disc specifically, would it be possible to scale up the performance of PW:R and/or Plea to make it easier to play without using shadow skills for players who just don't see their character in the new Shadow/Holy hybrid iteration?
Its a small question, but its been bugging me on my quest to get PvP transmogh gear, is Mark of Honor no longer in the game? I had won 6 Battle grounds last night and i did not not receive any Mark of honor, is it no longer a 100% drop any more or is there another way to get them?
Warlocks, (specifically Affliction and Destruction) seem undertuned. Many Warlocks are being kicked from heroics and being ignored by guilds due to their low damage. Are changes being looked at, or do you all think things will just get better with raid gear? If there are changes, do you have any ideas where the focus may be?

Are hidden artifact skins gated behind the Class Order Hall campaign? Is it only possible to begin getting drops (IE: The Eredar Supplicant dropping the Grimoire that allows an Affliction skin) after you have completed your Class Campaign?

Other than the state of Warlocks right now, I am absolutely loving everything of this expansion. You guys so far have outdone yourselves. (PS: I actually like the mechanic ideas of all three Warlock specs, I think consuming souls and randomly exploding damage of destro are great, I think we just need a few tweaks in numbers and maybe resource generation at best.)
Since any one ability could be tweaked to do a billion damage if the devs so desired, I'll ignore current damage output struggles in certain scenarios with regards to Warlocks.

My primary concerns are more in regards to the puzzling reasons for why certain decisions were made in regards to class fantasy, and contradictions with mechanics when compared to other classes and the supposed reasoning for believing they would be enjoyable to play with. Thus the three main questions I'd hope to have answered are as follows...

1. Why are the primary damage cooldowns for Warlocks the same across all three specs, and why do they also require a resource cost on top of their non-insignificant cooldown? In the expansion of supposed class fantasy and distinctiveness between specs, I can't think of even one other class that this contradiction applies to. Ignoring the perpetually yet to be solved problems with guardian pet a.i., why aren't they at least different demons, hell at the very least different skins if not functionality? Most egregiously, why must they cost a rotational resource to use? Try to follow the logic of this feature in its current form. A damage increasing cooldown's purpose is to temporarily increase damage output right? In the case of Warlock's, in order to activate their damage increasing cooldown, they must first lose potential damage output (the cost of a Soul Shard) in order to activate their damage increasing cooldown. Is this actually intended? More importantly, is this supposed to actually be fun?

2. Why is the baseline utility of Warlocks so lacking when compared to other specs of their same role? Their spell interrupt is tied to specific pets (Felhunter/Doomguard), in an expansion where it was stated the devs intention for each spec was to favor certain pets, and to ignore so would come at the cost of damage output. Summoning doesn't work in Mythic dungeons, nullifying one of the core utilities Warlock's supposedly provide. Healthstones are numerically worse than Health Potions, reducing their value to that of convenience over effectiveness or necessity, which in a competitive environment where balance matters renders them useless to the rest of the group. The only true baseline utilities are Soul Stones and Demonic Gateway, which is on a non-insignificant cooldown and who's debuff limiting its use shares with that of other Warlock gateways, reducing their effectiveness with each extra Warlock in the group. You can boil these issues down to "class fantasy" or reversing homogenization if you want, but in almost every one of these cases the result is simply frustration instead of enjoyment in what little unique utility you do offer.

3. Distinctive visual traits for each Warlock spec were removed from Warlocks and given to other classes. Demonology's Metamorphosis was obviously transferred to Demon Hunters, and Affliction's/Destruction's Verdant Spheres/being engulfed in flames while building resources were given to Mages. This isn't necessarily wrong if the dev team feels these visuals better fit the fantasy of those classes, but why weren't Warlock's then compensated with new flavorful visuals to maintain the aesthetic enjoyment of playing a Warlock? A purplish haze around a target signifying your dots isn't exactly impressive or all that noticeable, and outside of generic fire animations what does Destruction even have left that signifies it's "chaotic" fantasy? Especially when compared to the feeling you get as a Fire Mage when you activate Combustion, a visual effect Warlocks used to have? Isn't it understandable that it wouldn't be appreciated to feel the class is only losing distinctiveness without gaining something in return?

I know these questions didn't conform to the requested 40 word limit, but I felt to accurately state these issues the explanations had to be further detailed. Hopefully at least more condensed versions could be responded to. Thank you.
The loading screen bar in Legion, can it be green instead of blue? and if not why not?
I understand that your intention with warlocks was to make the Artifact weapon the thing that allowed warlocks to maximize their damage at the right times.

My question is this;
Will the artifact weapons be looked at, and the RNG become less of a factor?
Currently the soul shards being generated is a huge RNG game, Destro and Demo have reliable ways to generate soul shards and RNG ways. Affliction has a pure RNG way to generate soul shards(as well as a pure RNG for generating souls for their Artifact weapon, on a single target fight.)

Is there any plans to limit the RNG playstyle?
There have been times that I have gotten souls/soul shards repeatedly on a boss fight and done tremendous DPS, but most times I am very lackluster in my abilities.

You can... tl;dr that as you wish.
09/07/2016 09:40 AMPosted by Ayja
Let's just be clear here, Warlocks are NOT the only class with issues. Please do not go into the Q&A acting like they are.

Says the class that can do great damage with at least one of its dps specs!
Warcraft lore question here. What year does legion take place in? WoD was the year 31 and TBC was 26, but at the announcement blizz was '10 years ago' a lot. But I've also seen things that suggest that there wasn't a time skip of five years. A lot of people in the rp community are confused about this, so clarification would be nice
will you be addressing any of the valid points that warlocks have been expressing since Alpha?

i like my lock, been my main since BC, but i also want to contribute in group content, but that doesn't seem possible atm.

will there be changes to talents, mechanics and number tuning so that i will be accepted in group content? or do i need to switch to another class to perform dps? as a pure dps class warlock should be able to contribute meaningful damage. not asking to be OP, just competitive in the content you designed. ie, burst aoe and ST is important, without requiring talent/spec changes between trash and bosses. IF this was required by all dps classes, then it would be a level playing field, now it seems to be tilting alot.
What was the reasoning behind forcing warlocks to cast demonic empowerment after every demon cast as opposed to creating a better system with more meaningful interaction?

Why are some classes so heavily forced in to talents choices for different scenarios (AoE, Single Target, Cleave etc) to the point that their capability to perform other roles are so badly impacted. IE Warlocks have to take AoE talents to AoE at the loss of single target, but other classes can just easily pick talents that have no major impact on either rotation or their output.

With the increase to Warlock survivability do you intend for us to stand in mechanics now to finish casts in order to compete on DPS or should we just expect to get sat in mythic+ and mythic raids if an encounter is heavy movement?

Are there any plans to fix pet movement/attacking issues on certain fights like Naraxas in Neltharion's Lair?

Any thoughts on adding a CD for Warlocks to grants them soul shards to help with RNG and or alleviate the ramp up time?
09/07/2016 09:40 AMPosted by Ayja
Let's just be clear here, Warlocks are NOT the only class with issues. Please do not go into the Q&A acting like they are.

I think we're the only CLASS with these massive issues. There are several other specs with issues for sure, but we're a pure DPS class and all 3 specs are broken. We have nothing else we can do until Blizzard fixes us. At least other classes can change specs and roles.
1. Why is my survivability worse at lv 110 than it was at lv 100-109?

I rarely was in any danger of dying while leveling up while fighting 3-5 mobs but now with just 2 it seems like I'm always in danger of dying. I am not a fan of scaling zones.

2. Why are Nomi's success rates so horrible?

It's a huge waste of mats.

*Edit: Added 2nd question.
Can you share the secret rotation that Warlocks should be using to attain DPS numbers even remotely on par with other pure DPS specs, since none of us players including top raiders and people who have raided since classic can figure it out?

Am I just casting conflag at the wrong time?
Are survival hunters going to get reworked and are our pets going to get their own special abilities?
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline snare.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline stun.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline slow.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline escape.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be raids.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be in dungeons.
Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be in pvp.

Add in no baseline CC and you got hunters. Please do some research before making over arching statements. ATM, we bring nothing to groups either. We got a silence I suppose, but so does pretty much every class so that's not really a selling point.
Warlock? Now you speak.
Why are demonology warlocks so thrash?

• -No mobility
  • -No insta-cast spells (shadowflame is not an option)
  • -2 seconds cast time for dreadstalkers?
  • -Why does our imps, dreadstalkers and darkglare only last 12 seconds? THRASH
  • -imps? really? whe should be able to summon better things...
  • -Grimoire of service should allow us to have 2 pets active.. we are demo locks...
  • -why is demonic empowerment so garbage? make it a cd, not a spammeable thing..
  • -where is our wrathguard? our pit lord?
  • 09/07/2016 10:56 AMPosted by Shiross
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline snare.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline stun.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline slow.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a baseline escape.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be raids.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be in dungeons.
    Warlocks are the only pure DPS class in the game without a need to be in pvp.

Add in no baseline CC and you got hunters. Please do some research before making over arching statements. ATM, we bring nothing to groups either. We got a silence I suppose, but so does pretty much every class so that's not really a selling point.

Feel free to make suggestions about your own class vs. harassing other people trying to make suggestions about their class.