Help - What Server Do I Play?

New Player Help and Guides
Hello,

I am new to WoW. I spent my 1st day on Dalaran, but realized how extremely crowded it is, and that it has no cross-realm compatibility. I feel isolated despite the overwhelming amount of players (600,000+). Anyways... could I ask for recommendations? Here are some factors to consider in your recommendations!

1.) I play for the Alliance
2.) I LOVE the concept of Dungeons & Raiding
3.) I do not know how to PvP, but it does interest me
4.) If I play PvP I do not want to encounter enemies, and/or die 24/7, I am a newb!
5.) I want a medium - high population server that will never be too full for me to play, but also has many Alliance players to play with

Please help me! I am open to Normal OR PvP recommendations. Please elaborate WHY you chose the server you did. I truly appreciate it :D
Hi Koneli,

Welcome to World of Warcraft, first of all! Finding a realm can be difficult as there are a lot of various considerations that need to be taken. One thing which you already have done, however, is managed to know what YOU want, which is big when determining a realm.

When I was having the same problem a while ago, especially when determining where to place my small guild, it took a little while to find the right one, but I finally found Alexstraza, and have fallen in love with it.

Here's why:
    1. It is a normal PvE realm.
    2. It is a medium sized server, tied to Terokkar, primarily being Alliance. It has a total of about 240k players, with about 170k being Alliance.
    3. There is a good amount of people playing at different times, so it's pretty easy to find groups to be with, farm mats when you need it to be clear, and so on.

Feel free to add me at Extravegant #1534 if you need help with anything.
09/12/2016 01:59 PMPosted by ßelnor
Hi Koneli,

Welcome to World of Warcraft, first of all! Finding a realm can be difficult as there are a lot of various considerations that need to be taken. One thing which you already have done, however, is managed to know what YOU want, which is big when determining a realm.

When I was having the same problem a while ago, especially when determining where to place my small guild, it took a little while to find the right one, but I finally found Alexstraza, and have fallen in love with it.

Here's why:
    1. It is a normal PvE realm.
    2. It is a medium sized server, tied to Terokkar, primarily being Alliance. It has a total of about 240k players, with about 170k being Alliance.
    3. There is a good amount of people playing at different times, so it's pretty easy to find groups to be with, farm mats when you need it to be clear, and so on.

Feel free to add me at Extravegant #1534 if you need help with anything.

Cheers Belnor,

I truly appreciate this wonderful response. I will surely keep Alexstrasa in mind! I actually would love the opportunity to add your Battle-Tag after I am done making dinner. I have questions, and you seem kind enough to answer.

Anyone else with more brilliant recommendations, please do so! This question is still to be determined ^-^
You can opt in to PvP even if playing on a PvE server. So, you can still enjoy PvP from time to time on a PvE server without having to worry about it 24/7. From what you've said, it looks like you probably want to stick to PvE options. (Or possibly RP if you think you might want to try that out some day. You don't have to be an active RPer to roll on a RP server, you just need to be respectful of those who RP.)

I haven't played Alliance for a while, so I'm afraid I don't really have any recommendations there.
Thank you Udiza. This does help me as well.

I'll add this to my notes:
I do not enjoy role play, however, I do not disrespect those who choose to do so. It simply is not my thing. That said, I would disregard RP servers to let them be populated by those who truly have a passion for their hobby.
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Americas_region_realm_list_by_datacenter

This site displays all realms with their location and timezone. If your internet is meh you will probably want to pick a realm on te data center closer to you. Either LA or Chicago for most people.

From there, is timezone a factor for you? It may determine the schedule for your guild activities, though that's not really something you can figure out beforehand. If you play very late you may want an earlier timezone , or if you play very early you may want a later one (or even an oceanic realm if you're nocturnal )

From there I would recommend PvE type realm. PvP is force flagged across the world and that's gonna be harsh.

So if you want med-high pve for alliance,

The two largest are Stormrage (Chicago, ET) and Proudmoore (LA, PT)
Dalaran (Chicago, ET) and Lightbringer (LA, PT) are a bit smaller than these

Dalaran and Proudmoore are both highly recommended for Ally players
09/12/2016 02:52 PMPosted by Scutshakes
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Americas_region_realm_list_by_datacenter

This site displays all realms with their location and timezone. If your internet is meh you will probably want to pick a realm on te data center closer to you. Either LA or Chicago for most people.

From there, is timezone a factor for you? It may determine the schedule for your guild activities, though that's not really something you can figure out beforehand. If you play very late you may want an earlier timezone , or if you play very early you may want a later one (or even an oceanic realm if you're nocturnal )

From there I would recommend PvE type realm. PvP is force flagged across the world and that's gonna be harsh.

So if you want med-high pve for alliance,

The two largest are Stormrage (Chicago, ET) and Proudmoore (LA, PT)
Dalaran (Chicago, ET) and Lightbringer (LA, PT) are a bit smaller than these

Dalaran and Proudmoore are both highly recommended for Ally players

I am Eastern Time EDT (USA & Canada). I have shifting schedules due to extreme sleep issues. So finding a guild, or activities for that matter shouldn't be too difficult.

I started on Dalaran, but this server is MASSIVE. A little too much so. I was asking a mate about Proudmoore, and they began bombarding me with gay memes. As in, apparently many people take the server as a gay pride joke. I have nothing against those communities, but like Roleplay, if that is what the server is known for I would leave Proudmoore to their respected community. That or my mate was full of it.

Currently I am leaning on Alexstasza, but I DO have my other mage on Lightbringer... I'm still undecided what to do.
Also, regarding PvP worlds... It does sound fun, but as a newb I have the fear that high level players will storm low-medium level questing grounds to bully me for pure amusement. I would never be allowed to actually play the game without someone taking all the fun out of it. Or is it more tame?
09/12/2016 03:00 PMPosted by Koneli
I started on Dalaran, but this server is MASSIVE. A little too much so.

Keep in mind that most of the world is cross-realm enabled, which means players from a variety of realms will see each other. They will be marked with an * at the end of their name.

No matter what realm you pick, it's going to be like that, so if you're in an area with a ton of people and it's filled with asterisks, moving to a new realm isn't guaranteed to help that.

What a population does determine is your auction house and your guilds, mainly. But also current expansion zones are cross-realm disabled until later into the life cycle

09/12/2016 03:00 PMPosted by Koneli
I was asking a mate about Proudmoore, and they began bombarding me with gay memes. As in, apparently many people take the server as a gay pride joke. I have nothing against those communities, but like Roleplay, if that is what the server is known for I would leave Proudmoore to their respected community. That or my mate was full of it.

I've heard about it vaguely on the forums a couple of times. I have a toon on Proudmoore and have not really experienced anything special about it. Generally your guild is your company, and guilds are different.

09/12/2016 03:01 PMPosted by Koneli
as a newb I have the fear that high level players will storm low-medium level questing grounds to bully me for pure amusement. I would never be allowed to actually play the game without someone taking all the fun out of it. Or is it more tame?

That's a pretty common complaint. There's not much magic or fun in random encounters, rarely will there be a balanced one. The real PVP is in instanced PVP, like battlegrounds and arenas.