Why no Orc/Draenei Demon Hunters?

Story Forum
09/14/2016 01:40 PMPosted by Shiwu
Giving legitimate reasons for why it wouldn't work lorewise isn't being negative.

I'm going to make a bold statement here, but, there hasn't been a legitimate reason given yet. Lore wise or otherwise.
Not gonna lie... I kinda want other races as demon hunters just because of the new animations and metamorphosis forms we'd have to get.

Orc metamorphosis? Sign me up. Red orcs? Sign me up.
Illidan had plenty of fel magic users among his Illidari. The Demon Hunters were Illidan's extension of his perceived strengths. He viewed his own state as one perfectly suited to hunting demons, and sought to create more soldiers like himself. Combine an aptitude for magic in all its forms, cunning, intelligence, dexterity, agility, ferocity, and a bone to pick with Sargeras; a unique mix of strictly elven traits.

The Draenei are no longer Eredar. They have culturally been alongside the Naaru for ages. Any of wavering faith would have joined Kil'Jaeden and Archimonde or left during one of the many hundreds of clashes between themselves and the Legion. The Draenei are a very old society. All that's left are the most iron of resolve in the Light. They don't want to use fel magic to oppose the Legion. They'd see it as an unnecessary violation of the faith that has allowed them to withstand the Legion for so long.

Orcs, on the other hand, are simply lacking many of the requirements. Orcs can be surprisingly guile in combat, but still bring far more brute force than grace and far more rage than cunning. They also lack the trademark magical prowess of the elves. Orcs are a shamanistic culture of hunters and warriors. Elves were a magocracy. And, again, Illidan views his Demon Hunters as an extension of himself. He had no reason to recruit orcs. Same reason he didn't recruit naga or broken Demon Hunters.

Anyone is free to study fel magic and use it against the Legion. Demon Hunters are not melee warlocks. They are specifically Illidan's disciples. Illidan's elves. They were his attempt to reform what greatness he saw in his people before they cast him out.
09/14/2016 01:51 PMPosted by Syegfryed
two words: death knights

There's a reason why you can't play as a Pandaren Deathknight and why you can't play as Worgen or Goblin monks. One is because there's so few of them to the point where we've only ever seen one of them and the other is the same reason why other races being Demon Hunters wouldn't work, continuity issues.

As far as Worgen and Goblin Death Knights go, the worgen DKs aren't from Gilneas and the Goblin DKs were never a lore issue to begin with considering that there were plenty of Goblins around that the Lich King could have raised.

09/14/2016 01:51 PMPosted by Syegfryed
again, the devs already said DH maybe will train others races in the future, if they want, they will make works, and nothing of "legitimate shenanigans to be exclusive" will matter in the end of the day

Whatever dude, if you want to ignore the reasons why it probably won't happen be my guest. I'm done talking to a brick wall.

However, I will leave you with one thing to think on. Blizzard saying "Maybe it could happen" doesn't really mean much when you look at all the things that they've said maybe to and then have never done.
09/14/2016 01:57 PMPosted by Gibbet
I'm going to make a bold statement here, but, there hasn't been a legitimate reason given yet. Lore wise or otherwise.

So apparently "They don't exist" isn't a good enough reason? I take it that putting any other Demon Hunter in the DH starting experience would completely break the lore isn't a good enough reason for you either?

People have already given lore reasons for why it couldn't/shouldn't happen (Continuity issues, the fact that only Elf Demon Hunters have ever existed, ect). You on the other hand haven't stated a legitimate lore reason for why it could/should.
I think there may actually be a lore reason. Illidan has incorporated orcs into his Illidari army. But when orcs feed on demons they just become fel orcs. And Illidan ihad incorporated them to the point that he was intentionally creating fel orcs. I think fel just affects orcs more violently than it does elves. Those that don't have enough fel to become demonic are already in game as green orcs.

Possible future class is fel orc. Which is just an orc that feeds on demonic power the way a DH does. But the archtype is a lot different. They are not graceful or smooth like the DH's we know. The ones that start as elves. They are brutal and savage. Because they are orcs.
09/14/2016 02:27 PMPosted by Jacksprat
But when orcs feed on demons they just become fel orcs.

its only when they drink a pit lord blood they become fel orcs, yet, there are fel orcs, who have big mutations and are still conscientious, and not salvage brutish fools
09/14/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Syegfryed
But when orcs feed on demons they just become fel orcs.

its only when they drink a pit lord blood they become fel orcs, yet, there are fel orcs, who have big mutations and are still conscientious, and not salvage brutish fools

That's my point. They are still savage and brutish. even when conscious. They wouldn't be the DH's we know. They'd be conscious fel orcs. That's what fel does to orcs. Orcs are just highly susceptible to mutation with fel. We see them turn Green with just prolonged proximity.
I think there may actually be a lore reason. Illidan has incorporated orcs into his Illidari army. But when orcs feed on demons they just become fel orcs. And Illidan ihad incorporated them to the point that he was intentionally creating fel orcs. I think fel just affects orcs more violently than it does elves. Those that don't have enough fel to become demonic are already in game as green orcs.

Possible future class is fel orc. Which is just an orc that feeds on demonic power the way a DH does. But the archtype is a lot different. They are not graceful or smooth like the DH's we know. The ones that start as elves. They are brutal and savage. Because they are orcs.

While an Orc Demon Hunter couldn't be a thing due to Illidan only ever training Elves, I do find the idea of a fel infused Orc warrior interesting as a playable concept. I don't think they'd incorporate it due to the fact that it would be too similar to a Warrior and DH, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.
When you recruit Mother Melevolance into the Illidari she is quite honored and surprised to be lifted up from being a "servant" and be asked to join the Illidari. I was actually pretty surprised at how moved she was.

I think all of the broken, naga, orcs, and shivara who serve Illidan were an army, but the Illidari are special forces and until this point in the story, they are all elves.
09/14/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Shiwu

While an Orc Demon Hunter couldn't be a thing due to Illidan only ever training Elves, I do find the idea of a fel infused Orc warrior interesting as a playable concept. I don't think they'd incorporate it due to the fact that it would be too similar to a Warrior and DH, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

It definitely would be interesting. But that's a good point. It would be real close to a warrior. They don't seem to gain any alternate powers beyond just enhancing what they already have. So, possible future orc skin? Who knows.
09/14/2016 02:14 PMPosted by Shiwu
So apparently "They don't exist" isn't a good enough reason?

Now that you mention it no. Retcons occur, the story advances forward, and the timeline for Warcraft has always been mutable. We take quests from the third warchief, who sends us up to Northrend where we serve at the pleasure of the second warchief when he was just a field commander working as the right hand of the first warchief.

But you can't even say "they don't exist." All you can say is "we haven't seen one yet."

I take it that putting any other Demon Hunter in the DH starting experience would completely break the lore isn't a good enough reason for you either?

This hasn't been established. If you could establish this, rather than simply assert it, you'd have a point. But that's sort of what I'm saying already. Many people are claiming that it would break the lore, but their reasons for making such a dramatic claim fall apart under even the most basic review.

People have already given lore reasons for why it couldn't/shouldn't happen (Continuity issues, the fact that only Elf Demon Hunters have ever existed, ect).

I think you just showed that nobody has established it couldn't happen. And whether it should happen is not the discussion that's occuring, as much as you may want to merge them into the same topic. And normally I'd just shrug and move on since what you believe doesn't matter. Except people are so smug and aggressive with their ignorance. "Get over it?" Really, you think that's constructive?

Hell, even your post here is reliant on histrionics. You said it's going to "completely break the lore?" As in pack up the kiddies and lets all start playing Warhammer Online because it turns out somewhere in the over a decade that Illidan was left to his own devices in Outland he recruited a few orcs, draenei, forsaken or humans and now the lore is completely broken! This is a post you feel stands as a legitimate reason that it wouldn't work?
If an already dead Forsaken can be raised as a death knight, I don't see why someday other races who are demon hunters can't pop up.

The Illidari are recruiting.

See the world in a whole new way!*

Fight the Legion!

Defend Azeroth!

(*Eyes will be gouged out upon recruitment.)
Blizzard said point blank the only reason Demon hunters are elf only is so everyone can cosplay as Illidan. They also said it would be extremely hard to keep it elf only going forwards, and in all likelihood we could see more options as soon as the next expansion.

And as for lore:
We can justify any race combo we want. Some may be a bit of a stretch, like Tauren rogues, but if we want them in they are going in.
09/14/2016 04:02 PMPosted by Xilexa
If an already dead Forsaken can be raised as a death knight, I don't see why someday other races who are demon hunters can't pop up.

The Illidari are recruiting.

See the world in a whole new way!*

Fight the Legion!

Defend Azeroth!

(*Eyes will be gouged out upon recruitment.)

The starting experience takes place during a time when only elves were Demon Hunters. The Illidan novel made it pretty clear that no other race but elves were trained to be Demon Hunters at that point.

There's a reason why you only see elves in the Harbingers video.

This hasn't been established.

The Illidan novel says otherwise.
I prefer the Hemet Nesingwary method of hunting demons, in any case.
It's not really as much of a lore thing as a design restriction thing.

They wanted to limit the races to spend more time on male/female meta forms.
I know the starting expreeience now does. But, in the future other races could have s seperate starting experience should they go that rout.