Flying (I know, just hear me out)

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 Next
09/15/2016 10:43 PMPosted by Plaguelord
Really confused why people think removal (or severe gating) of flying is such a great thing.
The best I've been able to ascertain, is that it makes things more like vanilla.

It's nice to have a period where you can explore on foot, an appreciate the world, without feeling like you're at a disadvantage for doing so. As soon as flying becomes an option, sightseeing becomes a lot more inefficient.

The topics been done time and time again, but I like the pathfinder achievement as a solution to both sides of the flying mount debate. It's BoA. Do your time, and you'll get to fly around and ignore the MMO aspect in the world soon enough
09/15/2016 10:55 PMPosted by Plaguelord
I'll ask all of you, who're so vehemently opposed to flying...

What is gained by not making flying available with a gold purchase?
What does that add to the enjoyment of the game?

Nothing.

It just buys time for the level designers to add all the details you can see from the air, while free-flying.
Who's opposed to flying at all, let alone vehemently?
I love flying. I'm just not opposed to gating it behind a Pathfinder achievement.
09/15/2016 10:40 PMPosted by Mcbobbins
Flying also makes things faster, so content gets consumed faster, players are bored sooner, subs are dropped earlier than desired.

WoD didn't have flying and it basically holds the record for most subs lost.
The bottom line OP, is that Blizzard has gotten lazy and made so many bad design decisions that they are barely recovering from it. They managed to redeem themselves a tiny tiny bit with legion. But truth is, they have failed time and time again because they are lazy. Cataclysm was their last (semi) decent expac. MoP and WoD were complete garbage. I think there was like ONE guy that admitted they made design mistakes with WoD, yet we are seeing some of the same mistakes in Legion.

They have gotten lazy, they wont admit that, but its the truth.
09/15/2016 10:23 PMPosted by Plaguelord
No one should be forced to do content they aren't even remotely interested in, to get something they want.
I would rather be funneled into content that I don't care for that results in gaining flying than to have to shell out 4000+ gold on EVERY character that I want to have flying on. I know I'll be downvoted because "oh noes, someone actually likes not spending gold to fly"...
09/15/2016 11:20 PMPosted by Cantz
No it does, you are comparing a price we set on the AH to a price that doesn't change. I told you how they aren't even the same thing, apples and oranges.

They are essentially the same thing, a ground mount that costs a huge amount of money.

And both are 100% irrelevant to the discussion about flight. The price of flying training has never been tied to the cost of ground mounts.

Flying in WotLK cost 1k when the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth cost 20k. Flying in MoP cost 2.5k when the Grand Expedition Yak cost 120k.

So even if flying were somehow tied to the cost of a ground mount, it would still be somewhere between 2-5% of the cost of said ground mount. So using information from previous expansions and the cost of the Bloodfang Cocoon, we could expect a cost between 40k and 100k.
And I'd like to add that I like the idea of Pathfinder, but I don't like the idea of having to wait on however many parts until they finally decide to allow us to fly.
09/19/2016 01:45 AMPosted by Amarû
Really confused why people think removal (or severe gating) of flying is such a great thing.
The best I've been able to ascertain, is that it makes things more like vanilla.

It's nice to have a period where you can explore on foot, an appreciate the world, without feeling like you're at a disadvantage for doing so. As soon as flying becomes an option, sightseeing becomes a lot more inefficient.

The topics been done time and time again, but I like the pathfinder achievement as a solution to both sides of the flying mount debate. It's BoA. Do your time, and you'll get to fly around and ignore the MMO aspect in the world soon enough

Flying doesn't stop you from doing that. Do that anytime you want.
09/19/2016 01:47 AMPosted by Teufelgott
09/15/2016 10:55 PMPosted by Plaguelord
I'll ask all of you, who're so vehemently opposed to flying...

What is gained by not making flying available with a gold purchase?
What does that add to the enjoyment of the game?

Nothing.

It just buys time for the level designers to add all the details you can see from the air, while free-flying.
Who's opposed to flying at all, let alone vehemently?
I love flying. I'm just not opposed to gating it behind a Pathfinder achievement.

Esp those ridiculous WoD Pathfinder. Unlock all the flight paths and you should be able to fly. You know, fly the mounts you purchased. From Blizzard.
09/19/2016 02:35 AMPosted by Sintestra
No one should be forced to do content they aren't even remotely interested in, to get something they want.
I would rather be funneled into content that I don't care for that results in gaining flying than to have to shell out 4000+ gold on EVERY character that I want to have flying on. I know I'll be downvoted because "oh noes, someone actually likes not spending gold to fly"...

So who does it hurt if people who want to pay have that option to do so and you can do pathfinder if you wish.
09/19/2016 01:45 AMPosted by Amarû

Doing your time is getting to the level cap. After that gold cost. I can accept lore master and exploration but the rest? No. Not accepting that.

This topic will never end.
I'll never understand why people get so crazy about flying, I mean, I'd love to have flying back but just reading through these threads really confuses me with how angry people get about it.
It honestly makes me want it less
My concern is this, why are you so stuck on wanting to just fly right pass beautiful content and miss the great opportunity's of wpvp and helping other players in need of help. I find a mmo is about it's community/social/exploring etc. I hope flying doesn't come out intill late late in the xpack. It's good for once you have done nearly all the content I guess. I personally wished it was never a thing.
09/19/2016 05:03 AMPosted by Vengz
My concern is this, why are you so stuck on wanting to just fly right pass beautiful content and miss the great opportunity's of wpvp and helping other players in need of help. I find a mmo is about it's community/social/exploring etc. I hope flying doesn't come out intill late late in the xpack. It's good for once you have done nearly all the content I guess. I personally wished it was never a thing.

For one, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Two, not everyone gives a tinker's damn about world pvp.

Three, for social interaction you have guilds. You also have zone chat channels for people to use to find help.
Nothing would make me happier than the see a blue post on this...

Why has flying, which used to be a source of inspiration for Blizzard zone designers, become something that's treated as a dirty word?

Look at some of the most memorable zones WoW has ever had. Storm Peak for example, demanded flying to access the mysteries it held. It wasn't all about content. It was legitimately about mysteries.
I can remember finding the Titan machine, hidden as a hole in the side of a cliff, and exploring it with total fascination.
I remember something similar in Hellfire Peninsula. I remember seeing the floating islands above me while leveling, and wanting to know what was up there.

The bottom line is this...
There are two ways flying can be used. It can be used as a spoiler for every zone in an expansion (Cataclysm), or it can be used as a creative gate for high level content, and a source of intrigue, like in WotLK.

Why, in the name of god, has Blizzard intentionally chose to make it the former, rather than the latter?

I know there's an achieve to unlock flying...the thing is, last expansion, you were required to do a ton of content that NO ONE wanted to do. No one should be forced to do content they aren't even remotely interested in, to get something they want.
I've played since vanilla, and even I think the grind to get flying in WoD was cruel.
What it feels like, to many players, is that this is an effort to procrastinate having to add details to zones, that flying demands.

Great Post!

The pathfinder "part one" achievement is ridiculous in and of itself. And there is going to be even more requirements to get flying!

Blizzard is making the best feature of the game-flight-and putting it behind a wall of work that is going to be very, very hard for all but the most hard core folks to achieve.

Why?????

Flight is a lot of fun and should be available ASAP!
09/19/2016 05:03 AMPosted by Vengz

I'm on a pve server so there is no world pvp.

And I can swoop down from flight to help others.
I wish flying was never added to this game.
09/16/2016 11:41 PMPosted by Lyánna
Mounts ≠ Flying Skill Levels, like a Prius ≠ Driver's License.

Driver's License allows me to fly IRL, got it.

09/16/2016 11:41 PMPosted by Lyánna
I'm not going to not get a Driver's License and not drive just because I can't afford a super expensive car.

Who is new here? We were using it as a comparison to WotLK, where the gold sink mount back then was the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth which was 18k.

This is Azeroth, not Earth, hence why we don't have to pay registration or insurance for any of our mounts. If you want to use real world comparisons, go look up the prices required for a Private Pilot License(Not sure what it would be called in USA.)
09/15/2016 10:37 PMPosted by Feyyras

You are writing a post like you speak for everyone. You're not even speaking for the majority. Flying will come much earlier this expansion. You'll survive.

You have that backwards and the rating of your post plus the number disagreeing with you and the sheer volume of flying threads shows that YOU are in the minority. Judging from the number of unsubs after WoD, including myself, we know exactly how tiny that minority is.

I have ten characters and have been playing since late vanilla. I skipped WoD because of flying. If flying isn't IN THE GAME by the time I finish Pathfinder one I am out of here.
I'll post here. Flying is what made me do the quests on my alts in world of Draenor. Flying makes things fun. The sooner they introduce flying here the sooner it will be better. And it's already really good expansion. Except the PVP.