Artifact knowledge should be per account

General Discussion
Eventually, at least. (dang 45 character limit)

Artifact knowledge, for those of you that aren't aware, is time based buff you get that you put work orders in at your class order hall. It buffs your characters rate of obtaining artifact power.

I found myself tonight wanting to level my shaman as a second healer to run arenas and BGs with. I've always enjoyed leveling toons and such but I just feel like it'll be tough grinding the power needed to be competitive on two toons without the artifact knowledge buff applying to both of them.

This doesn't necessarily need to be something put in with patch 7.1, although it'd be really nice, but just something that should be considered eventually to alleviate the grind for us altoholics that have an army of characters.

I'm glad Legion is going to be able to break me of that, mostly, and focus on one (maybe two with the shammy) toon(s), but I'd still like to have the alts stuff progressing a bit faster when I decide to get around to them.
I agree, it should be the highest level that any 1 character on your account has researched.
Some degree of shared artifact knowledge (maybe not one-to-one, but some sort of boost) would be welcome. There's so much progress to catch up on with even a single alt, it can be pretty daunting. Something to acknowledge progress you've already made and encourage you to diversify characters wouldn't be out of line.
I'd prefer account based rep honestly.
Definitely.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749315253#post-1

Thank you for posting on my forum as well. I truly appreciate you making your own thread to bring more awareness to the situation.
I personally think the artifact system is retarded altogether and is basically an excuse to make you grind. What's the point if you eventually unlock everything? After contracting stage 4 cancer of course. It might as well be a talent tree, save us from the aids.
09/21/2016 09:54 PMPosted by Yiying
I'd prefer account based rep honestly.
Amen to that, At the very least for Reputations that are not expansion-current

The rep boost system MOP had was nice too.
I don't agree.

For the main reason, is one of two reasons.

A: You will never run artifact research on your alternate characters then, and therefore a entire part of the vibe of learning about your artifact over time is destroyed, because you'll either not get any of the lore of that weapon, or just get all of it without doing anything. (This part is nitpicky, but it's still a reason.)

Or:

B: People would just do artifact research on all their characters, and hit max rank in mere days, and have all their artifact weapons maxed out in a week. Thus obliterating the entire point.

---

A better solution I think is that your alts should have their research time reduced by a set amount for every rank your highest research rank is over their current.

For instance, I hit Rank 4 Research on my main, my alternate characters who start their research trying to get ranks 1 through 3, should find getting these ranks in a shorter amount of time, all the way up until the point they catch up with the research level of my main.

It's a good way to allow for alts to catch up to your highest level character, without imposing a possible major imbalance to the artifact system.

As it stands, I do agree that researching your artifact on alternate characters is very difficult. I haven't even hit my second level 110 yet, but knowing that it's going to take 2 days just for them to get the 25% increased AP when I'm at 140% on my main feels pretty discouraging to trying to catch up.

However, if for rank 1 it only took me 12 hours instead of 2 days, and rank 2 was only 1 day, rank 3 being 36 hours instead of 48, I think that would make catching up more reasonable. (The numbers above are rough estimates, open for interpretation. )
09/21/2016 10:12 PMPosted by Nyaria

A better solution I think is that your alts should have their research time reduced by a set amount for every rank your highest research rank is over their current.

[/quote]

I think this is how the system works already. Though I think the intention was to help people who come into legion late catch up, the same applies to alts.
09/21/2016 10:18 PMPosted by Cig
09/21/2016 10:12 PMPosted by Nyaria

I think this is how the system works already. Though I think the intention was to help people who come into legion late catch up, the same applies to alts.[/quote]

If that's how it works, and i totally missed it, then that's my fault for not having second 110, I was told that you had to basically do everything from scratch each character, I was unaware of the research time reduction.

In that case, I'm pretty content with that.

The first part of my post still stands somewhat though, I don't like the idea of the ranks being shared for everyone, it could cause problems.
It's similar, but the catch-up mechanism isn't dependent on your other characters. As far as I can tell, the catch up mechanic is based on the total time the expansion has been out. I leveled a Monk to 110 a little under two weeks after launch and his first Artifact Knowledge rank only took three days instead of five, with the second one being four days to unlock.

It looks like your research speeds up a day for every rank you're behind from the maximum. So my Monk was ten days or so "behind schedule", or two Knowledge ranks behind, and so he got two days off his first order.

Personally, I'd like to see this sped up a bit more as anyone who's coming in late or leveling an alt isn't just behind in Artifact Knowledge, but it missing out on days of Artifact Power rewards from daily dungeons and world quests. But it's not terrible right now. They might add more catch-up mechanisms in future patches.
09/21/2016 10:22 PMPosted by Nyaria
If that's how it works, and i totally missed it, then that's my fault for not having second 110, I was told that you had to basically do everything from scratch each character, I was unaware of the research time reduction.

My first 110 is doing five day research cycles. My second 110 started with four day cycles. My third 110 is still on four day cycles, I believe, but it may have dropped to three days.