"Legion is designed for ground mounts"

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 13 Next
It's almost as if they designed things for demon hunters to glide around from place to place. Seriously, questing with a demon hunter makes all of the falling turn into gliding effortlessly to the ground. A lot of world quests are within gliding distance from a lot of flight points. Some even cross zones but are way quicker than being on a ground mount.
09/30/2016 07:35 AMPosted by Ànyîng
09/29/2016 08:23 PMPosted by Caerbannog
the flight whistle

When one of the most frequently touted "you don't need flight" features is a whistle that lets you literally SKIP EVERYTHING between you and the AFK Taxi, that indicates there's an issue with the ground travel design.

09/29/2016 08:28 PMPosted by Venovel
It isn't even just mountains and ravines; there's more impeding roots, branches, rocks, and random fences than you can shake a stick at. I think I'd rather shake a flame-thrower at most of 'em, though.

Nothing is more immersive than racing along on your not-flying mount, suddenly stopping in mid-gallop, and realizing you're stuck on a bit of trash poking up from the road, or a random 6" tall fence post.

love this post +1
09/29/2016 07:36 PMPosted by Akuza
Uhm what?

Well, I think Blizzard's words are entirely true, by preventing flying for the active life of the expansion, like they engineered with WOD, they were able to build hugely convoluted zones that take ages to get anywhere simply as a means to drag out the content and make the rep/gear grinds even more obnoxious than they would be in the types of zones we had for 12 years.

Yes, a few previous zones were annoying .. Storm Peaks bears a passing similarity to Highmountain in parts .. but Highmountain and Stormheim are a new low in cynical world construction.

And to those that say "I enjoy exploring them", good for you, my being allowed to fly wouldn't prevent you choosing not to for the lolexploration factor.
They were designed for ground travel, just not efficient or timely ground travel.

They were also clearly designed to expend as much player time as possible by having us do absolutely nothing but run in circles for large chunks of time just to pad out the content.

Does it work? Well for some of us it doesn't since it is so obvious, but for others, maybe it does.

Only time will tell if the design works well for Blizzard's bottom line.
09/30/2016 10:14 AMPosted by Qtafyrse
It's almost as if they designed things for demon hunters to glide around from place to place. Seriously, questing with a demon hunter makes all of the falling turn into gliding effortlessly to the ground. A lot of world quests are within gliding distance from a lot of flight points. Some even cross zones but are way quicker than being on a ground mount.

I was thinking that last night as I glided across a huge section of Stormhelm to get from flight path to WQ area. And thinking this was so much easier than doing it on a non-DH.
I like some terrain. If you want kansas like maps go find another game. ...monopoly is fairly flat...go try that out.

Once you grab all the flight paths it is fairly easy to navigate. I farm....alot and I am not finding things that difficult. Perhaps complicated things like up and down are not your forte.
The zones feel more realistic, they should have mountain and valleys, and guess what they're all easily navigated on ground mount, i swear 90% of players these days would never find their way into silithus if it weren't for flying mounts. The game is better off with out flying, flying trivializes everything, world quests would take less than an hour to clear, it removes mechanics like the grappling hook in stormheim.

In short there are 2 types of gamers in the world, the kind that uses fast travel in elder scrolls and the type that doesn't, guess which group is crying for flying.
Bull!@#$ thread.
I've gotten stuck in terrain more in Legion than the content in every other expansion so far.

I misjumped in an area behind a house in Val'Sharah and ended up in a ditch that was roughly \/ in shape. Couldn't get out for the life of me, couldn't mount up, couldn't do anything but hearth.

Stuff like that has happened three or four times so far, just random pitfalls in inconspicuous places that make it impossible to get out of. Emerald Winds doesn't help me in these situations either, but being able to get onto a flying mount and hop out would have saved me a lot of time instead of having to hearth and run back.
Agree with the title. Don't agree with OP. I have had no problems getting around BI on ground mount. Even though i love flying and it's ease, I can appreciate the new zones a lot more since Im down in the dirt.

Have had no problems finding any quest in BI. I run into more chances for wpvp (I dont personally enjoy pvp all that much but the times when Im getting ganked and I actually win, it makes my day) and definitely deal with aggroing the local wildlife (more chances to loot those oh so popular legendaries)

If you want to traverse BI and get from one zone to another without flying, then no complaints of how far you have to go. Open your map, plot a course, and adjust where needed. A - B running is not as interesting as A - B - oh wait C - wow whats that there? - okay now to B.

My body is ready for downvotes and flames. Bring it >:D
09/29/2016 08:00 PMPosted by Cosah
screw highmountain really.

I've been begging for a Tauren themed zone forever.

It's my fault, you guys, I shouldn't have done this to you.
09/29/2016 10:51 PMPosted by Astriel
Apparently the concept of exploration is dead on these forums.

Nahh, I love exploring. I was thirlled when I could finally fly in Draeneor and explore properly.
God forbid you have to *gasp* explore.

Did that and have the achieve for all zones.

It adds exploration to the game and gut punches the mind numbing "go towards next dot" gameplay.

Yet after finding said place, after going there and coming back, it STILL isnt on the map..so if you have to go back there, you do it all over again. Once youve been there it should show up..dont you think?

For one quest, i found I actually had a use for far sight.

Warlocks have far sight? Hey..news to me...

This is what is referred to as dynamics; when mechanics combine to create novel gameplay.

"Novel"? Thats a polite term for it...

The game needs to slow us down

Which is why we cant fly for so long. Content extension.

What other MMO can you freely fly in? None.

EQ2

FF 14

No mans Sky

Star Citizen

Fjarnskaggl doesn't even get a special event.

Yes it does. Was two days ago..whoops looks like I did more exploring than you.

Yeah, why aren't you WoWheading it by then? If I can't figure something out in around 5ish minutes I will likely WoWhead it if I need it.

Why am I using a third party website to solve a puzzle inside the game because the map is wrong? Why am i going to WOWhead to be told that the quest turn in point is wrong, is bugged and was never fixed?

Why is the map telling me to go to a shop in Dalaran to save a wounded man when said man is in fact in Aszuna?

Exploring can be amazingly fun and interesting,

See point one.
Can I be honest? I'd not mind at all taking my time in learning the geography of Legion... but there are so many things I should be doing in order to relax and say to myself: "there, I've done all I can do to progress my artifact today, and gathered resources for our upcoming raids", that anything that isn't a straight line between me and the objective is stressing me out!

It's a shame. I would love Suramar... if it wasn't costing me time I don't perceive I have. >.<

I long for that moment when I pay down my 1st point in the sheer ilvl boost in my artifact. It's right around then that I think I can start to see if I enjoy Legion. <lol>
Graveyards need to have their logic redesigned. They are far and few between and if I'm passing 2 graveyards on the way back to my body because I died inside a cave on the other side of a mountain, something is wrong. I've had 3 notable times where I've died this expansion where I literally had to run around the base of a mountain, up the side of it, drop partway down or run inside and then locate my body. It shouldn't take upwards of 5 minutes just to reach my corpse.
To be specific, my last death was inside a cave in Crimson Thicket, Suramar. My ghost was placed at Tel'Anor, where I passed 2 graveyards that were directly in my path on the way back to my body.

...And now I've died again. I quit.
09/30/2016 05:54 PMPosted by Neromius
Graveyards need to have their logic redesigned. They are far and few between and if I'm passing 2 graveyards on the way back to my body because I died inside a cave on the other side of a mountain, something is wrong

I think they took away ghost flight, ghost speed boost and made corpse runs as time consuming as possible just as a means of adding another time sink.
09/29/2016 07:55 PMPosted by Aehl
Literally 1-2 minutes MAX to go from one end of a zone to the other.

Timed it...more like 10-15 minutes. More.

This. I can't imagine what life would be like as a non paladin. I use bubble so much when I'm in highmountain or Stormheim just because I don't want to waste 10 minutes running around from one side of the mountain to the other.

Flight masters whistle is a gigantic help though. Can't deny that.
Heck not even Draenor. Draenor was miles better designed than the broken isles. I could farm, run and do basically everything normally there. On the Broken Isles? I get stopped by tiny stones or branches every 2 minutes, there's a lot of places where there's just no way to get out, mob density and aggro range is beyond ridiculous and some farm stuff that shows "besides me" is on the top of some cliff or something that takes another 10 mins to get around or to get down without dying.

The Broken Isles are Broken indeed, because the terrain has never been so badly designed. Draenor , in comparison, is much better.

09/30/2016 10:14 AMPosted by Qtafyrse

Yup, good thing my main is a druid (flap) engineer.
Haven't missed flying at all. Ground mounts makes the game more fun and engaging to me.
09/30/2016 06:03 PMPosted by Averyx
Heck not even Draenor. Draenor was miles better designed than the broken isles. I could farm, run and do basically everything normally there. On the Broken Isles? I get stopped by tiny stones or branches every 2 minutes, there's a lot of places where there's just no way to get out, mob density and aggro range is beyond ridiculous and some farm stuff that shows "besides me" is on the top of some cliff or something that takes another 10 mins to get around or to get down without dying.

The Broken Isles are Broken indeed, because the terrain has never been so badly designed. Draenor , in comparison, is much better.

Yup, good thing my main is a druid (flap) engineer.

/facepalm

Dude, I know you'll hate what I will say, but it's the truth: if you get stuck so much like you say you're just bad at videogames... seriously. lol

If you're stuck on a fence (which you shouldn't, path 1 is clear, path 2 is fence: go into path 1), one quick swing holding the mouse 2 button will free you. Takes about 0,2 seconds to fix that.