Recent Warden Tower Changes

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
As many players have noticed, we’ve been iterating somewhat rapidly on the rewards and cadence of the Warden Tower PvP World Quests. We wanted to take a moment to explain what’s happening, and why we’ve been tinkering with them so much.

Our goal for Warden Towers is that they should feel fun and rewarding, but still secondary to Arenas and Battlegrounds as an overall source of Honor. When Legion first launched, they were certainly lucrative, but so frequent that many players were earning the vast majority of their Honor by completing them. We tried to correct this by increasing the time it took for them to refresh, and reducing the amount of Honor they gave, but that brought us to the other extreme – they were no longer a primary source of Honor, but they didn’t feel rewarding enough for the time investment.

With the latest updates, we’ve increased the Honor rewarded for completing a Warden Tower back to 300, but they will only re-activate once every 24 hours. This means you should once again feel that completing one is worth your time, but you’ll still need to look to Arenas and Battlegrounds for the majority of your Honor. Warden Towers should now be properly filling their intended role in end-game PvP progression.
I'm honestly baffled with the PVP reward system.

I'd be willing to bet people aren't queuing for BGs because you can spend 30 minutes in a BG fighting tooth and nail for a victory, win, and your reward is 3(!) swiftness potions and 100AP....

It's insulting.

Would love to know the thought process behind this "system".

In the past, even if you lost, you were still earning currency to put towards a piece a gear. Even when losing - the grind was rewarding - and you were making progress.

Now? Well, I guess just hope you get lucky.
I've always treated Warden towers as a daily heroic, but for PvP. Do it once to get the reward, I think this is a good direction for the towers.
@Ornyx, since the towers seemed to be the only place i see vind glad gear (season 1). Can you confirm if you can get Vindictive Gladiator from random bgs, skirmishes or only from world quests and Rated bgs, arenas?
Nerf to the ground much?

Go from 3 hours to 6 to 24.

Seems like devs are clueless this expac with all these major changes every week. What was the point of the long beta?
09/27/2016 10:57 AMPosted by Kohkei
@Ornyx, since the towers seemed to be the only place i see vind glad gear (season 1). Can you confirm if you can get Vindictive Gladiator from random bgs, skirmishes or only from world quests and Rated bgs, arenas?

@Ornyx Possible to answer this question? There is a lot of misleading or simply wrong info on the drops from Random BG's.

Thank you in advance
I still won't be entering your battlegrounds, they just aren't fun right now and the reward is a terrible compensation for the frustration they offer.

As for the Towers, I'm ok with it, I guess. I mean I get it. However when I'm on Emerald Dream, I get FAR more PvP doing PvE world quests than I do PvP world quests. So the Towers implementation just don't make sense me to begin with.
Why are you spending so much time trying to perfect these towers that don't even have actual PvP going on?

Or have I just been so insanely unlucky that my 2 occurrences of PvP at these locations is an outlier? Both of those only happened because I initiated them when I passed by a tower owned by my faction on the way to do something else.

I've got more PvP from random open-world quests on a PvE server than I have with these towers, ever.
Have you considered hot fixing better loot into bgs? As it stands you get ilvl 805 SOMETIMES for winning a 30 minute bg. The towers were one of the few ways to get higher ilvl gear and now with a 24h cooldown they are almost worthless unless they have a 840+ piece.

I don't quite understand why heroic dungeons give 825+ gear tons of AP and bgs give basically nothing. Even mythic dungeons are pathetically easy.
I was wondering when blizzard would realize people were having too much fun and playing the way they wanted to earn their rewards. Gotta stamp all that out
09/27/2016 11:21 AMPosted by Therapybeard
Have you considered hot fixing better loot into bgs? As it stands you get ilvl 805 SOMETIMES for winning a 30 minute bg. The towers were one of the few ways to get higher ilvl gear and now with a 24h cooldown they are almost worthless unless they have a 840+ piece.

I don't quite understand why heroic dungeons give 825+ gear tons of AP and bgs give basically nothing. Even mythic dungeons are pathetically easy.

Seconding this.
PvP is dreadfully unrewarding. I understand the carrot needs to be something to reach for, but even winning battlegrounds rewards practically nothing. You're lucky to get a pathetic consumable. A piece of gear is out of the question. You can't even get Marks of Honor reliably for transmog gear for god's sake.

Stop trying to fix these pointless towers and focus on making instanced PvP worth doing. 10g and a pat on the back for a victory is insulting.
09/27/2016 11:21 AMPosted by Flaskataur
Why are you spending so much time trying to perfect these towers that don't even have actual PvP going on?

Or have I just been so insanely unlucky that my 2 occurrences of PvP at these locations is an outlier? Both of those only happened because I initiated them when I passed by a tower owned by my faction on the way to do something else.

I've got more PvP from random open-world quests on a PvE server than I have with these towers, ever.

lack of incentive really.

i dont get why they didnt give rewards for defending them. they want to encourage healthy pvp battles but the only places that tends to happen are the pve spots and forced pvp against your own faction.

do they NOT remember Halaa? One of the best outdoors "bgs" we've had that worked very well.
So because the Towers were more rewarding than BGs you changed the timers to make them a once a day thing rather than 6-8 times a day. How about you fix the PVP reward system in BGs and arenas in addition to this? It makes no sense that I can go to a tower, get 150/300 honor and 840 gear/600+ AP in 5 minutes, but in a 20 minute BG I potentially can get 805 gear/60 AP.
How about in addition you change them to require players to flag themselves to participate rather than flagging everyone who falls off a mountain nearby? Or do like in Hinterlands' PvP quest: "by taking this quest you will be flagged for PvP until you complete it or abandon it."

Just a thought.
"Our goal for Warden Towers is that they should feel fun and rewarding"

You really thought a "kill 12 + 1" quest, marked as a PvP quest, with an item reward 50 ilv below what one is wearing, would be fun and rewarding?
09/27/2016 10:45 AMPosted by Ornyx
As many players have noticed, we’ve been iterating somewhat rapidly on the rewards and cadence of the Warden Tower PvP World Quests. We wanted to take a moment to explain what’s happening, and why we’ve been tinkering with them so much.

Our goal for Warden Towers is that they should feel fun and rewarding, but still secondary to Arenas and Battlegrounds as an overall source of Honor. When Legion first launched, they were certainly lucrative, but so frequent that many players were earning the vast majority of their Honor by completing them. We tried to correct this by increasing the time it took for them to refresh, and reducing the amount of Honor they gave, but that brought us to the other extreme – they were no longer a primary source of Honor, but they didn’t feel rewarding enough for the time investment.

With the latest updates, we’ve increased the Honor rewarded for completing a Warden Tower back to 300, but they will only re-activate once every 24 hours. This means you should once again feel that completing one is worth your time, but you’ll still need to look to Arenas and Battlegrounds for the majority of your Honor. Warden Towers should now be properly filling their intended role in end-game PvP progression.

Fun detected. Fun nerfed.
How about upping the base AP on Soldier's Splendor as well then from the Warden Tower? That was 99% of the reason I did these anyway.
Instead of making bgs worth doing they just keep nerfing the towers. I'm not going to spend 30 minutes in a bg for a 805ilv blue, 100 artifact power, and 100 honor for a loss which is all horde does on my battlegroup. Anything but bg is more rewarding from world quests to heroics to mythic and mythic+ where you drown in loot, gold, and resources, all you get in bg is disappointment. I can live with taking longer to get the prestige appearance to avoid wasting my time in bgs.

BG needs to give a baseline amount of honor, say 200, win or lose. Then on top of that, bonus honor for objectives. 100 bonus honor for winning, AV tower caps, flag captures, every 500 points in AB, etc. Win OR lose, there should be a bag with a guaranteed heroic dungeon ilv pvp blue (with the same chance to upgrade) or heroic dungeon level ap item, and gold equivalent to 3-4 heroic bosses. The winning team should get a second bag. This would be a good start, and would even get people like me only doing towers for the artifact appearance into bgs.
They've been clueless about PvP ever since they decided that gear should be randomly drawn from a box.

Nothing really shocks me anymore when it comes to the decisions and the team behind PvP.