Fury warr still mediocre

General Discussion
Feedback in class forums largely goes unseen so I'm going to post here in an effort to get some vision.

Fury, despite the buffs, is still doing relatively poorly overall according to the H EN logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10/#difficulty=4

Just go Arms, right? I want to do good damage AND enjoy the play of that particular spec, not one or the other. Sure, some people like Arms but I don't and I shouldn't have to play it just to do reasonable damage.

Just play what you want, right? Some people derive enjoyment from different things. Like I said before, I enjoy performing well along with having a good 'feeling' to a spec.

How would I fix it? Well, if we're going to continue with the ridiculous theme of being a berserker and taking 20-30% more damage, we need to put out damage that warrants that - not be a glass cannon without the cannon. If anything, we're rounded glass with no sharp edges to cut with.

Enrage: Either remove the extra-damage-taken mechanic or place Fury 20-30% above every other class/spec on damage. "That's ridiculous!" you say - but melee dps is already high-risk / high-reward. If you increase the risk by a given amount, the reward should be that much sweeter. We shouldn't be doing 20-30% less damage and taking 20-30% more.

Self-heals: Questing and general world-play right now is still generally less-preferable as Fury vs. Protection. We're probably going to need to have Enraged Regeneration on a significantly lower cooldown or simply remove it and give us back Die by the Sword and bake some much better lifesteal into Bloodthirst.

Furious Slash: Please stop trying to shoehorn this ability in to our rotations. It's bad and you should feel bad. Best solution here would be to reintegrate the innate crit bonus that Bloodthirst had last expansion so enrage uptime would improve (would do wonders for our damage as well!).

I think I've touched in most of my biggest complaints but really, all I'm doing is regurgitating a lot of what the prime theorycrafters have been saying since beta began that all but fell on deaf ears.

I would argue cases for the other classes on the bottom as I feel every spec should be doing equal damage with preferences coming down to enjoyable playstyle and different utility but warrior is my main so Fury is the case that they gave me.
Well said!

I just want to know how they thought this was a good idea given current encounter design. When we had Berserker Stance it wasn't anywhere near 30%.

Based on a little bit of research I did.

In patch 1.2 they reduced the damage taken by Berserker Stance from 20% to 10%- December 18, 2004

In Patch 3.1, April 2009, they further reduced it to 5%.

In Patch 4.0.1. the increase in damage taken was removed entirely and later on in 6.0 they removed the stance from the game.

I started in 4.0.3 so the entire time I've mained my warrior we didn't have to account for any extra damage taken while playing Fury and now all of a sudden it's worse than it was in Classic? An idea that even they changed after a month of the game being live?

Here are some suggestions, please take these individually and not all together. I don't want to be overpowered I just want to not be a liability to my healers.

Make the 300% Bloodthirst heal talent baseline and reduce the damage taken penalty

Give us back Victory Rush, which Arms and Prot get to keep despite the whole idea of getting a rush from killing your enemies is a Berserker thing.

Remove the damage taken penalty completely.

Give us another damage reduction like Die by the Sword or lower the CD on Enraged regeneration.
Takes 20% more damage and taxes the healers mana to dish out mediocre damage. Fury is decent in mythic+ but once the tiers get too high they take far too much damage and mythic+ is already intense on the healer as it is.

As for raids, just why bring one? Melee spots are limited anyway (moreso than ranged), and why bring the melee who just brings mediocre dps and is more of a burden to heal and keep alive? It just makes no sense.

I don't understand why they couldn't start small with the enrage mechanic. OK, taking more damage is the fury class fantasy. How about 15%? How about 10%? Why's it gotta be 30%? A 30% multiplier is insanity, even 20% is. That's hard to balance from a pve and pvp standpoint and it leads to a situation where the spec is either way too OP (like in beta when the tradeoff for more damage intake is too much) or way too UP (like now where there is very little advantageous tradeoff).
09/28/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Melaroi
Give us back Victory Rush, which Arms and Prot get to keep despite the whole idea of getting a rush from killing your enemies is a Berserker thing.

Yes! Excellent entree with a side of class fantasy.
09/28/2016 10:14 AMPosted by Anbhogo
I don't understand why they couldn't start small with the enrage mechanic. OK, taking more damage is the fury class fantasy. How about 15%? How about 10%? Why's it gotta be 30%? A 30% multiplier is insanity, even 20% is.

I'm not a cutting edge raider these days. My guild was fighting Mythic Archimonde during the pre-patch and for our first kill I just happened to be enraged during the first orb soaking phase and it one shot me. It was bad RNG because two people from that group had orbs on them so they weren't there to soak but I got the honor of sitting there, the only dead person in my whole raid, as my guild took the boss from 35% to 0% with 19 players.

Normally I get a little excited when we kill a boss, but after smelling the floor for 2 minutes I had no enthusiasm left.
09/28/2016 10:28 AMPosted by Melaroi
Normally I get a little excited when we kill a boss, but after smelling the floor for 2 minutes I had no enthusiasm left.

Ouch. I can't blame you. I only did a few Heroic Archis so I didn't have to deal with all of that but I can imagine when Mythics really make you notice poor class design that much more.
09/28/2016 10:15 AMPosted by Mablun
09/28/2016 10:10 AMPosted by Melaroi

Yes! Excellent entree with a side of class fantasy.

I suggest they just implement Victory rush into Bloodthirst every time we kill an opponent or give us some high healing passive mechanic that make us leech of enemies. Call it Thirst thriller or something.
I just can't do fury anymore. 5 years of nothing but fury. That's all I knew. Make fury great again.
These are all facts.

Facts.
agree 100% with OP.

Personally my fury damage isn't bad in dungeons. i haven't tried him in raiding yet.

But for world questing and leveling...he's not viable at all. He can take 1-2 things ok. but 3 or more hes done. AND he has to rest between each fight because he is squishy as all hell. He needs more self heals, or to have 30% damage penalty rethought....

But fury is VERY broken. the new animations are the only thing that makes it fun...His performance however...is trash.
I'll throw my voice in here and agree. It's unacceptable that we have to take 30% more damage for (right now) absolutely no reason at all. The buffs were a slight step in the right direction, but we need more. So unless we're going to actually GET a 20-30% damage buff along with having to take more damage, just remove the damned debuff.

On an unrelated note - I haven't played melee in quit a while, and I noticed that there seems to be this odd pause after the GCD resets but before I can hit anything, which effectively prevents pre-casting. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it intentional? Is there any precedent behind it?
09/28/2016 11:22 AMPosted by Fustigate
On an unrelated note - I haven't played melee in quit a while, and I noticed that there seems to be this odd pause after the GCD resets but before I can hit anything, which effectively prevents pre-casting. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it intentional? Is there any precedent behind it?

Haven't noticed anything quite like that but I've seen the GCD go off without actually using an ability (because the target either died or moved out of range right when the ability was used).
Fury is doing overall about 40% more DPS than previously. Fury is also affected a lot more by your crit chance, strength, and haste than arms is by mastery, strength and haste.

It's the same as every other expansion, deal with it and quit being a whiny !@#$% about it. Arms start out higher because its base damage, and the spec is built around the spec itself, and not gear.

Fury will be better as better gear is released.

if your problem is in taking damage, your primary ability heals you for 4% of your health per hit. You're easier to heal than any other class in a raid, and if you're dying to a mechanic that does 70% of most peoples health, then you're raiding wrong to begin with.

If your complaint is about PVP, you now have the highest self healing, with enraged regeneration giving you a base 24% healing, and 20% damage reduction, on top of being able to turn it into 30%, with bloodthirst being usable on GCD.