Account-Wide Artifact Research Notes

General Discussion
*Please read the bottom of this post for important updates*

Hello, everyone!

I would love to see the Artifact Research Notes increase the Artifact Power of all characters on the account. Now, obviously we cannot have every single alt picking up these notes every four days and stacking up the bonuses. However, being able to loot one note every four days on the account would be extremely helpful.

Hear me out.

This expansion, I am consistently grinding my main character by doing world quests, Suramar storylines, mythics, and (soon) raids. This may not sound like much, but the world quests and Suramar storylines take up a huge amount of time, especially for players like myself who will try and complete every single world quest on the map in a single day.

Before, leveling an alt and gearing it was typically done by simply spamming dungeons until you were high enough to complete raids and get up to par with your guildies, friends, or even strangers in custom premade groups. Now, if I decide that a Warlock or a Paladin look super interesting four or five months from now, I'm practically screwed. Artifact traits are so important and they affect your healing, tanking, and DPS output by such an enormous amount. To be behind in Artifact Research Notes and Artifact Power is to be behind in both PvE and PvP and behind in the expansion as a whole.

There are eleven different classes to choose from, and players should be encouraged to go beyond their "norm" and their comfort zone in order to experience new characters and playstyles. It seems that we are so focused and centralized around our main characters that a considerable amount of time will pass until we get to our alts. By then, we'll have already missed out on so much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and consider my proposal.

What do you guys think of this?

Edit: I also want to point out the fact that this does not take away the grind of the artifact, even on our alts. We will STILL have to complete the quests, do dungeons, advance in storylines, and so on and so forth in order to progress.

Think of the process as max-level heirlooms for our alts' artifacts. We still have to level, but it will be a bit quicker since we've already experienced it before.

*Important Update*

Earlier today, Blizzard "addressed" this topic with this news post:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20286674/catching-up-with-artifact-weapons

While we appreciate the fact that our concerns are being "addressed", they are not being solved. The post merely suggested that the current catch-up mechanic is sufficient enough to satisfy the playerbase. However, this is not the case.

Even with the "catch-up mechanic," we are STILL limited by the waiting time. No matter how much effort we are willing to put forth into grinding or progressing our character, we are FORCED to merely sit and WAIT to reap the benefits of our efforts.

Yes, the waiting time is reduced, but it's still there—even for people who have spent weeks grinding out and putting forth enough time already. No matter how much it is decreased, we come across the brick wall that is waiting simply to return to our Class Hall and continue leveling our artifact at a "decent" rate.

My personal response to this "catch-up" mechanic was already answered in a previous post on this exact thread here:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749315253?page=2#post-26
The biggest prohibitive measure there is in the game for me to not play alts, is the artifact power grind.

The time I invest in this toon, feels like it would be a waste to spend on another toon, or split among several.

I've never felt that before in WoW. Better yet, make Artifact Power account wide. If I earn it with one character or spec, I would love to spend it elsewhere if it suited me.
This is an issue, it is not alt-friendly. My druid is secondary 110, it will take him weeks before he is able to obtain Tariy's +140% artifact knowledge.

A third 110? It'll take months trying to maintain them. A fourth? Forget it. I'd also like to see upgradable heirlooms by 7.1 or otherwise not very far off from that point.

I mean it's obvious it is content to strive for, which keeps entertainment going. But if there's too much time involved to strive for, it has the absolute opposite effect of being "fun." In fact, it can actually be physiologically overwhelming & thus deterring.
One of the great things about artifact knowledge is you can log on your alt twice a week, hit "train" and when you decide to really pick up your alt later on you'll be able to very quickly grind out heavy amounts of AP. The system really isn't bad in that regard. It isn't like you're going to play your main and alt equally. I leveled my priest to 110 about 10 days after my shaman so I'm only a couple tiers behind in knowledge.

The thing I'd like to see account-wide is suramar rep. Having to do the entire storyline/rep grind/withered on multiple toons is daunting!
Yeah the time-gating is a big deal. I don't know why they would do that.

It's one thing to have to grind out gear to be suitable for heroics/mythics or raids.

It is another to be behind a huge grind wall that you don't even have enough grind-able resources available prior to bonus'.

Because I leveled this character second I'm literally still waiting on the long duration missions to complete so I can even get my 3rd relic slot >< and raids/mythic+ are out now.
09/21/2016 05:40 PMPosted by Diamondtíara
One of the great things about artifact knowledge is you can log on your alt twice a week, hit "train" and when you decide to really pick up your alt later on you'll be able to very quickly grind out heavy amounts of AP. The system really isn't bad in that regard. It isn't like you're going to play your main and alt equally. I leveled my priest to 110 about 10 days after my shaman so I'm only a couple tiers behind in knowledge.

The thing I'd like to see account-wide is suramar rep. Having to do the entire storyline/rep grind/withered on multiple toons is daunting!

I understand this, but please reread what I wrote here:

09/21/2016 05:23 PMPosted by Wildspirit
Now, if I decide that a Warlock or a Paladin look super interesting four or five months from now, I'm practically screwed.

I don't have a max level of every single class. We shouldn't have to immediately level one of every class as soon as the expansion hits just to keep up with the time-gated Artifact Power Notes. I should be able to enjoy the game, and maybe a few months down the road try out a new toon without being absolutely hopeless due to my Artifact Power being incredibly behind.

So yes, I can just log on and gather the Artifact Research Notes on my toons every four days, but that REQUIRES them to already be level 110.
It might be a little out of topic, but the only feature I missed from FFXIV is the one-character-all-class. I can concentrate all my efforts on just one character.

I know it doesn't make any sense for WoW unless they make a major lore change. Just saying that the feature is the only thing I like in FFXIV.
why would you want to get the full artifact in 3 weeks of a NEW GAME? its retarded how people want or expect to max out so soon, then spend 2 years crying about content and nothing to do
09/21/2016 05:34 PMPosted by Dódsferd
The biggest prohibitive measure there is in the game for me to not play alts, is the artifact power grind.

Artifact Power, Suramar quest line / Rep, and to a lesser extent WQ grind for resources (AP too) are what is making it less fun looking forward to leveling alts for me. I have 2 110's and the amount of stuff I do on a daily basis to feel like I'm keeping up is exhausting - it is literally the first time in almost 9 years of play that it has felt like a true grind :( I'm still enjoying the expansion don't get me wrong, but ugh.
I support this idea, it would be more alt friendly if they did this.
09/21/2016 06:02 PMPosted by Violetta
why would you want to get the full artifact in 3 weeks of a NEW GAME? its retarded how people want or expect to max out so soon, then spend 2 years crying about content and nothing to do

Legion was released on the 30th of August. It has been three weeks and not a single player in the entire world has their full artifact.

It will take months and maybe even an entire year or longer to get each trait plus the 20/20 with the "bonus" trait.

Please do not be so rude, especially when you contribute nothing but ignorance and negativity.

The grind is fine, but we shouldn't be constricted to one main character or be forced to level every single class NOW so that we do not miss out in the future because of the time-gated aspect of the artifacts.
09/21/2016 06:12 PMPosted by Wildspirit
09/21/2016 06:02 PMPosted by Violetta

Legion was released on the 30th of August. It has been three weeks and not a single player in the entire world has their full artifact.

It will take months and maybe even an entire year or longer to get each trait plus the 20/20 with the "bonus" trait.

Please do not be so rude, especially when you contribute nothing but ignorance and negativity.

The grind is fine, but we shouldn't be constricted to one main character or be forced to level every single class NOW so that we do not miss out in the future because of the time-gated aspect of the artifacts.
The grind isn't fine if your rerolling due to nerfs.
This is a great idea. Right now, I feel like my alts will be really screwed. In WoD, I ignored them until I got flight in Dreanor. With luck and determination, I was able to have multiple characters killing heroic Archie before 7.0.

Now, if I wait until legion flight to level my alts, they will be really screwed. Their artifacts will be grossly behind my mains.

If it were account wide, that would make more sense for getting alts to the content your main is at. They would still need to earn the artifact power through quests and such, but at least the account wide rate would make leveling and playing alts less of a backward step.
not only are alts tedious to do now....its even worst than before thanks to having to power up multple weapons for each alt too!

this is the least alt friendly expansion to date. i have every class at 100+ and i've decided i dont have enough hours in a day to play them anymore.
This expansion is great so far imo. Don't take my criticism too strongly.

It is just a really confusing why such a multi-character unfriendly system would be implemented at all.

I personally feel like I have to power level ALL of my alts just to they start progressing along their 3rd relic slot quest line AND start earning artifact knowledge.

Or else should I decide to switch toons for fun I could be months behind and that is not something that would be fun at all.

/2cents
09/21/2016 06:15 PMPosted by Dairuin
<span class="truncated">...</span>

The grind isn't fine if your rerolling due to nerfs.

That is why the account-wide artifact powers would be useful. If you feel forced to switch classes (which arguably, you never should), you should be able to try out a new class.
Agree 100%

It's one thing to gate my progress behind time on my main character, but once I've achieved it why in the hell does it need to be repeated on my alts? And to the same degree? WTF!?

If anything this is what will kill the game sooner than their overall ineptitude with class balance it's that when people can't play the classes they like they won't make alts because the system literally discourages it!
I think the "artifact" research should be the same time/pickup account wide. If you research for one, it should do it for all. Ect ect.
Absolutely agree. This and leveling needs to be addressed. I know a lot of people in the forums are veterans with many alts, but for those of us trying WoW for the first time in Legion, leveling alts is a nightmare. It's mind numbing, I want to play Legion and all the other amazing classes and class campaigns. I don't wanna have to grind mind numbing old content for over a week to do play a new class.
09/21/2016 07:38 PMPosted by Näglfär
Agree 100%

It's one thing to gate my progress behind time on my main character, but once I've achieved it why in the hell does it need to be repeated on my alts? And to the same degree? WTF!?

If anything this is what will kill the game sooner than their overall ineptitude with class balance it's that when people can't play the classes they like they won't make alts because the system literally discourages it!

09/21/2016 07:39 PMPosted by Dairuin
I think the "artifact" research should be the same time/pickup account wide. If you research for one, it should do it for all. Ect ect.

09/21/2016 07:41 PMPosted by Shokano
Absolutely agree. This and leveling needs to be addressed. I know a lot of people in the forums are veterans with many alts, but for those of us trying WoW for the first time in Legion, leveling alts is a nightmare. It's mind numbing, I want to play Legion and all the other amazing classes and class campaigns. I don't wanna have to grind mind numbing old content for over a week to do play a new class.

Thank you for your replies; it is nice to see that others are concerned about this as well. My "WoW day" is already filled with so much for one character between waiting. I am frantically completing as many world quests as I possibly can to ensure that I am not behind. I truly cannot imagine having to do this on every character.