Account-Wide Artifact Research Notes

General Discussion
There IS a catch-up mechanic in place regarding artifact knowledge. There is an "expected" AK level based on the time since the expansion release. Basically: (days since Aug 30) / 5. If you are behind this level, the work orders for AK take fewer than 5 days. The further behind you are, the quicker they are, down to 1 day.

Also, the artifact trait cost themselves are scaled in such a way that you can have a small fraction of the artifact power invested yet only be a few traits behind. For instance, having 34 traits requires 5 times the AP that having 28 does.

Also, as the expansion goes on, Blizzard is totally free to add additional sources of AP or increase yields of existing ones whenever they want.

Personally, I think WoD's "spend 6-8 hours leveling 90-100 then run a few heroics (later Tanaan) and you're done with that alt" was a BIG reason why that expansion had zero staying power.
09/21/2016 06:15 PMPosted by Dairuin
...The grind isn't fine if your rerolling due to nerfs.

That is why the account-wide artifact powers are useful. If you feel forced to switch classes (which arguably, you never should), you should be able to try out a new class.

Exactly. I choose the death knight and leveled as frost. I loved it but it's completely broken for dps. I wanna try another class. But for some reason Blizz demands I grind out original wow and all the expansions before I can step the character into legion again.

Which I get it, that's the way it is. But when one of my specs is broken and was completely ignored during the beta, and the other spec took a big nerf right before the raid opened for no reason, when the other classes are locked behind this ridiculous grind that takes normal people days or even a week (if you factor in rep grind and AP collecting and Surumar quests), suddenly the subscription doesn't feel worth it.
09/21/2016 07:39 PMPosted by Dairuin
I think the "artifact" research should be the same time/pickup account wide. If you research for one, it should do it for all. Ect ect.

Single NPC in Dalaran using the Blingtron daily mechanics and the research applies account wide.

Would Solve 90% of my issues with the expansion and alts.

(edit: can't spell worth a dook)
Se me like the best thing to do is level as many alts as you want to 110 and focus solely on AK while they are parked. At least this way when you want to play them, the AP you get in each session should be high enough to help them progress meaningfully.

It is strange considering there must be a lot of players who like having options with alts. And Blizzard surely knows this.
You realize that your alts will complete their early artifact researches much FASTER than it takes your main right? This catch up mechanic helps you with that. All you gotta do is wait for it to be nice and high then farm artifact power from WQs.
09/21/2016 07:49 PMPosted by Auralyne
There IS a catch-up mechanic in place regarding artifact knowledge. There is an "expected" AK level based on the time since the expansion release. Basically: (days since Aug 30) / 5. If you are behind this level, the work orders for AK take fewer than 5 days. The further behind you are, the quicker they are, down to 1 day.

Also, the artifact trait cost themselves are scaled in such a way that you can have a small fraction of the artifact power invested yet only be a few traits behind. For instance, having 34 traits requires 5 times the AP that having 28 does.

Also, as the expansion goes on, Blizzard is totally free to add additional sources of AP or increase yields of existing ones whenever they want.

Personally, I think WoD's "spend 6-8 hours leveling 90-100 then run a few heroics (later Tanaan) and you're done with that alt" was a BIG reason why that expansion had zero staying power.

09/21/2016 07:54 PMPosted by Zephyrath
You realize that your alts will complete their early artifact researches much FASTER than it takes your main right? This catch up mechanic helps you with that. All you gotta do is wait for it to be nice and high then farm artifact power from WQs.

Here is some information regarding the catchup mechanic:

How will the artifact catch up mechanics work for alts and alt specs?
    If you want to maintain multiple specs at a high level of progress, that will take more effort--similar if you play a hybrid class and have the best possible gear. However, you can get through early traits easily on alt-spec Artifacts, if you have acquired high Artifact Knowledge(leading to increased Artifact Power).

Another catch up mechanic is the amount of time spent on Artifact Knowledge Research. For people who are behind, and those playing later in the expansion, your research will be sped up so you can acquire Artifact Knowledge ranks faster.

Will Artifact Knowledge be account-wide?
    All alts learning it add to total benefit.
    That won't be the case. It's for one character and all of the weapons they own, not multiple characters. It is not unlocked cumulatively across an account. Want to avoid situations with the MoP farm and WoD Garrison where you felt you needed multiple alt]s at once.

Source: http://www.wowhead.com/news=254031/legion-artifact-q-a

While this is indeed a wonderful idea, it is executed poorly. Yes, the time to research notes is shortened. However, we are still back to square one. We are stuck waiting while we grind, only to have the grind shortened a minuscule amount.

Note this particular sentece:

However, you can get through early traits easily on alt-spec Artifacts, if you have acquired high Artifact Knowledge(leading to increased Artifact Power).

It is noted that we can indeed gain early traits easily on alts, IF we have HIGH Artifact Knowledge already. This is the problem. We DON'T have high Artifact Knowledge. It takes so much time.

Edit: Please refer to the original post for an important update.
My AP points currently costs "only" 18K and I'm honestly already stopping to care much :-/. I'll see where it will bring me without caring about it much but... I'm not exactly hyped to do everything I can to farm them on my alt... And I have 4 of them... 1 110, 2 105 and one 100... It's gonna be so hard to "stay up to date" on those.
Also with people realizing that their class is underperforming in a raid environment would benefit from this too. They can quickly level up another spec or class/spec combo without feeling like they're starting over.

A good QoL improvement and I don't see any real negatives.
Maybe make the AP tokens BOA? Maybe wait until you max out one artifact? I think blizz will add in some catch up mechanism, maybe by 7.1. But I too am not really looking at leveling an alt until then. I keep thinking I should be playing my main instead.
There are infact boa AP tokens. They drop in the incentive bags for LFD. These tokens are for 100 AP but do not benefit from a characters AK level.
To me, an account-wide AK shouldn't be needed, but I do agree that a change needs implemented. I feel the flaw in the catch-up system is that you cannot even access it until you've reached max level. If AK research was unlocked around 102, same as alt spec artifact access, you could push your alts to 102, and start parking them to queue research with just the need to log in and quest some to ensure enough resources to keep queuing research. The benefit to this earlier access to AK is that if/when you decided to focus on an alt to push into end-gaming, as long as you'd gotten it to the unlock point, their artifact would potentially "outgear" the leveling process. This in turn would speed their push to max lvl and open into the rest of the gear and rep grind, while allowing for the weapon/ability bonus of artifacts to be comparable to those who hadn't diverged interests, or hadn't decided to drop their original chosen class for whatever their reasons.
As for a catch-up system to leveling, their already is one in the heirloom system. Virtually all old content is blasted through when sporting a full heirloom set-up plus chants if you choose to stack your deck even more so. Even without heirlooms, you could blast from 92-100 in WoD content with the elixir in under 30 minutes if you did 2-3 hours pre-work.

tldr: The AK system isn't the problem for alt artifacts, it's that the system isn't even accessible until you've level capped. Provide earlier access, and alts would be viable in AP acccumulation.
09/23/2016 09:49 PMPosted by Àniheró
If AK research was unlocked around 102, same as alt spec artifact access, you could push your alts to 102, and start parking them to queue research with just the need to log in and quest some to ensure enough resources to keep queuing research.

I heartily agree!

Moreover, I don't understand why the (awful) Artifact Knowledge grind isn't unlocked at 102-103 now. But I would really enjoy for it to be so for alts!!
Artifact knowledge is NOT account wide?

Are you kidding me? I have to do all that over again on another character? Why? Wtf is the point of that? I assumed it was account wide and I wanted to change my main but not now.

What a greedy profit grab this is. Let's hope this profit grab doesn't blow up in your face, Blizz. I don't think I can do it again and I don't like priests this expac so I might be done. I don't know.
The gating systems are the reason why I'm playing a druid this xpac. I like to shift around roles, and this class is the only one I can do every role with.

Sucks because I keep looking at my alts that have been sitting unused since August 30th.
09/21/2016 06:02 PMPosted by Violetta
why would you want to get the full artifact in 3 weeks of a NEW GAME? its retarded how people want or expect to max out so soon, then spend 2 years crying about content and nothing to do

Because our classes are balanced around the expectation that we are 34/34, and having to wait several months per alt in an expansion that's only around for 2 years makes changing characters really difficult should we be in a situation that necessitates it (i.e. main is nerfed out of viability, guild needs someone to fill a hole in their roster because they don't have the recruits, etc).

09/22/2016 05:39 AMPosted by Hreeza
There are infact boa AP tokens. They drop in the incentive bags for LFD. These tokens are for 100 AP but do not benefit from a characters AK level.

That makes them worthless. Artefacts run into the millions, 100ap without AK bonuses is just ridiculous.
This is just a lightly veiled attempt at psychologically twisting the already OCD like need for progress of the WoW player to buy that 100 upgrade to close the gap on getting those research notes started. It, like most of this exspansion's time gating is money grabbing beyond what we have seen previously. Now I spend a ton on Blizzard games so it is just the way I play, but if it continues, people will get turned off. Sure, there are plenty of fanboys/girls who dislike any questioning of the norm irregardless of an arguments merrit, but the time gates are a long term issue and transparently harmful business practices.

As mentioned by a previous poster, many of these stall tactics are detterents and create barriers which shouldn't exist regarding playing different classes. I agree with timegating once, it keeps the subs going, but gating any future passes through content with an unplesent mechanism is not good. Sure noone needs instant gratification, and I don't think that ever was the intent of the OP, but rather a vocalalization of frustration of a poorly designed mechanism. If you want to timegate the whole exspansion to make people feel they have to stick it out, add it to more serious achievmemts, raiding, epic level play, but not where someone might feel that running an alt to max level for fun is pointless. Afterall, people who play a bunch of alts are the ones who maintain an active sub anyway.

I get that Blizz has a business to run, but they are sacrificing quality which is generally a sign that profiteering is beating creative business approaches and hints at much more series problems for the game.

PS: I did this on my phone and it has spelling issues, I fat finger enough to not wish to try to fix them all.
I play my alt sparingly and haven't had a problem, myself. Class hall missions serve as a means to get AP when I'm not using him and the catch up mechanics added in the future will make the artifact research shorter as time goes on.

For me I don't have a problem at all with how things are right now. But I suppose I could see how it would be frustrating for others that play several alts at once and try to keep them comparable to each other.
I feel fairly confident that AK will blow up in their face and they will make it account wide (or near enough) in two or three months.

It's the same kind of lazy game design that plagued WoD. Having no content for months and having to wait months before being able to consume content feel an awful lot alike.
Totally disagree with you, OP.

I have two alts and a main and they're all churning out AK as we speak. My newest alt is at a 3-day speed per Artifact Knowledge Level.

DPS for specs is more derived from your gear acquired after about your 20-21 points into your spec. Only true progression guilds pushing for Mythic first will care if you have your 35th point or not.

If you're alts are doing minimal work besides gaining AK, then they will have huge AP gains a few weeks down the road so those first 21 points will be pretty fast.

Even new alts shouldn't have a problem gaining that 20-21 points.

There's no need to make AK wide. You don't get gear account wide. You don't get honor account wide. You don't get rep account wide. You don't even get your artifact skimds account wide.
I made a demon hunter cause I thought it would be fun. 10 seconds after making it I had visions of all the work I had to do: grind AP, questing, etc and I immediately went back to my main.

I fully agree that paragons..er..I mean artifact power should be account wide. You'd think that Blizzard would learn from previous games they've made...