Blablabla MORTAL blabla.

General Discussion
We're gonna enslave everyone of your kind right after we annihilate your brethern...

Standard Bad Guy logic
10/02/2016 11:09 PMPosted by Calazan
I agree with you here. Unfortunately, in this world, there are a significant number of people who casually decide to go munch on the souls of other people for... I dunno, sometimes even petty reasons. It's like they're a group of people who think, "Yeah. I'm evil. And souls taste GREAT!"

Which is... even more ironic and sad than normal, considering that there is a rich, long history in WoW of that having terrible, terrible consequences for them.

I think that trope is called "Doing it for the EVULZ". ;)

I used to think that's all the Burning Legion was doing was going around annihilating worlds for !@#$s and giggles, but learning that Sargeras was doing it in his utter determination to prevent a Void Lord from ever materializing on the material plane would seem like an utterly logical and good thing to do... from his perspective at least.
What's more offputting is how often blizzard uses <player's race> copypasta as a lazy shortcut in their quest dialogue. They could at least do a check to make sure that the NPC isn't the same race as the player. Have you ever received a gift from someone and then said, "Thank you, human"?
10/02/2016 11:24 PMPosted by Ryumaru
I think that trope is called "Doing it for the EVULZ". ;)

Heh, yeah. And I fully admit that doing it for the EVULZ is better than being seduced by power when you know it will get you instantly killed. Cyana Nightglaive comes to mind there.

"Oh, hey. Here I am, surrounded by people who want to murder the Legion AND there's a super-powerful champion running around that has a history of murdering everything in his/her path. Ok. I'll turn traitor."

*dies*

"But they promised me power!"

Oh, honey. How could you not have seen that coming? I know you were being tortured, and maaaaaybe you might have made that foolish decision if the Champion wasn't a demon hunter.

If the champion WAS a demon hunter, she just signed up to have her eyes sucked out or whatever if she got too powerful even if she wasn't slain right after her face heel turn.
Such arrogance !!!
honestly its offending at this point, the villains toss it around like a slur while my alleged allies of benevolent incompetence also call me "mortals". You say it like I have less value, like I have less power.

Yet you are, having had all the time in the world and a not insignificant amount of power, failing to save/destroy this world yet again due to arrogance, conceit, laziness and wasting time calling everyone else "mortals"

I know its plot device that makes it so, but god is it hella annoying at this point.

"God King Skovald" who has run away from me multiple times who is basically a mediocre warrior with a couple warlock levels, rushes in at the end of halls of valor and calls me "dese mortals". The hell... what the F#%K, he has not even yet demonically ascended, for all intents and purposes he is a human/vrykul and he has the ff@#@$%g nerve.

please stop, its really old.

Atleast the drogbars call me insults in their language
karkoon - A type of pokemon I assume
and some other stuff that wasn't really offending.
10/02/2016 11:17 PMPosted by Dedkalm
It is probably about time it was acknowledged that I just keep coming back no matter how many times anyone kills me.

We players have our own Twisting Nether that we just keep on returning from.

The Burning Legion doesn't know what it got itself into.
There are even knights in the paladin class hall that comment on it. "I've heard the Highlord can come back from the dead!" or something like that.

If they don't wipe out spirit healers, we can't die.
10/02/2016 11:05 PMPosted by Ryumaru
You know what's worse than villains calling us "mortal" all the time as a gender / race neutral moniker for players?

Heroes.

Why would anyone seriously refer to their opposition as heroes? The only NPC I've ever heard use it ironically is Nefarion. Everyone else uses it as straight faced as possible. No matter how "Evil" you are, the idea that you know you're evil and that your foes are heroes is just bad.

The best villains are those who think they are doing good from their perspective, not those people who actually assign the label of evil to themselves as if it were some sort of faction choice.

No, WoW isn't aloud to be nuanced or have any kind of depth, it's why the perpetual war between the Alli and horde has to be driven by plot convenience as opposed to some sort of clearly defined ideological divide.
But I'm not a mortal.
I guess it kind of makes sense that demons call us "heroes." Considering they're irredeemably evil. The only entity in the Burning Legion that isn't totally warped is Sargeras, but that's because he's making the usual Titan mistake of saying "There's a problem, better destroy everything and rebuild it from the ground up."
10/03/2016 01:14 AMPosted by Gelevren
I guess it kind of makes sense that demons call us "heroes." Considering they're irredeemably evil. The only entity in the Burning Legion that isn't totally warped is Sargeras, but that's because he's making the usual Titan mistake of saying "There's a problem, better destroy everything and rebuild it from the ground up."

The fact that they specifically refer to us as 'heroes' is odd though, as opposed to 'soldiers' or 'mercenaries' or 'adventurers'. Why not? None of those are exacty wrong either. The fact that they use hero though implies motivation they can't possibly be aware of. What if I'm just in it because I get paid to kill demons? Am I still a hero then? Why make that assumption at all if my title is dependant on my intent or motivation?
10/03/2016 01:28 AMPosted by Akuza
The fact that they specifically refer to us as 'heroes' is odd though, as opposed to 'soldiers' or 'mercenaries' or 'adventurers'. Why not? None of those are exacty wrong either. The fact that they use hero though implies motivation they can't possibly be aware of. What if I'm just in it because I get paid to kill demons? Am I still a hero then? Why make that assumption at all if my title is dependant on my intent or motivation?
Probably because the presence of the Burning Legion is so oppressive that it tends to unite the inhabitants of the planets they invade toward a higher purpose. I'm sure demons are used to people looking past their differences and personal wants toward the greater goal of repelling the Legion -- for which they would be heroes.

I mean, sure, the demons could call us something else. But what would they call us? "Azerothians?" That sounds a lot stranger than "heroes." Maybe they could call us "dissenters," but demons are supposed to be chaotic, right? Even though they march in formation and have a clear chain of command... I guess Sargeras is responsible for that.

Heroes might not be the BEST thing to call us, to be fair. Look at rogues and warlocks -- character archetypes in fantasy with deep, deep roots that portray them as questionably motivated. Not to mention we're really just a bunch of murder-hobos at heart, whether we're playing a demon hunter or a paladin.

But what else fits?
10/03/2016 01:39 AMPosted by Gelevren
10/03/2016 01:28 AMPosted by Akuza
Probably because the presence of the Burning Legion is so oppressive that it tends to unite the inhabitants of the planets they invade toward a higher purpose. I'm sure demons are used to people looking past their differences and personal wants toward the greater goal of repelling the Legion -- for which they would be heroes.

I mean, sure, the demons could call us something else. But what would they call us? "Azerothians?" That sounds a lot stranger than "heroes." Maybe they could call us "dissenters," but demons are supposed to be chaotic, right? Even though they march in formation and have a clear chain of command... I guess Sargeras is responsible for that.

Heroes might not be the BEST thing to call us, to be fair. Look at rogues and warlocks -- character archetypes in fantasy with deep, deep roots that portray them as questionably motivated. Not to mention we're really just a bunch of murder-hobos at heart, whether we're playing a demon hunter or a paladin.

But what else fits?

Alternatively they could just call us "Mortals" :P I mean it's not like only bad guys call us that..
10/03/2016 01:42 AMPosted by Akuza
Alternatively they could just call us "Mortals" :P I mean it's not like only bad guys call us that..

Be kinda weird for a Mortal Villain to call us Mortals though.
10/03/2016 03:27 AMPosted by Awkward
10/03/2016 01:42 AMPosted by Akuza

Be kinda weird for a Mortal Villain to call us Mortals though.

all the cool kids are doin it i guess
10/02/2016 11:05 PMPosted by Ryumaru
You know what's worse than villains calling us "mortal" all the time as a gender / race neutral moniker for players?

Heroes.

Why would anyone seriously refer to their opposition as heroes? The only NPC I've ever heard use it ironically is Nefarion. Everyone else uses it as straight faced as possible. No matter how "Evil" you are, the idea that you know you're evil and that your foes are heroes is just bad.

The best villains are those who think they are doing good from their perspective, not those people who actually assign the label of evil to themselves as if it were some sort of faction choice.

I imagine most of them either DO know they're evil and love it(the old gods, for instance). or are using the word "heroes" ironically, because they see you as weak, pathetic fools too stupid to understand that THEY are the real heroes.
10/02/2016 10:47 PMPosted by Talenel
FOOLISH MORTAL
-Every villain in this game

pls blizzard writers, stop

They all went to the Shao Khan school of nemesis dialogue.