Il'gynoth's Cryptic Whispers

Story Forum
1 2 3 20 Next
Far as I can tell there was no datamining previously about what, if anything, Il'gynoth says during the encounter in the Emerald Nightmare, so I can't verify if this is old or new or fake. These are being posted at SoL by user Shadowsong, and he's trustworthy.

Anyway, as befitting something Old God-ish, Il'gynoth seems to say some cryptic stuff (apparently when you're waiting to start the encounter).

"To find him, drown yourself in a circle of stars.

"The boy-king serves at the master's table. Three lies he will offer you."

"Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it."

"The lord of ravens will turn the key."

"The king of diamonds has been made a pawn."

2nd one is pretty clearly about Anduin. 3rd makes me think Sylvanas, but could be someone else perhaps (a part of me thought maybe Azeroth, but I imagine if her heart was "filled", it'd be game over for us already, right?)

King of Diamonds being a pawn may sound bad but, well, Magni was pretty upfront about doing Azeroth's will, if memory serves.
http://i.imgur.com/GFYKBR4.png

Another whisper:

Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path.

Ok, that is...worrying.

edit: Rest courtesy of Shadowsong:

http://i.imgur.com/pK7VDNO.png

-Flesh is his gift. He is your true creator.
My speculations:

1. Maybe this is referring to the a location in Suramar? The Nightborne have shown an interest in astrology (Star Augur Etraues, Court of Stars) and I think I remember hearing that N'zoth's prison was somewhere around there.

2. I think this could be alluding to Wrathion. Though his title is the Black Prince, maybe he felt he deserves the title of King. After all, he is the last black dragon, who have had a history of serving the Old Gods, who Xal'atath could be referring to as the master.

3. A tormented female character that felt dead inside, but was given a purpose by the Old Gods. This could mean that Sylvanas was somehow misled into pursuing immortality and power, which could be part of the Old God's plans. This could also be referring to Elerethe Renferal, who fell into despair after her death and then became empowered by the Old Gods.

4. Does this mean Medivh, or Lord Kur'talos? The Legion have shown interest in both, but I think it's more likely that Xal'atath is telling us that a treasure is to be found in Karazhan.

5. This could mean that Magni is being misled, somehow, or it could be referring to a yet to be revealed character. How interesting would it be, if Magni was actually being fooled by an Old God? We have seen that their influence still remains in Ulduar...
The Lord of Ravens sounds like Khadgar or Medivh. The boy-king is obviously Anduin. The woman in the 3rd quote could be any evil female that is still alive (Sylvanas, Azshara, etc.). The King of Diamonds is obviously Magni, but does Il'gynoth mean he's a pawn of Azeroth's world soul or N'Zoth?

09/20/2016 03:37 PMPosted by Cirno
http://i.imgur.com/GFYKBR4.png

Another whisper:

Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path.

Ok, that is...worrying.

edit: Rest courtesy of Shadowsong:

http://i.imgur.com/pK7VDNO.png

-Flesh is his gift. He is your true creator.
The first one sounds like the Pillars of Creation, but that doesn't make much sense. The 2nd one is referring to Yogg-Saron.
09/20/2016 03:46 PMPosted by Gromdar
1. Maybe this is referring to the a location in Suramar? The Nightborne have shown an interest in astrology (Star Augur Etraues, Court of Stars) and I think I remember hearing that N'zoth's prison was somewhere around there.

Ah, I had forgotten how star-oriented they are, that's very possible. And yeah memory serves the first volume of Chronicle showed that its prison is close by.

2. I think this could be alluding to Wrathion. Though his title is the Black Prince, maybe he felt he deserves the title of King. After all, he is the last black dragon, who have had a history of serving the Old Gods, who Xal'atath could be referring to as the master.

Possible, but Anduin feels more likely to me, since he actually is a boy-king (well he's an adult now, to be fair, but still young) and Wrathion was still just the prince last we saw him. Though what Wrathion has done in the past certainly has seemed to set things up well for the Old Gods (especially if that five keys one I posted is true).

4. Does this mean Medivh, or Lord Kur'talos? The Legion have shown interest in both, but I think it's more likely that Xal'atath is telling us that a treasure is to be found in Karazhan.

It may be pointing to whatever happens in Karazhan will be important, I think. Its been a long while, but wasn't there something about how some (or maybe all?) leylines come together under it?
09/20/2016 03:50 PMPosted by Mythelm
The first one sounds like the Pillars of Creation, but that doesn't make much sense. The 2nd one is referring to Yogg-Saron.

Well, all we know is that the Pillars are central to closing that rift that the Legion are using to pour through, right?

Honestly, just how much do we know about what we're messing with, really? And what can close a rift can almost certainly make it larger. And the Old Gods did try to use a Legion entrypoint in the past to free themselves.
The 'lord of ravens' could refer to Medivh or even Khadgar. And given the 'Five keys' whisper...

Kicking the Legion out is just going to open up another threat, isn't it
The raven line reminds me of that demon in the pre patch who said Medivh opened the way for the Legion.

Magni being a pawn is just them saying he serves the titan. They'd make it sound bad because they're against the titans

I feel like a lot of this is probably just pseudo-foreshadowy-but-not-really fluff like a lot of Old God quotes are.
I dunno. I usually go with that, too, but the bit about the pillars seems too specific. Plus it's a raid encounter, not some side item.
09/20/2016 03:31 PMPosted by Cirno

Alright, I'd rather this speculation not be true, but...

A crater shaped like Theramore?
09/20/2016 04:07 PMPosted by Kharinak

Alright, I'd rather this speculation not be true, but...

A crater shaped like Theramore?

...oh crap. Yeah, that...that's more fitting.

09/20/2016 03:59 PMPosted by Reignac
The raven line reminds me of that demon in the pre patch who said Medivh opened the way for the Legion.

I had thought it odd, that line. And we're returning to Karazhan, after all.

Magni being a pawn is just them saying he serves the titan. They'd make it sound bad because they're against the titans

Yeah that one didn't worry me much, though at the same time that is what set us on the path for the pillars of creation.

I feel like a lot of this is probably just pseudo-foreshadowy-but-not-really fluff like a lot of Old God quotes are.

Its possible but I dunno, like Waluthelia said, the key/pillar one is pretty spot on, number wise at least. And Xal'atath has been hinting at N'Zoth's activity.
''Her heart is a crater and we have filled it'' is either the Well of Eternity *aka meaning Azeroth since we know shes a female* or Theramore's RIP.

I think the Pillars of Creation one is the most directly hinting at things to come.
I'd link the crater more to the Well.
The Well isn't an actual crater, while Theramore and the rather large emptiness it left inside Jaina is obvious, least to me.
I'm on a tablet so pardon the lack of proper editing

"To find him, drown yourself in a circle of stars.
First thing that comes to mind when you say a circle of stars is a moon, looking up at a full moon, it's surrounded by stars. Implications that there's an Old God on one of Azeroth's moons?

First thought like others is Anduins, but to elaborate on the second half... He's a priest, priests are the only class with Void/Old God ties, he trained under Velen, who was pretty distraught and upset after the first scenario regarding Lights heart... Inb4 Velen goes super shadow priest

Magni referred to Azeroth as she, so I'm thinking she here is Azeroth, basically implying that the old gods have gotten deeper and deeper into the world soul while we've been busy with pandas, Garrosh, and demons

I agree this sounds like Khadgar will be doing something that will end up bad

Definitely has to be Magni, made a pawn though, maybe the voice Magni years isnt actually Azeroth...

"Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path"
That certainly sounds like The pillars of creation, leading to something devastating happening if used. The first guardian said something about not meddling with them for a reason

"Flesh is his gift. He is your true creator"
Clearly curse of flesh, sounds like Old Gods are coming, pick a side
09/20/2016 03:37 PMPosted by Cirno
http://i.imgur.com/GFYKBR4.pngAnother whisper:Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path.Ok, that is...worrying.

Why do I get the feeling that we are being tricked into using the Pillars of Creation?

Gul'dan sensed a power under the Tomb of Sargeras yet we don't have actual confirmation that it is Sargeras himself....

You want to know what's a crater? Theramore. Do you want to know who held Theramore close to her heart? Jaina. Do you want to know whose heart is a crater now? Jaina's.

Jaina confirmed corrupted by old gods?

Anduin? Wrathion?

I REALLY hope it's not Jaina...

Ravenholdt? Ravencrest? Odyn?

Obviously Magni.
Hmm..

I'd like to point out that the Old God minions directly had possession of two of the pillars, and gave them back to the player (or allowed them to be reclaimed).

Wrath of Azshara, who if I recall reassembled the Aszuna one..

And Xavius, who flat out gave it back.
Omg much hype Old gods yay