Why Are Legendaries So Rare?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
TL/DR: Increase pity timer. We have been playing for a while now. Remember - the next raid/tier is *balanced* around everyone having one.

The whole thing reminds me of the ROS beta.

Blizzard: "We want legendaries to feel rare and powerful".

Players: "Well, what about those of us who are perennially unlucky? Are we ever going to reach a point where we just...never see one?".

Blizzard then talked about the pity timer and hesitantly described it as 'a few hours'. Some beta testers posted and said that they had gone 10+ hours without seeing one...which was initially laughed at, then admitted and finally legendary droprates were increased and increased again. Which was, for the most part, very positively received - because while RNG can be fun to a point, it reaches a point of frustration.

WoW will always be an RNG game to a degree, but never to the extent of an ARPG. Legion already has a *lot* of RNG on top of RNG with the whole titanforged system, extra stats and sockets. Legendaries on top of this...are a bit much.

We are already restricted to 2, max equipped. I understand them not wanting legendaries to rain from the sky, but I've played my DH for over a month and haven't missed a single emissary quest, as well as doing quite a few on alts. And I've yet to see a legendary.

Wasn't our first legendary supposed to be 'timely' and not be a gigantic slog?
because they're legondaries?

They should be rarer honestly. Something you get after months of work at an expansion.
Why is the drop rate so low for diamond rings when I'm metal detecting on a public beach?
10/04/2016 07:05 AMPosted by Dbrb
because they're legondaries?

They should be rarer honestly. Something you get after months of work at an expansion.

How is RNG 'work'?

We aren't working towards anything. We aren't farming a currency. We aren't learning a boss. We are hoping we get lucky.

10/04/2016 07:10 AMPosted by Farnswörth
Why is the drop rate so low for diamond rings when I'm metal detecting on a public beach?

Because real life doesn't need to be tuned for the enjoyment of it's playerbase?
Why not just ask them to show up in our mail box?

I feel like Legendaries could have worked if Blizz could have relied on blissful ignorance. You know that, "Holy crap, look what I found!" moment?

The malfunctioning pity timer and the forum rage is all an outcome of Blizzard setting the expectation that you're supposed to have one.
Rare? Why in my guild of only 500 players at least two of them have one.
Where is this quote from saying next raid is balance around everyone having a legendary? When I tried to research this topic, I just found a post saying the first tier of raids were balanced around no one having a legendary.
If legendary items were not rare they wouldn't be legendary items.
10/04/2016 07:14 AMPosted by Mvura
The malfunctioning pity timer and the forum rage is all an outcome of Blizzard setting the expectation that you're supposed to have one.

Blizzard have strongly implied that later tiers are balanced around people having one.

10/04/2016 07:17 AMPosted by Shiruyumi
Where is this quote from saying next raid is balance around everyone having a legendary? When I tried to research this topic, I just found a post saying the first tier of raids were balanced around no one having a legendary.

It was a tweet, which makes it hard to dig up. I remember them saying that Nighthold was balanced around legendaries. But I could be mistaken and it's next tier.

Even if it's next tier...what about people who don't get one before then? You are unlucky - therefore don't bother trying to raid the current tier until you are?
[quote="207479775595"]

Because real life doesn't need to be tuned for the enjoyment of it's playerbase?

Must one have an orange item for the enjoyment of the game? It has not been so in my case. I imagine I will be pleasantly surprised "IF" I get one.
TL/DR: Remember - the next raid/tier is *balanced* around everyone having one.

Got a link to confirm this statement? Maybe it's balanced like that for Mythic but I highly doubt that Normal/Heroic will 'require' everyone to have a Legendary.
10/04/2016 06:58 AMPosted by Lóst
Remember - the next raid/tier is *balanced* around everyone having one.

Good news everyone! The next raid with the tier doesn't come till February.
because they are Legend wait for it.....
10/04/2016 07:21 AMPosted by Lóst
10/04/2016 07:14 AMPosted by Mvura

Blizzard have strongly implied that later tiers are balanced around people having one.

10/04/2016 07:17 AMPosted by Shiruyumi

It was a tweet, which makes it hard to dig up. I remember them saying that Nighthold was balanced around legendaries. But I could be mistaken and it's next tier.

Even if it's next tier...what about people who don't get one before then? You are unlucky - therefore don't bother trying to raid the current tier until you are?

Nighthold is the 3rd raid iirc
idk if Trial of Valor (or w.e the 2nd raid is called) will be balanced around them or not though
10/04/2016 07:25 AMPosted by Sevaira
Good news everyone! The next raid with the tier doesn't come till February.

I also bet that alot of people will still never see one by then
ary
Well, since people dislike my comment, here's a page with a dev interview:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5756-Legion-Summit-Dev-Interviews

The first tier is balanced around most players not having a legendary item.
Later tiers will be tuned around most players having a legendary item.
TL/DR: Increase pity timer. We have been playing for a while now. Remember - the next raid/tier is *balanced* around everyone having one.

When do you think the next raid tier will be out? The first tier isn't even entirely out yet! We've got plenty of time.

Yep - that's exactly what I mean. The legendaries are also in the dungeon journal.

I think they mistakenly tried to leverage the legendaries as motivators. If they had not balanced any content around them nor implied that we were definitely going to get one (i.e. "most people should have one by EN"), then I don't think people would be feeling quite as pinched as they are.

I could be wrong.
10/04/2016 07:25 AMPosted by Sevaira
Remember - the next raid/tier is *balanced* around everyone having one.

Good news everyone!

Who's the professor here?!?