Ysera corruption

General Discussion
10/04/2016 05:02 AMPosted by Melverina
10/04/2016 04:59 AMPosted by Specula
Since it means abandoning the front line of her own Temple of Elune while the other priestesses get slaughtered by demons and nightmare creatures alike to go screaming through the woods in tears looking for her useless, rage-addled husband.

She didn't abandoned the Temple. You fought along side her when Ysera attacks the Temple. She was right in the cut scene.

She only left the Temple after it was safe to hunt down Xavius.

The battle didn't end there, nor was she there previously when it was being decimated. She was at that time, off trying to find her husband.
We are not immortal, however, and can be killed about as easily as any other race.

Immortal means two things.

One of those things applies to Draenei. The other doesn't. This isn't a new thing.

10/04/2016 04:50 AMPosted by Pouncey
He... assumed Ysera would overcome... the player characters...

Does he not know our reputation at this point or something? Does he assume we're just random soldiers?

He probably doesn't know our reputation, because all of the major conflicts we have been involved in did not involve him or the Nightmare. We didn't participate in the War of the Ancients. We didn't participate in the War of the Nightmare. (Actually, we probably fought for him in the latter conflict, as Sleepers, if we did participate.)

The various raid bosses and villains so far haven't had a lot of contact with Xavius, and his information network on Azeroth proper was mostly limited to corrupted druids and the Dragons of Nightmare.

Welp, then he's gonna find out too late, because the next time he sees us we'll be turning him into swiss cheese with a very high efficiency rating.

Oh wait, the raiders already are.

Problem solved I guess.

10/04/2016 04:53 AMPosted by Pouncey
There is a species of jellyfish IRL that can live forever because its aging cycle just starts over once it reaches the end. So long as nothing kills it, it can live forever. It is said to be immortal.

Draenei are immortal in the same way (though not for the same biological reason).

We have tentacles. We might actually be spacejellyfish who only evolved goat-like attributes in response to climate changes on land.

Earth is not actually a part of the Warcraft universe. Draenei are from Argus. Draenei are not Jellyfish. What the hell is wrong with you.
10/04/2016 05:09 AMPosted by Zephyrs
10/04/2016 04:50 AMPosted by Pouncey
If I knew the player's history as a villain in WoW, and they got involved in one of my plans, I would immediately assume that they're probably going to kill pretty much anything I have in that plan. Because the player is the ultimate badass killing machine of WoW. Every zone they travel to and explore they end up killing at least a thousand people and large beasts on their own. By the time of Val'sharah the player character has so many kills of such a wide variety of creatures under their belt that if Xavius knew the player's history at all, even just the notable stuff, he would assume Ysera's about to die.

The "immortals" of WoW have a pathological inability to respect characters whom they believe to be "mortals." You can hear it in their sneering, contemptuous tone every time they address us. No matter what we do, they will always underestimate and overlook us. That is, until they're caught in another immortal's trap, at which time they'll gladly accept our help, but then go right back to being insufferable.

(I'm pretty sure we're not actually mortals - demon hunters are now canonically immortal, and the rest of us respawn exactly the same way they do, so we probably have immortal souls as well, demon or otherwise. But we look like standard mortals.)

Draenei actually can't die of old age. Is that immortal enough?

Also, I brought up that same point after I first made a Demon Hunter. The Story forum essentially declared that even though Demon Hunter respawns and other classes respawns work the exact same way, only Demon Hunter ones were happening for real.

My protests that identical things should be identical went ignored, because sometimes the Story forums only care about what is and not what should be. Like, all the time, really. You ever want to know what was written, go ask the Story forums. You want to have a discussion on what would make sense? Avoid the story forum at all cost, they give zero feths about that.

10/04/2016 05:09 AMPosted by Sulakin
10/04/2016 04:10 AMPosted by Pouncey
So, uh, I have a question about all that stuff that happened in those cutscenes...

The Shade of Xavius can grow a crystal from his hand to throw at Ysera which corrupts her within a few moments and makes her become a Nightmare Dragon.

Why didn't he grow another crystal and corrupt Malfurion in the same way?

I mean, there was nothing we could do to cleanse Ysera, it literally took the power of Elune to do that, so Malfurion would be doomed.

Is this another point to the "Malfurion is a Sith Lord" theory?

And I swear to god, if you TRY to tell me Malfurion is more powerful than Ysera, I will flip you off through my screen because every violent metaphor I imagined for slapping you silly is impossible due to the fact I'm posting this on the Internet.

did you actually follow the quests ??, the crystal he threw at her was teh Tear of Elune , he didnt just grow it

Considering it looked completely different, no, I didn't catch the part of the quest where they described that the object he threw at her was the tear of elune.

Also, if I was there to get the tear of elune from the night elf temple, why the hell did I dink around so much trying to help Cenarius? None of the allies I gathered were of any help in going after the tear, and I could've just gone up to the temple and gotten it before Xavius was even there?

Makes no. God. Damned. Sense.
10/04/2016 05:15 AMPosted by Pouncey
Earth is not actually a part of the Warcraft universe. Draenei are from Argus. Draenei are not Jellyfish. What the hell is wrong with you.

Earth is definitely part of the Warcraft universe. One of our presidential candidates is a dreadlord trying to undermine our world in preparation for the Legion's invasion.

Which one? Who knows. Probably all of them, actually.
10/04/2016 05:26 AMPosted by Allialara
10/04/2016 05:15 AMPosted by Pouncey

Earth is definitely part of the Warcraft universe. One of our presidential candidates is a dreadlord trying to undermine our world in preparation for the Legion's invasion.

Which one? Who knows. Probably all of them, actually.

:: slams face against desk in frustration ::

:: limpness ::

:: blood pool moving out from where face is ::
10/04/2016 03:53 AMPosted by Rhuckus
Then his wife has the audacity to threaten us for trying to help.

For some reason, I've never like Tyrande in warcraft. She is just so... bleh. At least Sylvannis is loads more interesting.
Summary of Event:

A (now slightly less than) all powerful dragon gets owned by an evil goat throwing a rock.

Irrespective of the desire to impart a recent and profound sense of vulnerability in the dragon aspects, this was an ignoble demise of positively ludicrous proportions.

This did not inspire a sense of pathos or loss in me. Instead it engendered nigh overwhelming levels of incredulity and a lingering sense of contempt for the ridiculous disposal of previously weighty literary assets.

I'm all for the slow degradation of our world as it spirals into corruption and chaos, it enables us "mere mortals", as it were, to be in a position to take greater responsibility and have more impact on our existence! However this particular event was, to me, singularly unimpressive.

Were Warcraft my own creation, I would be inclined to try and have a little more respect for the integral elements in the world of my weaving.
10/04/2016 04:10 AMPosted by Pouncey
So, uh, I have a question about all that stuff that happened in those cutscenes...

The Shade of Xavius can grow a crystal from his hand to throw at Ysera which corrupts her within a few moments and makes her become a Nightmare Dragon.

Why didn't he grow another crystal and corrupt Malfurion in the same way?

I mean, there was nothing we could do to cleanse Ysera, it literally took the power of Elune to do that, so Malfurion would be doomed.

Is this another point to the "Malfurion is a Sith Lord" theory?

And I swear to god, if you TRY to tell me Malfurion is more powerful than Ysera, I will flip you off through my screen because every violent metaphor I imagined for slapping you silly is impossible due to the fact I'm posting this on the Internet.

The "Crystal" he threw was the Tears of Elune. The Pillar of creation we were sent to obtain.

He corrupted it using his mastery of the Nightmare, and using its power combined with his also corrupted Ysera, who is probably the creature most likely to be vulnerable to Nightmare corruption on the entire planet due to her close link to The Dream.

What bothers me about this whole thing is that, the Nightmare was originally an Old God thing... and now it's tied to the Legion because reasons...?
10/04/2016 05:48 AMPosted by Koralyon
What bothers me about this whole thing is that, the Nightmare was originally an Old God thing... and now it's tied to the Legion because reasons...?

Its tied because Xavius is the link. He was one of the many Highborn who swore allegiance to the Legion.

Even after being in the Dream he was still loyal to the Legion.
She was corrupted so we could have the pleasure of killing the 4th dragon aspect. We got to kill maly, future infinite nozdormu, and deathwing. Finally got Ysera! cant wait to kill Alexstrasza, the last of the aspects. >:D
10/04/2016 05:55 AMPosted by Melverina
10/04/2016 05:48 AMPosted by Koralyon

Its tied because Xavius is the link. He was one of the many Highborn who swore allegiance to the Legion.

Malfurion seems to believe that Xavius is tricking the Legion, and is still working for N'zoth. Why the Legion would allow it is anyone's guess. Maybe they plan to betray him like he planned to betray them.

10/04/2016 05:38 AMPosted by Anaerys
Summary of Event:

A (now slightly less than) all powerful dragon gets owned by an evil goat throwing a rock.

... All-powerful? The Aspects were never all-powerful. Not even when they were Aspects. And what they lost is pretty major.

Aspects ranked significantly below quite a few things we've already beaten - and two of those things were Aspects, fought at the very center of their power (Malygos within his special Mana Eye, and Reverse-Nozdormu, within the Bronze shrine, at a timeline he personally created). Deathwing doesn't really count, considering that he was stronger than the rest combined, but beaten with the help of an artifact.

They're even slightly below Keepers like Thorim, Odyn, and Loken - since the Keeper Tyr is the one who empowered them in the first place. And those Keepers are corrupted all the time.

Meanwhile, Xavius was one of the most powerful mages in Azeroth's history, who THEN became the first of a new sort of demon, and THEN got empowered by the Old Gods and gained full dominion of the Nightmare - something they created to corrupt the Emerald Dream.

Never mind that "power levels" don't matter in WoW, and someone suitably clever, or armed with the right artifact (and the Tear of Elune very much counts) can overcome much stronger opponents. Xavius is unambiguously stronger than the currently depowered Ysera by any metric. If she's the ruler of the dream, and he's the ruler of the Nightmare, and the Nightmare kept consistently gaining ground even back when she was immortal, well...
10/04/2016 06:10 AMPosted by Sylassanna

Malfurion seems to believe that Xavius is tricking the Legion, and is still working for N'zoth.

Summary of Event:

... All-powerful? The Aspects were never all-powerful. Not even when they were Aspects.

They rank significantly below quite a few things we've already beaten - and two of those things were Aspects, fought at the very center of their power (Malygos within his special Mana Eye, and Reverse-Nozdormu, within the Bronze shrine, at a timeline he personally created).

I still think it's funny when, back in WotLK, you do a ritual to reveal who is behind the Infinite Dragonflight, and it reveals Nozdormu... and everyone is all "Oh, that just means he's alive!"

Meanwhile I'm banging my head against the keyboard, because I've seen this movie, and I know that when the ritual says "HE'S THE BADGUY!!!" He's almost always the badguy.
10/04/2016 03:44 AMPosted by Zmora
Alright I feel it was a really poor display overall... Ysera an aspect of the green Dragon Flights gets ownd by shade of xavius with the help of corrupted tears of Elune...

I mean I felt it was super underwhelming that the aspect just went down like that Ysera should have had a much more Grand end if anything and not appear so weak and vulnerable...

Seemingly malfurion just runs in and gets rooted and is xavius little B****, these Legendary characters that are the leaders of the their areas (Green Dragon flight and Druids) are shown to be extreamely WEAK....

I just feel justice has not been made for these characters.

At least Deathwing vs Alextraza(sp?) was much more fitting where both suffered greatly but deathwing wins presumingly because of Old Gods enhanced powers...

One flaw in that. all the dragons including the aspects are mortal now.
10/04/2016 06:10 AMPosted by Sylassanna

Malfurion seems to believe that Xavius is tricking the Legion, and is still working for N'zoth. Why the Legion would allow it is anyone's guess. Maybe they plan to betray him like he planned to betray them.

Summary of Event:

... All-powerful? The Aspects were never all-powerful. Not even when they were Aspects. And what they lost is pretty major.

Aspects ranked significantly below quite a few things we've already beaten - and two of those things were Aspects, fought at the very center of their power (Malygos within his special Mana Eye, and Reverse-Nozdormu, within the Bronze shrine, at a timeline he personally created). Deathwing doesn't really count, considering that he was stronger than the rest combined, but beaten with the help of an artifact.

They're even slightly below Keepers like Thorim, Odyn, and Loken - since the Keeper Tyr is the one who empowered them in the first place. And those Keepers are corrupted all the time.

Meanwhile, Xavius was one of the most powerful mages in Azeroth's history, who THEN became the first of a new sort of demon, and THEN got empowered by the Old Gods and gained full dominion of the Nightmare - something they created to corrupt the Emerald Dream.

Never mind that "power levels" don't matter in WoW, and someone suitably clever, or armed with the right artifact (and the Tear of Elune very much counts) can overcome much stronger opponents. Xavius is unambiguously stronger than the currently depowered Ysera by any metric. If she's the ruler of the dream, and he's the ruler of the Nightmare, and the Nightmare kept consistently gaining ground even back when she was immortal, well...

That is a possibility that the loyalty is a front.

However, the Old God's goal is to corrupt Azeroth's world soul, while the Legion plans on destroying it.

Might be the Old Gods would use the Legion to a point to destroy Azeroth's defenders. They tried to stop the players from saving Magni Bronzebeard from the Legion.

For the Nightmare part, I read that it wasn't Xavius the one who first corrupted the dream. When Yogg-Saron infected the world Tree Vordrassil, it gained a direct connection to the Emerald Dream. Even after the druids destroyed Vordrassil, the seeds of corruption was there. There seems to be a connection with all the Old Gods as after that at least two of them are known to have some corruption to the Dream.
When the Legion was invading the first time, they had to trust Deathwing's crazy scheme with the Dragon Soul because they knew they stood no chance on their own.

In Northrend, Alexstrasza was a known and active enemy of the Lich King, but she never risked confronting him in person. She didn't even approach the Wrathgate until he left the scene.

The Aspects had no inscrutable and god-like reason for not acting against Evil Things in the past - they flat out couldn't, without risking death. Or they even flat out did, and failed.

They've never been all-powerful, or unstoppable. And at this point, they're little more than just strong dragons. One of the ex-aspects is a CLASS HALL FOLLOWER, even if he is not one of the original 5.

And the power these Pillars of Creation wield over other things empowered by Titans is also established. Deathwing himself was banished from his own lair, just because a Survival Hunter waved a hammer in his direction and yelled loudly.
10/04/2016 04:38 AMPosted by Melverina
[spoilers!]My only issue regarding the Nightmare is that it was stated in the quest line that no one is redeemable once corrupted, hence Ysera. But in the end of the Nightmare raid, everyone corrupted became purified by Malfurion and by killing Xavius.
Elune herself cleansed Ysera from her corruption so i can only assume that in her pure dream form, now cleansed by what is arguably one of the strongest (if not the strongest, we still don't know who exactly elune is) beings in the Warcraft universe, she probably now has the ability to cleanse others from corruption.

as for Malfurion cleansing things, i can only assume it's because the mobs he cleanses in the Cenarius fight aren't technically born yet so there's maybe some loophole to the whole "no one can be cleansed from nightmare" scenario.
10/04/2016 03:44 AMPosted by Zmora
Alright I feel it was a really poor display overall... Ysera an aspect of the green Dragon Flights gets ownd by shade of xavius with the help of corrupted tears of Elune...

I mean I felt it was super underwhelming that the aspect just went down like that Ysera should have had a much more Grand end if anything and not appear so weak and vulnerable...

Seemingly malfurion just runs in and gets rooted and is xavius little B****, these Legendary characters that are the leaders of the their areas (Green Dragon flight and Druids) are shown to be extreamely WEAK....

I just feel justice has not been made for these characters.

At least Deathwing vs Alextraza(sp?) was much more fitting where both suffered greatly but deathwing wins presumingly because of Old Gods enhanced powers...

Or perhaps Xavius was too strong?
Characters are as powerful as required to move the plot in the direction Blizzard wants.

No character has a consistent "power level". Blizzard can talk about how powerful X is one expansion then in the next he gets killed by a boar or something.

You new to this game?
Didn't really give that "epic" type feel. A lot of the stuff involving certain heroes dying off . Seems like they took the easy way out of it.
10/04/2016 04:08 AMPosted by Petersen
What bothers me is the bolt was slow, and she had *plenty* of time to, I dunno, list gracefully to the right and avoid it completely?

Dragons and True Born Starks don't zigzag.