Classic Server Update

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 451 Next
I feel like this guy atm, chucking water with my posts, but it's made useless by a huge fire.

http://i.imgur.com/ViaVpKP.jpg
The signatures were to get Blizzard to notice. Given there has been

(a) 2 responses from J Allen Brack , Executive Producer and Vice President for World of Warcraft
(b) A visit to Blizzard from the Nost team
(c) A visit from an old member of the original wow dev team to Mike Morhaime

I would say Blizzard have certainly noticed.

Making any and all talk about how many signatures were valid & if they could be forged or not completely irrelevant.

Blizzard have sat up and taken notice which is what the entire point of the signatures was.
10/25/2016 12:13 AMPosted by Heradura
10/24/2016 03:00 PMPosted by Ornyx
-J. Allen Brack

What makes you think anyone concerned with legacy WoW gives a damn about any word that oozes out of your ignorant mouth? That bridge is burnt, and you taint any sense of good will we're expected to swallow from Blizzard regarding the subject when your name is attached to it.

And you people wonder why they aren't listening or agreeing with you. (and why they don't post on the forums as often as they use to)
Where is the flood of ignorant blizzard fan-bois on the diablo forums complaining that D2 is still being maintained and that focus isn't being 100% placed on D3. The logic that Vanilla wow would take away from Legion makes me so mad. I can guarantee you legacy servers would make enough money to sustain themselves and not take any current resources from retail. Just like diablo 2 isn't harming diablo 3
Yes it would, it would costs time, money, and labor for very little, if any kind of, gain.

Where's your empirical data to suggest there would be no gain?
10/25/2016 12:22 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
The signatures were to get Blizzard to notice. Given there has been

(a) 2 responses from J Allen Brack , Executive Producer and Vice President for World of Warcraft
(b) A visit to Blizzard from the Nost team
(c) A visit from an old member of the original wow dev team to Mike Morhaime

I would say Blizzard have certainly noticed.

Making any and all talk about how many signatures were valid & if they could be forged or not completely irrelevant.

Blizzard have sat up and taken notice which is what the entire point of the signatures was.

Very true, but the point of a lot of the posts before it got de-railed by said argument was.. When ARE we going to hear anything about Legacy; they said after blizzcon, but that could be anywhere from an hour after blizzcon to a month to an entire year!
10/25/2016 12:23 AMPosted by Yagsick
Where is the flood of ignorant blizzard fan-bois on the diablo forums complaining that D2 is still being maintained and that focus isn't being 100% placed on D3. The logic that Vanilla wow would take away from Legion makes me so mad. I can guarantee you legacy servers would make enough money to sustain themselves and not take any current resources from retail. Just like diablo 2 isn't harming diablo 3

The difference really is that Diablo 2 was a separate game from D3 to begin with and doesn't really require much maintenance to keep it around.
10/25/2016 12:24 AMPosted by Moltres
Yes it would, it would costs time, money, and labor for very little, if any kind of, gain.

Nost was free to play, you honestly think everyone from nost is going to pay for legacy servers?
Well that\s extremely disappointing to know the meeting months ago had no effect and really was just a PR stunt. But I'm glad to know I needn't bother following Blizzcon or ordering the stream coverage.

I guess I should be happier knowing it looks like Nostalrius will be back. I really wanted official legacy so I could rest easy knowing its real and not going anywhere. But private is actually a much better and bigger community. I love meeting and making new friends from literally every country in the world. Plus not paying money's always nice (even though I'd be willing to pay about $50 a month at this point). But maybe Nost will reactivate the servers as they were at the end, our characters still alive and all. Guess we'll see soon. Hell maybe even sooner thanks to Blizz not waiting till Blizzcon to deny us!
Nost was free to play, you honestly think everyone from nost is going to pay for legacy servers?

The survey Nost took after the shutdown and presented in-depth at the meeting with Blizzard clearly illustrated the willingness of the vast majority to pay a monthly fee.
10/25/2016 12:27 AMPosted by Âthiest

I think a good number of them would yes. Obviously not all.

I can't say with certainty how many would pay. But why is it people on your side say with certainty that no one would pay for a product they want?

Stop stating something you can't possibly know.
<span class="truncated">...</span> Nost was free to play, you honestly think everyone from nost is going to pay for legacy servers?

The survey Nost took after the shutdown and presented in-depth at the meeting with Blizzard clearly illustrated the willingness of the vast majority to pay a monthly fee.
Which doesnt mean anything because the " vast majority" is just a minority to Blizz and would be a waste of resources.
10/25/2016 12:29 AMPosted by Aryá
Well that\s extremely disappointing to know the meeting months ago had no effect and really was just a PR stunt.

That seems like an awful lot of reading between the lines.

I don't know why people want Classic WoW so bad. If it's a desire to see and quest in the old pre-Cataclysm World, I understand that and would love to myself. But the classes have changed irrevocably from Classic WoW to now, and there's also the fact that it was new then.

I think Classic Servers would be a tremendous waste of time to be honest because of that. A better solution IMHO which I have said many times is this. Make a Caverns of Time Portal to Old Azeroth, lock people to level 60 when travelling old Azeroth, and call it a day.

Then add Timewalker Classic Dungeons and most camps are satisfied?

Well I can dream that most people would be satisfied anyways..
10/25/2016 12:32 AMPosted by Moltres

I think a good number of them would yes. Obviously not all.

I can't say with certainty how many would pay. But why is it people on your side say with certainty that no one would pay for a product they want?

Stop stating something you can't possibly know.

Yeah id agree, There are plenty of F2P MMORPGS on the internet without the popularity of Classic Wow. Nost/Kronos rose partially due to WOD's miscues (which Legion has done a lot to address) , but a large contribution to its popularity was a genuine desire to experience again/for the first time.

Its still an extraordinary journey (nostalgia aside)

Id gladly pay a one time fee or a small monthly subscription fee.
10/25/2016 12:33 AMPosted by Âthiest

Which doesnt mean anything because the " vast majority" is just a minority to Blizz and would be a waste of resources.

Ah, I mistook you for someone actually interested in a real discussion, willing to take actual information into account. But I see now you're just here to troll, because the thought of people enjoying something you don't is just unacceptable.
... Which doesnt mean anything because the " vast majority" is just a minority to Blizz and would be a waste of resources.

Ah, I mistook you for someone actually interested in a real discussion, willing to take actual information into account. But I see now you're just here to troll, because the thought of people enjoying something you don't is just unacceptable.

Disagreement with your opinion does not equal trolling. Please post more constructively if you want to discuss specifics.
10/25/2016 12:25 AMPosted by Choten
The difference really is that Diablo 2 was a separate game from D3 to begin with and doesn't really require much maintenance to keep it around.

Well yeah, but to maintain D2 servers would require people. I can't imagine maintaining a single legacy server would be a lot more difficult than D2 servers. Plus you can still play D2.

Nost was also a private server, do you honestly think everyone interested in vanilla would play on a private server?

Where's your data to give that argument? While I get your point, the thing is that these will be SANCTIONED servers, meaning no risk of losing progress due to a cease and desist order. That would most likely attract a good amount of people; Hell, again, a lot of people came back for ARR after FFXIV completely bombed, despite the fact that ARR was a subscription game at launch and STILL IS, and that almost never happens; an example is AC:U , it had numerous problems at launch, and despite most of them being fixed now, it never recovered. Infact, it bombed so badly that there hasn't been a single AC game with such extensive multiplayer since Unity; If you want an MMO example, turn your gaze to Warhammer Online; It had SO MANY PROBLEMS at release date and never recovered, hemorhaging so many subscribers after a short period. By contrast, World of Warcraft reached a record low number of subscribers at the end of Warlords, and yet sold 3.3 MILLION COPIES ON LAUNCH DAY! Soooo why wouldn't vanilla have alot of people willing to sub again?

Well yeah, but to maintain D2 servers would require people. I can't imagine maintaining a single legacy server would be a lot more difficult than D2 servers. Plus you can still play D2.

[/quote]

The difference is that WoW is a MMO and D2 is not. MMOs (or at least active ones) require something more than a skeleton crew to keep running.
10/25/2016 12:25 AMPosted by Talaerus
Very true, but the point of a lot of the posts before it got de-railed by said argument was.. When ARE we going to hear anything about Legacy; they said after blizzcon, but that could be anywhere from an hour after blizzcon to a month to an entire year!

exactly