Classic Server Update

General Discussion
Prev 1 22 23 24 451 Next
10/25/2016 12:27 AMPosted by Âthiest
Nost was free to play, you honestly think everyone from nost is going to pay for legacy servers?

Technically people were paying for Nost.

They were giving Nost donations to keep their servers running. Just before they got their C & D from Blizzard their servers were all paid up 3 months ahead.
10/25/2016 12:42 AMPosted by Bluspacecow

They were giving Nost donations to keep their servers running. Just before they got their C & D from Blizzard their servers were all paid up 3 months ahead.
And they were losing money.
10/25/2016 12:27 AMPosted by Âthiest
Nost was free to play, you honestly think everyone from nost is going to pay for legacy servers?

That's still beside the point. What started this whole flame war is "When are we going to hear about Legacy servers?" Because after Blizzcon is pretty vague at best in a timeline sense; We've been waiting atleast SIX MONTHS!
If you told me I could play on a Blizzard Legacy Server for less than $10 a month I would in a heartbeat
10/25/2016 12:44 AMPosted by Âthiest

Wrong. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Don't spread misinformation to further your agenda.
10/25/2016 12:38 AMPosted by Ilius

Ah, I mistook you for someone actually interested in a real discussion, willing to take actual information into account. But I see now you're just here to troll, because the thought of people enjoying something you don't is just unacceptable.

Disagreement with your opinion does not equal trolling. Please post more constructively if you want to discuss specifics.

No it doesn't. But blatantly ignoring and brushing off real evidence of how many people would be willing to pay because it doesn't suit your cause certainly does.

Lets say only 50% of Nost players would pay the current monthly WoW fee. (Which is a ridiculously small estimation) And for now we'll ignore all the other people official, legal, advertised legacy servers would attract. That's over 400k people, paying at least $15 a month. That's 6 million dollars a month for a service that a handful of guys pulled off using only a few thousand bucks they could pool up from working regular day jobs.

To suggest its not worth Blizzards time from a monetary stand point is just factually wrong. It's a very tired argument that I'm shocked to see still perpetuated.

Disagreement with your opinion does not equal trolling. Please post more constructively if you want to discuss specifics.

No it doesn't. But blatantly ignoring and brushing off real evidence of how many people would be willing to pay because it doesn't suit your cause certainly does.

Lets say only 50% of Nost players would pay the current monthly WoW fee. (Which is a ridiculously small estimation) And for now we'll ignore all the other people official, legal, advertised legacy servers would attract. That's over 400k people, paying at least $15 a month. That's 6 million dollars a month for a service that a handful of guys pulled off using only a few thousand bucks they could pool up from working regular day jobs.

To suggest its not worth Blizzards time from a monetary stand point is just factually wrong. It's a very tired argument that I'm shocked to see still perpetuated.

I hope you saw my vociferous posts about the monetary stuff. The data that I have gathered really does suggest that this would actually be a profitable venture for blizzard.
10/25/2016 12:44 AMPosted by Âthiest

They were self funding bro, It was a massive project for a amount of people working on it. The finished product they were able to create was quite good.

I dont think you can say blizzard will lose money on this without any facts to back that up. Furthermore, production costs shouldn't be liken to making a new game; the game already exists. Blizzard has also stated that they still posses the source code for it. I understand Blizz is a business that needs to turn a profit. I believe you are underestimating the amount of people who would come back to the game for Legacy realms.
10/25/2016 12:49 AMPosted by Aryá
And where's your data to disprove my argument that it's not a gain in profits for blizz?
Almost everyone that starts playing on legacy servers will hit a brief feel of nostalgia and then the hype will die off because vanilla was literal !@#$ tier mmo. It just had a place in people's hearts that no other game could replace.
Almost everyone that starts playing on legacy servers with hit a brief feel of nostalgia and then the hype will die off because vanilla was literal !@#$ tier mmo. It just had a place in people's hearts that no other game could replace.
but but my nostalgia will make legacy servers a huuuge profit man.
10/24/2016 03:00 PMPosted by Ornyx
Hey everyone,

We’ve seen some talk among the community that you might be expecting to hear some news on legacy servers at BlizzCon, and we just wanted to take a moment to let you know that while we’re still discussing the possibility, we won’t have any updates to share on that until after the show.

These past few months we’ve been laser-focused on the launch of Legion and getting Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan ready to go (it’s almost here!), as well as prepping for BlizzCon—which is always a huge undertaking itself. You’ve heard us say that the launch of Legion was just the beginning of the story we want to tell in this expansion. What we will focus on at BlizzCon is how the team is committed to making sure we bring you a steady stream of content going forward, and we can’t wait to share what’s next for Legion.

Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you at BlizzCon.

-J. Allen Brack and the World of Warcraft development team

In otherwords the 2 and half hours that WoW gets out of the 3 days BlizzCon goes will really be nothing of interest. Just more of the same.
10/25/2016 12:51 AMPosted by Washingtonzz
I believe you are underestimating the amount of people who would come back to the game for Legacy realms.

I see so many comments on youtube like "I haven't played wow since wrath, but would love to play a legacy server".
10/25/2016 12:54 AMPosted by Âthiest
And where's your data to disprove my argument that it's not a gain in profits for blizz?

If the survery and my basic yet logical math estimation doesn't do it, I guess you'll need to rely on common sense?

This argument is like you trying to say the ocean doesn't contain salt. I don't quite have the tools or means of presenting you the absolute scientific facts proving it, but god damn it shouldn't it be obvious?
10/25/2016 12:56 AMPosted by Chickeneater
Almost everyone that starts playing on legacy servers will hit a brief feel of nostalgia and then the hype will die off because vanilla was literal !@#$ tier mmo. It just had a place in people's hearts that no other game could replace.

It's not nostalgia, for me its more about how the class's used to be and how they worked with one and other. I enjoyed my class back then instead of it being a full time job.
10/25/2016 12:56 AMPosted by Chickeneater

Yeah look at Wildstar. The MMO that tried to replicate vanilla WoW.

Crashed and burned, baby.

Vanilla was a success because it was better and more casual than Everquest. The times have changed and "being better than Everquest" isn't going to cut it anymore.
10/25/2016 12:54 AMPosted by Âthiest

How is it not a gain in profits? Like... The content is already developed. They have to pay to maintain a couple servers. If a few neckbeards managed to maintain it then it's kind of hard to argue that Blizzard couldn't.
Yeah because 400k would only play wow for legacy servers, be more realistic here.
I hate how this isn't a Yes or No, this is we might have something after blizzcon, who knows. soon TM.
10/25/2016 01:02 AMPosted by Âthiest
Yeah because 400k would only play wow for legacy servers, be more realistic here.

400k x $14.99 per month = $5,996,000 - There is money to be made.