Classic Server Update

General Discussion
Prev 1 24 25 26 451 Next
10/25/2016 01:19 AMPosted by Hellasha
If the servers were going to be closed because costs couldn't be met then obviously they weren't throwing enough money at them. Again this is all from others who have posted on these forums.

This is a misconception.

They were paid up 3 months ahead THEN received the C & D notice.

Blizzards lawyers have teeth , like to fight and like to make the other side pay for their legal costs. They also have a history of winning multi-million dollar lawsuits and even going to the point of taking the trademark of botting software so that company can never make money off that bot again.

The Nost team closing down was the wisest decision for them - when there's an elite level mob with millions of HP gunning for you and your only a level 32 rogue the best decision is not to fight.
Oh come on Blizzard. There is a very BIG amount of people that want this, and that amount of people eclipses pretty much every MMO outside the top 3, and that's just those who's voiced wanting this - not taking into the account people who would come back and play but never signed that petition, or talked about it because they honestly thought it would never happen.
10/25/2016 01:23 AMPosted by Hellasha
10/25/2016 01:20 AMPosted by Muffinz

There is the reason we are even having this conversation. Blizz isn't worried that the legacy servers won't be successful. They're worried that they will be too successful. I think they've said as much over the years.

Or they're worried about losing money as they've stated more then once. Because their own research has shown the legacy servers of other companies haven't been very profitable.

You do realize old school runescape costs more money to play AND has more players than new runescape right?

http://www.misplaceditems.com/rs_tools/graph/

That graph shows daily player base. Blue line is old, yellow line is new.

Old Runescape costs $10 a month
New Runescape costs $8 a month
10/25/2016 01:02 AMPosted by Muffinz
How is it not a gain in profits? Like... The content is already developed. They have to pay to maintain a couple servers. If a few neckbeards managed to maintain it then it's kind of hard to argue that Blizzard couldn't.

Well the content is already developed...

But it was using a different patching method. Different data file format. Different login system. It also didn't have Authenticators.

Those previous systems could be recreated but the authenticators will need serious work done on the backend to connect vanilla up to battle.net so authenticators can be used.

I doubt Blizzard will go "here's vanilla guys. btw authenticators won't work when you log into to them so good luck being hacked. kk bai!"

Lastly the full Nost. team was 40 people plus 1000 bug reporters so no not a small team.

I understand the authentication concern but that leaves no room for them to have no transparency about such an concerning issue for a player driven game. What your stating could just be another excuse for Blizzards validation to not have this transparency. Their purposely tuned "under the rug" mentality when it comes to vanilla/classic servers.

Secondly you are beginning to sound like Blizzard has close to if not the same amount of resources at their disposal as a group of individuals who started a private server of a game from 2004? Not sure if i can agree.
10/25/2016 01:26 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
10/25/2016 01:02 AMPosted by Muffinz
How is it not a gain in profits? Like... The content is already developed. They have to pay to maintain a couple servers. If a few neckbeards managed to maintain it then it's kind of hard to argue that Blizzard couldn't.

Well the content is already developed...

But it was using a different patching method. Different data file format. Different login system. It also didn't have Authenticators.

Those previous systems could be recreated but the authenticators will need serious work done on the backend to connect vanilla up to battle.net so authenticators can be used.

I doubt Blizzard will go "here's vanilla guys. btw authenticators won't work when you log into to them so good luck being hacked. kk bai!"

Lastly the full Nost team was 40 people plus 1000 bug reporters so no not a small team.

I don't think anyone expects them to say "here guys the server is launching in a week, have fun". The issue is the lack of an answer. I would bet my life that they already have made up their minds if they are doing it or not. These non-answers are infuriating. Just say yes or no.
haveing no answer is extremely frustrating, I want to play Vanilla, but have nowhere to go. Will Nost reopen? no idea can i play there if they do? maybe but what if Blizz does release a server, then id have to restart? I want an answer so I know where I should be looking to play vanilla.
If there is one thing that is quickly turning me away from gaming as a hobby, it is the countless developers who implement changes based on things they want rather then things the player base wants.

As someone with their two BiS legendaries, i haven't seen a single person say they enjoy the legendary system. For every "Gratz" there is two "!@#$ yous" or "Why did he get one?" Or "Oh..second legendary while i dont have my first." Im not even gonna go into titanforging. But even though the overwhelming majority of the community hates this system and is verbal about it, the development team leaves it at "Working as intended."

This whole system revolving around keeping people running on their gear wheels like little hamsters is making people resent the game exponentially. If youre not going to listen to your playerbase for current content, ATLEAST give them previous content that takes minimal effort on your part before the numerous issues in the game at the moment were not implemented.
10/25/2016 01:28 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
If the servers were going to be closed because costs couldn't be met then obviously they weren't throwing enough money at them. Again this is all from others who have posted on these forums.

This is a misconception.

Blizzards lawyers have teeth , like to fight and like to make the other side pay for their legal costs. They also have a history of winning multi-million dollar lawsuits and even going to the point of taking the trademark of botting software so that company can never make money off that bot again.

The Nost team closing down was the wisest decision for them - when there's an elite level mob with millions of HP gunning for you and your only a level 32 rogue the best decision is not to fight.

One thing youre missing out here is the fact the playerbase is not on Blizzard's side on this one. If Nost comes back can Blizzard throw the book at them? Yeah, probably. But with the sheer amount of attention and hype that is surrounding this issue, that would be an incredibly unwise decision. Blizzard making themselves the bad guy and taking down Nost might solve their short term issues, but think of the outrage the community would have.
The best part of waking up, is legacy nerd tears in your cup.
10/25/2016 12:22 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
The signatures were to get Blizzard to notice. Given there has been

(a) 2 responses from J Allen Brack , Executive Producer and Vice President for World of Warcraft
(b) A visit to Blizzard from the Nost team
(c) A visit from an old member of the original wow dev team to Mike Morhaime

I would say Blizzard have certainly noticed.

Making any and all talk about how many signatures were valid & if they could be forged or not completely irrelevant.

Blizzard have sat up and taken notice which is what the entire point of the signatures was.

Pretty much what I ended up saying,lol
10/25/2016 01:52 AMPosted by Kahllul

This is a misconception.

One thing youre missing out here is the fact the playerbase is not on Blizzard's side on this one. If Nost comes back can Blizzard throw the book at them? Yeah, probably. But with the sheer amount of attention and hype that is surrounding this issue, that would be an incredibly unwise decision. Blizzard making themselves the bad guy and taking down Nost might solve their short term issues, but think of the outrage the community would have.

Sorry to break your heart, but the player base isn't on Nos side and majority of it hasn't never been.

Good riddance to their illegal server, and the waste of money people donated to it.
Nost likely will relaunch and then Blizzard sues them into the next decade.
10/24/2016 03:16 PMPosted by Archanfel
10/24/2016 03:05 PMPosted by Kezzik
Thanks for not listening to your community.

With that selfish entitled attitude, there's no wonder Blizzard doesn't want to listen.

It's not really selfish since he speaks about community. And don't say no wonder lol. Been playing this game for years and Blizzard never listens to us. May it be for PvP balance or anything. Blizzard only answer to Activision :)
Sorry to break your heart, but the player base isn't on Nos side and majority of it hasn't never been.

Good riddance to their illegal server, and the waste of money people donated to it.

If you spent literally two minutes reading comments on this post, youd see that there is a clear demand for it. To disagree with that statement would be simply ignorant.

As far as a "Waste of money". is giving money to something you ever want to support literally ever a waste of money? I would regret spending $60 on the new Call of Duty, far, far more than i would regret giving $60 to Nost if they go live again, even if they get shut down once more.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Dude you're a real idiot if you think anybody gave money to Nostalrius. The only thing that was paid for was the server fee. Which was about 500$ per month rent. Nothing crazy.
100% Volunteer work/Donations weren't even accepted, they openly said they wouldn't accept any donations. "illegal server" lol; Must be a terrible thing to do to enjoy a version of a game that isn't available officially. I guess playing on a server given to us on a silver plater for free was a great crime.
Get your head out of the sand man. Retail WoW hasn't been all that great for years. Sorry everybody doesn't enjoy it like you seem to do.
"Legacy tears" from your other comment. Well I don't think any of us would be crying unless Blizzard DID release Legacy. We're simply not surprised and our lives keep on going like they've been going after Nost shut down.

This is a misconception.

So... when it comes to legal action blizzard do pretty well it sounds, but when it comes to a few problems with implementing a legacy server that's where we draw the line. Pretty good company philosophy.
10/25/2016 01:52 AMPosted by Kahllul

This is a misconception.

It would be worse for them not to fight the IP theft. They aren't going to risk losing their trademarks/copyright just because it might anger a few players on their forums. Those of you in support of legacy servers don't the weight nor the importance you think you do.
Really think blizzard should come out with another Statement with a 100% answer, because people arn't going to wait, they will go else where. They don't trust you to say anything and for good reason. Come out and give an Answer, not a tease.
10/25/2016 01:46 AMPosted by Belars
haveing no answer is extremely frustrating, I want to play Vanilla, but have nowhere to go. Will Nost reopen? no idea can i play there if they do? maybe but what if Blizz does release a server, then id have to restart? I want an answer so I know where I should be looking to play vanilla.

If Nostalrius releases a server I recommend you to go play on it.
If it gets closed again; oh well, atleast you learned ways and strategies to quest faster
If Blizzard releases Legacy someday, go on the official one and Enjoy the feeling of starting fresh with everybody.
I promise you'll have a great time!
Alright let me post one last thing before I just leave this post forever xd

Nostalrius did not receive any donations from the playerbase. May it be to pay the server or simply donations to reward the team for their great job.
It was openly said in one of their forum post that the playerbase would have to organise themselves to pay the server fee. This is about a year after the initial launch which they were paying from their own pockets from the very beginning.

I feel the need to mention it because reading past comments I see many people sharing the idea that money passed through the fingers of the Nostalrius team. Never did never will (if they come back :D)