Classic Server Update

General Discussion
Prev 1 25 26 27 451 Next
10/24/2016 03:09 PMPosted by Urboybangs
Hey everyone,

You've been talking about legacy servers for years now but we're still not quite ready to even mention it yet at our one major event of the year.

Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you at BlizzCon even though we're blatantly ignoring the community that is quickly pulling away from our games!
Legion shot up to 10 million subs.

By the ay, no cvaing to your temper tantrums is not = ignorning you.
I've extended the cap on this thread.
This will be my last expansion blizz. Just isn't the same game any more.

At least you told us ahead of time. Now I don't need to invest myself in this company any more.
10/25/2016 08:44 AMPosted by Kaivax

Thanks Blue Space Marine.

just chiming in to say that I still dislike the apprehension towards Legacy from Blizzard. My childhood is in Vanilla and Wrath, and it is a shame to see that a potential business venture is still neglected.

I'd pay two subs for legacy, without a doubt. Easily.
Appreciate the heads up, Onyx, and thanks to Kaivax for extending the thread cap.

It's an unfortunate announcement all the way around. Whether you are for or against Legacy servers, the question is still lingering. While I personally support Legacy servers, I would have liked to have seen a definite "Yes" or "No" on the matter at some point. It comes across that the higher ups at Blizzard are just stringing this issue along.

It's also not as if this hasn't been a discussion that has only occurred recently, with the events involving a certain private server. The Wall of No has been around for years on these forums as a collage of Q&A's to this very topic that have been amassed over the years. There's no way the discussion didn't become even more ad nauseam after patch 4.0 revamped much old world Azeroth.

It's been discussed, it's been toyed with, you've had meetings about it, etc. How on earth has no one made a concrete decision on this over the course of years? It's not even unheard of. Other MMO's have done this practice as well. So, whether you decided to implement Legacy or not, it's not exactly uncharted territory for the MMO gaming industry.
10/25/2016 08:46 AMPosted by Pãws
This will be my last expansion blizz. Just isn't the same game any more.

At least you told us ahead of time. Now I don't need to invest myself in this company any more.

/wave
#legacy
"hey guys we wont be announcing anything until after Blizzcon"

"OMG BLIZZ WTF UNSUB YOUR COMPANY SUCKS YOU ARE IGNORING US"

like is everyone's reading comprehension that low or something
10/25/2016 08:44 AMPosted by Kaivax

Thank you! It really helps to have a post dedicated to this topic so we don't get trolled and downvoted to oblivion.
Before anyone calls me out for being a crybaby because I don't have 25 hours a week to plunge into this game -- I'm not asking them to change the livegame. It's a lot of fun! I just don't have time for it. And I have a very strong feeling I would enjoy playing on Legacy servers, because they were challenging from start to finish, whether I could play 10 hours a week, or 30. Not everyone enjoys older content more than the current content, we're not asking you to change your minds. We're asking you to consider the idea that we're not complete imbeciles, and just enjoy different things.

I've enjoyed much about Legion, even more than I thought I would at the outset, but I'm still craving the Legacy experience. I've found myself running out of time in my day to day life to keep up with the content flow of dedicated gameplay (again, really fun, just so much to do to stay competitive!), and casual play in the current build of the game makes me want to fall asleep tbh. Dropping my sub this month, don't really see myself coming back in the future. At least vanilla-WotLK was challenging even when playing casually. Just because I have a life outside of my video games doesn't mean I want to be bored to tears the few days a week I get to jump back into Azeroth.

It seems my only choice in the current build is to resign to heroic dungeon and LFR difficulty, simply because the alternative means grinding every dungeon every week in every mode in order to appease the RNG forging Gods while also raiding two nights a week, logging on to do dailies, spamming all the Nightfallen rep quests, and farming profession mats. That's not even mentioning the time I'd ideally like to spend just hanging out with friends and enjoying the world. Content nowadays seems like it's either total dedication or a dunce hat in the corner. And I'm sure there's a middle ground, but it feels like I'm performing badly in my raid groups due to stat losses because I don't sit and play this game every chance I get, even though I do complete a fair amount of content each week, I'm one of the best in my team at obeying mechanics, and I play my spec well.

I'm not asking for them to take much away from the live-gamers, but there's a vast community of people who would be overjoyed if there was a way they could play in their ideal fantasy setting. I wish they would at least address the demand for such a setting, and discuss it with the community, but I guess we'll have to wait until "after the show." Soon™
10/25/2016 08:56 AMPosted by Brokthal
It comes across that the higher ups at Blizzard are just stringing this issue along.

That's what they do. They don't announce stuff until they have something to announce. That's how its always been with this company. If people aren't hip to that by now, that's on them.
I've played since Vanilla. I do not understand the obsession with Classic Servers. All the old systems were awful compared to how things are now, why would anyone want to pay for that?
Coming with lame excuses, that your working on patch 7.1 or Legion! I am sure that not every soul in the entire team is working on Legion or Patch 7.1 or any further Content for the Future, and i am sure one or 2 ppl would be sufficient enough to work on the Legacy Servers, as ppl want to happen, Oh i forgot one more thing too, BlizzCon! that would be another Excuse that Blizzard likes to use. Either it cost too much money or not enough time in the world, or some other lame excuse that they want us to believe they're experiencing. I for one wouldn't mind experience the Classic Servers my Self, it was lots of Fun back then. I came back in Legion, even tho I enjoy Legion, but I'm taking a break from it, working on low level stuff, and all the changes they made to the lvling process and the somewhat nerfed abilities we get at lvl 1-10 or further on! So Blizz Quit Giving this Run Around, or Beating around the Bush, Give a Definite Answer, as someone said Above, Yes or Nay! And then You can Loose another 3mil Subs like you lost 8mil in Warlords! And the people have Spoken!
Good, as someone who did all of classic as it was fresh it is a supreme waste of time to go back so a pack of people who never touched it can goof with it for two months, realize it has next to no content worth doing (well, outside of the AQ40 and Naxx races), then stop.

It'd just lead to more and more wasted effort as, especially once paying customers are involved and not pirates, you'd have whining to frankenstein in more features, changes, etc. Especially as it ages and with the original honor system (which I got Marshal in, and was pure junk).

The only way I could see doing legacy servers would be as event servers that are for speed runs or something and wiped every 3-6 months. It'd be reasonable as a gimmick but don't waste money on people waxing nostalgia, because when it fades you're just left with wasted resources.
Just a different perspective, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that it's still deep in discussions. There could be several factors here that they wouldn't release, but just some things I know I'd be considering / analyzing/ discussing would be:

1.) What patch level are we going to go with? I.e. 1.4, 1.12, etc.
2.) Are we going to make this "legacy" in the fact that we just have pre-BC, or will it be progression, which means we now have multiple versions across different servers / etc.
3.) What is our pricing model? Is it independent of current WoW, is there a bundle discount, etc.
4.) How do we integrate architecture? i.e. Authenticator, Battle.net friends list, etc.

This isn't an extensive list by any means, but as a developer in an Agile environment, it's not unheard of for these decisions to take a while, especially when the customer (us in this case) all have different opinions of what it should be. Something I read earlier was that Nost was planning an AQ patch. I didn't look into how Nost was ran, but did they have different servers? If they didn't, what about those people who didn't want the AQ changes? If Nost had decided to go with BC, what then? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but these questions I don't believe should be taken lightly.
10/25/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Airea
Before anyone calls me out for being a crybaby because I don't have 25 hours a week to plunge into this game -- I'm not asking them to change the livegame. It's a lot of fun! I just don't have time for it. And I have a very strong feeling I would enjoy playing on Legacy servers, because they were challenging from start to finish, whether I could play 10 hours a week, or 30. Not everyone enjoys older content more than the current content, we're not asking you to change your minds. We're asking you to consider the idea that we're not complete imbeciles, and just enjoy different things.

You don't have "time" for legion, but think you will have time for vanilla?

L

O

L
10/25/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Derkholmes
It comes across that the higher ups at Blizzard are just stringing this issue along.

That's what they do. They don't announce stuff until they have something to announce. That's how its always been with this company. If people aren't hip to that by now, that's on them.

I'm well aware of the ever popular answer, "When it's done" or "When it's ready" coming from Blizzard. However, those answers are given to questions in regards to content that everyone already knows is coming. "When's patch X.Y going to launch?" "When is the expansion <INsert random title> going to launch?" Etc.

They can't even decide on whether or not they want to pursue this matter, despite how long the discussion has gone on.
I didn't know that Nostalrius was a thing until it hit the news that it was being taken down. It made me sad to have missed that boat. Vanilla wasn't perfect, but it was still a good; no, a great game. If it as simply 'good' it would have faded away after a few months, but it was great.

WoW at it's peak hit what? 10 million players? Even if only 1% truly enjoyed vanilla, that's still 100,000 players who would want to play on a classic server. 1% is a garbage number as well, otherwise WoW would died in vanilla if 99% of the players playing actually hated the game.

I find it rather sad and pathetic that a handful of people can run and maintain a classic server, but Blizzard with it's millions of dollars and huge breadth and width of talent can't; and instead give out nothing but excuses.
While I personally support Legacy servers, I would have liked to have seen a definite "Yes" or "No" on the matter at some point. It comes across that the higher ups at Blizzard are just stringing this issue along.

They've given a definitive no before, but that hasn't stopped the dead horse beatings. Last Blizzcon, I believe, someone asked and the answer was no.
I'm just happy Blizzard at least has some dialogue going on over the subject right now. Really would like to hear more but I don't mind waiting