PUG ilvl vs. playing ilvl

General Discussion
Who else on here has 2 sets of gear for pugs? One to put on to get onto the group and another to switch to at the start that is lower, but actually has the correct stats for your spec. It's funny how many more groups accept me when I show 858 vs 850.

The funny thing is, for DPS, after a certain point, it's more important to not screw up and/or die than it is to pull more numbers to get those extra chests.
I do.

I show em off a 863 ilvl and play a 860, cause it makes me a better tank.
There is no other way of judging player skill efficiently when you have so many dps trying to sign up for your group

How you expect them to judge other than ilvl?? by the time they look you up another 7 more will sign up and who knows good players may actually be taken up other groups before they can even figure it out
Why bother? Your ilvl counts what is in your bag. So just keep the higher ilvl stuff in your bag.
10/20/2016 11:11 AMPosted by Wariya
There is no other way of judging player skill efficiently when you have so many dps trying to sign up for your group

How you expect them to judge other than ilvl?? by the time they look you up another 7 more will sign up and who knows good players may actually be taken up other groups before they can even figure it out

Stats? Can't you inspect and see the actual gear?

Really, my point is that there is such an over-emphasis on the ilvl. I left a group this morning after 35 minutes as we were doing EoA +2 and were refusing all heals under 865. I'm sorry, but a decent healer in the 850 is fine for that run. I just think it goes a bit overboard.
If you have an 858 set, you will show up as 858 even if you are naked.

It's nice to see that confirmation bias is still going strong though.
10/20/2016 11:12 AMPosted by Altrius
Why bother? Your ilvl counts what is in your bag. So just keep the higher ilvl stuff in your bag.

No. It used to, but I clearly have 2 different scores when I switch gear.
10/20/2016 11:28 AMPosted by Smoothiè
10/20/2016 11:12 AMPosted by Altrius

No. It used to, but I clearly have 2 different scores when I switch gear.

When you apply for groups it displays your average item level, not equipped item level. Test is yourself. Have a friend create a group in group finder and apply for it.
10/20/2016 11:30 AMPosted by Jmo
When you apply for groups it displays your average item level, not equipped item level.

This. You see your equipped level but group leaders see your best in bag.

Using myself as an example, I am 869 but group leaders would see my maximum bag ilvl of 873.
10/20/2016 11:11 AMPosted by Wariya

But iLevel doesn't judge player skill. At all. Never has. Never will.

I just invite people FCFS. If you've got the minimum suggested ilevel, I'll give you a chance. And as long as A) you're not a jerk, B) you're not making the same mistakes over and over and over again, and C) bosses are dying, what's it matter?

I've been pleasantly surprised by more than a few "low ilevel" "wrong class" players. And unpleasantly disappointed by even more high ilevel good class players.