Xe'ra is the worst character

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
Maybe she really is a Legion plant. What if the entire deal with Rakeesh was to distract Valen? If anyone would have any idea that something may be off about Xe'ra it would be him. He hasn't had the chance to see or hear Xe'ra after she was awakened. With Velen preoccupied with preparing the Exodar to take the fight to Argus, Xe'ra can say anything without raising suspicion.
Far from being examples of good writing, I think the Blizzard team could have still learned something from the Riddick films. Just because a character is necessary to take down a greater evil, doesn't mean that they have to be considered good by the rest of the cast, or even be likable.

Xe'ra probably would have been a far more effective character going into the situation with an attitude more like considering Illidan a necessary evil. Instead, Blizzard's hamfisted attempts to foster sympathy towards these characters has backfired spectacularly.

They've reached BioWare levels of botched characterization.
10/06/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Howlback
Maybe she really is a Legion plant. What if the entire deal with Rakeesh was to distract Valen? If anyone would have any idea that something may be off about Xe'ra it would be him. He hasn't had the chance to see or hear Xe'ra after she was awakened. With Velen preoccupied with preparing the Exodar to take the fight to Argus, Xe'ra can say anything without raising suspicion.

That is a pretty interesting thought. There's also the fact that Gul'dan tells Cordana that Illidan would be our downfall.

10/06/2016 05:04 AMPosted by Arkbird
10/06/2016 03:44 AMPosted by Narmorcence
In general, I'd label it 'bad writing' because it uses poor writing techniques, such as 'informing the reader/viewer of their own experience.' In this case, telling us how we 'felt' or what we had 'in our hearts' for example.

This is what that guy from earlier (the one repeating "subjective, mate") fails to grasp.

"Bad writing" is not an attempt at passing off "I didn't like it" as fact. It is a legitimate academic term that refers to provable technical problems with literary composition. Problems like "telling rather than showing" and "not knowing the difference between your and you're."

It's a term that experts in the field of literature (writers, directors, teachers) have spent thousands of years hammering out, only for some 15-year-old born in the 21st century to dismiss all of that as:

"Well that's just, like, your opinion. My Naruto fanfic where the characters swear in all caps and have none of their original personality quirks is totally as good as Citizen Kane because in my opinion it is."

Apparently quaint little concepts like "expertise" and "qualification" don't matter anymore. Maybe 2 + 2 really can equal 5 after all. Someone out there has that opinion, and you'd damned well better respect it!

This!!

I luv you too!. In fact I love like 80% of this thread.

10/06/2016 08:35 AMPosted by Atanae
"Would you have done any differently?"

Yes, Xe'ra. Yes I would have, seeing as I am not a egomaniac with a messianic complex.

Xe'ra: Well you know what? sociopaths are cool and you're not! case closed! *throws herself on the floor crying*.
10/06/2016 05:48 AMPosted by Gwendi
10/06/2016 05:32 AMPosted by Honeymoon
It's pretty clear that Blizzard saw the "floating in space, talking to a giant crystal about a prophesied savior of both light and darkness" cutscenes in FFXIV and decided that they should just poach that storyline (and actual cutscenes) and throw their own version of it into this game, even if it makes no sense and pretty much comes out of nowhere in WoW's universe.

Alternatively, Xe'ra's true form could be that of the slightly naaru-esque raid boss Xera from GW2:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/8/8f/Xera.jpg
It's actually worse than that. Xe'ra is to Legion what Tassadar was to Starcraft 2. Goes around telling us that evil thing was really good and it ends with the anti-hero/villain getting turned into a space angel.

...Wait so are we basically just rehashing starcraft II's ending...for warcraft's ending?
10/06/2016 09:00 AMPosted by Alisiaa
10/06/2016 05:48 AMPosted by Gwendi
...It's actually worse than that. Xe'ra is to Legion what Tassadar was to Starcraft 2. Goes around telling us that evil thing was really good and it ends with the anti-hero/villain getting turned into a space angel.

...Wait so are we basically just rehashing starcraft II's ending...for warcraft's ending?

"See, we just took the existing script, then did a find/replace for Amon/Sargeras, Kerrigan/Illidan, and Korpulu sector/Azeroth."

"Is that why in the PTR Khadgar is talking about the Xel'Naga?"

"...is this going to affect my raise?"
10/06/2016 07:42 AMPosted by Mablun
Illidan would be a perfect subject to document tensile strength of fel-tainted NE flesh via draw-and-quarter...You know, for science. While we're at it, make a bunch of micro-incisions on Xe'ra to bleed it of its energy and derive from that a timeline for naaru corruption.

I've been wanting to attempt an experiment ever since Xe'ra started talking. There are still details to be worked out, but here's the general plan:

It's known that Naaru eventually progress into a Void God form at some point in their lifespan. This can also happen when the Naaru has taken significant damage. (See: K'ure, K'ara, S'aara)

This is their natural prgression and I, as a Shadow Priest, would prefer if that transition could be achieved faster.

It is also known that the Old Gods are servants of the Void, and are capable of spreading their corruption.

My experiment will involve applying physical force to a Naaru (in this first test, Xe'ra), using an instrument of the Old Gods (in this test, the blade Xal'atath).

This will improve our understanding of Naaru physiology and evolution through artificial selection. in addition this will remove any doubt that Xe'ra is an agent of one of our enemies (because if we know she is now definitely corrupted by the Void, we know what to expect). As far as there being a non-scientific benefit of this experiment, I am sure that there are many individuals that would find amusement/enjoyment at seeing the experiment in progress.

----------------------------
Essentially... I want to stab the frigging self-righteous glowstick with my dagger.
Heed our words Mortals. The age of Darkness is nearing its full unveiling. We will blacken your skies with the wrath of the Void! Our presence will haunt your nightmares. The Legion will unwillingly open the gateway for our return And you will know, who truly is holds the fate of your world. This "Savior's" return will spell certain doom for the Dark Titan. The vessel will pave the way for us.

Xe'ra knows your lust for knowledge. Her whispers are tainted echoes of deception. Yet, you continue to listen to her poisonous tongue. The light. Cannot. Help. You.

Il'flkk kfyyiz twilkxxi kl'zik n'zak Ank Un!
10/06/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Voidwhsprs
Xe'ra knows your lust for knowledge.

I lust for my wife

Her whispers are tainted echoes of deception. Yet, you continue to listen to her poisonous tongue

I just laugh at her

The light. Cannot. Help. You.

Don't worry, I'm a mage!
The Holy Windchime, I've only done the quest on one alt, doing it on the other three would be a torture... plus non skipable cut scenes?! NO THANKS!

I'd rather have Navi than Xe'ra, and I've only spoken to the latter ONCE.

Hey, listen!
10/06/2016 03:57 AMPosted by Reinhilde
I still hold to my belief that Xe'ra is Elune.

She's been watching the Night Elves like Illidan.

Velen believed Elune was a Naaru.

Xe'ra is the original "Prime" Naaru.

Elune created the Naaru based on Khadgar's comments about the Tear of Elune, and Velen's comments stated that the other Naaru all descended from Xe'ra. (about why O'ros was so important, as he was the last *Direct* descendant of her)

So, it goes to reason: Xe'ra is Elune. She's leading the Army of Light out in space, but knows there's a battle for the titan on Azeroth that will shape the battle for the universe, and has been lending her powers to the inhabitants of the world, knowing that they will be the ones to either doom the universe, or save it.

Plus, her core is called "Light's Heart" - The Light of Elune is a very very common theme.

10/06/2016 02:41 AMPosted by Vandriella
Okay, just to make sure I'm caught up:

1. This prime Naaru core mysteriously shows up in the middle of a Legion invasion.
2. The Legion kills the one Naaru left alive that can unlock it and allow us to commune with the prime Naaru.
3. It is stated that it's now impossible to ever again communicate with this prime Naaru.
4. Vision from prime Naaru randomly appears in our heads anyway and starts talking about how super special awesome this nutbar half-demon tyrant was and how we need to repent for overthrowing him a decade ago under the direction of literally every other Naaru and liberating what was left of an entire planet in the process.
5. Said half-demon tyrant's body is now in the hands of the Legion, who have Big Plans for it.

So... Dreadlord? Yeah, dreadlord.

....or read the quests? We can talk to her because Khadgar gets the idea that we use the Tear of Elune to try to communicate with her, because it was said that Elune created the Naaru. It worked.

Based on what she's saying, it sounds like she's out in space, and she's communicating to us through the core, which I'm guessing is more of one of the crystals that floats around her, and not really her life core. Lol.

Sentience core.

The part of her we have is described in canon as her "sentience core".

If you picked a part of the humanoid body to call a "sentience core" it would be the "brain."

Her mind is not out in space, it's right friggin there.
the thing that creeps me out the most about it is how androgynous it sounds... it sounds like "All" - Benedict Cumberbatch's character in Zoolander 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcXub03xZWA
10/05/2016 08:42 PMPosted by Ulfalnar
10/05/2016 08:37 PMPosted by Averyx
Nah mate, there are some things that are objectively good and bad writing. On this case, using a literal deity to spin a character into a tragic gary stu is definitely objectively bad writing and I usually defend Blizz.

...but I don't have a problem with it so it's not 'bad' for me.

Subjective...mate.

He's not saying the content is good or bad, he's saying that the method of storytelling being used here is bad. Content aside, you cannot have a user interactive story where you tell the characters exactly how things are with no wiggle room. This is right, you were wrong, accept that, change everything you know and have accomplished to this point to fit inside this module.

That's bad writing.

If you took a writing class, this is something on the "Don't Do" list.
10/05/2016 06:30 PMPosted by Eielody
He's...he's Spawn

Good one. I laughed at that.

Well done.
at this point, i trust Xal'atath more than Xe'ra, and she's an ancient artifact of pure evil
10/06/2016 04:37 PMPosted by Lavinnelly
at this point, i trust Xal'atath more than Xe'ra, and she's an ancient artifact of pure evil

Xal'atath isn't stupid, either.
I just find it a little odd that a naaru told us to kill Illidan and now another naaru is making us feel bad about it and telling us how special and great Illidan is even though he killed loads of innocent people.

Just a LITTLE odd.
We'll finally know Xe'ra is working for the Legion when it starts having us "prep" Illidan's body.

Xe'ra: "You have redeemed yourself! You've reclaimed Illidan's body, and now we can begin the work of rejoining it with his soul."

Champion: "Okay. What do I have to do?"

Xe'ra: "First, find a pit lord. Sever its head and then let its blood drip into into Illidan's mouth. Second, you'll need to find an innocent, preferably a baby of some kind. Cut out its heart and set it on Illidan's chest. Finally, you'll need to vanquish one of the Ancient Wild Gods OR a non-corrupted Titan keeper. The purity of their power is necessary to ensure that Illidan remains whole."

Champion: "Sounds good! Be right back." *murder murder murder* "Here's all the stuff you need."

Xe'ra: "If I had hands, I'd be rubbing them together right now."
considering the naaru can be corrupted by the void lords and turn "evil" i think Xe'ra is actually being manipulated by the void lords. thats why its a complete 180 from other naaru personality.

also from the theories from the quotes from the corrupted tree boss in emerald nightmare Xe'ra is moving to kill illidan to release the old Gods.

next xpac chaseing down Xe'ra killing her and fughing the Old Gods.
I had to Wowhead her name to even remember who this is, that's how terrible the character is.