Why would we want to see Weird Al?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
10/27/2016 06:27 PMPosted by Grimmoch
Not hating on the guy, I enjoyed his stuff as a kid, but parody music isn't interesting once you are over the age of fourteen.

Last time I looked it up, only about 25% of Al's stuff are parodies although they are what you usually hear.

Al is basically my age and I've been listening to him since we were both teenagers and he was sending in stuff to Dr. Demento.

Musicianship-wise, he's top notch. I mean, he's a really outstanding musician.

Showmanship? Man... some of you are going to be surprised when you see him live for the first time.

Personal-wise? I dig the guy. He's smart -- was his HS Valedictorian and has a degree in architecture. He's a vegan. Has his own personal sense of style. "Weird Al" may be a construct but it's an ethical one and one he holds true to. He has made a career doing what he wants, how he wants, and holding up his ideals which include clean living and being family friendly.
The man is a national treasure.
I can't wait to see him perform. If he doesn't open with "White and Nerdy," I am going to be pissed!!
I would go if I could just to see Weird Al.
Cant say that for any band they have had in the past.
10/27/2016 06:04 PMPosted by Madcowkillar
i cant imagine this is going to be anything but utterly disappointing. so glad i didnt plan to spend hundreds of dollars going this year. its just a terrible idea. weird al isnt even funny anymore. whos next?....... i was going to put another terrible example of a perosn who hasnt been relevant or entertaining in 20+ years but honestly i cant think of anyone as bad as weird al...... bring on the downvotes from 10 years olds.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjKcDwkxiw
i cant imagine this is going to be anything but utterly disappointing. so glad i didnt plan to spend hundreds of dollars going this year. its just a terrible idea. weird al isnt even funny anymore. whos next?....... i was going to put another terrible example of a perosn who hasnt been relevant or entertaining in 20+ years but honestly i cant think of anyone as bad as weird al...... bring on the downvotes from 10 years olds.....

Why in Gods name wouldn't you want to see Weird Al? Weird Al's last album Mandatory Fun, came out just a few years ago and was the best selling comedy album of the last fifty years and his best selling album. In fact there is a song on that album you could learn from called Word Crimes. You don't get to call people 10 year old kids when you spell like one.
10/27/2016 06:09 PMPosted by Krysh
OP wanted Taylor Swift

Who doesn't!
10/27/2016 07:02 PMPosted by Cihys
10/27/2016 06:27 PMPosted by Grimmoch
Not hating on the guy, I enjoyed his stuff as a kid, but parody music isn't interesting once you are over the age of fourteen.

Last time I looked it up, only about 25% of Al's stuff are parodies although they are what you usually hear.

Al is basically my age and I've been listening to him since we were both teenagers and he was sending in stuff to Dr. Demento.

Musicianship-wise, he's top notch. I mean, he's a really outstanding musician.

Showmanship? Man... some of you are going to be surprised when you see him live for the first time.

Personal-wise? I dig the guy. He's smart -- was his HS Valedictorian and has a degree in architecture. He's a vegan. Has his own personal sense of style. "Weird Al" may be a construct but it's an ethical one and one he holds true to. He has made a career doing what he wants, how he wants, and holding up his ideals which include clean living and being family friendly.

You don't get out much, do you?
10/27/2016 07:12 PMPosted by Grimmoch
You don't get out much, do you?

No... no I don't :p

But I've been an "CPFOA" (close personal friend of Al - his fan club) for years and have seen him several times, only taking my son twice.

My hubby long ago accepted the fact that before him, Al was my perfect guy. I'm glad he finally did find a nice lady to marry. Both my hubby and Al :p
10/27/2016 06:09 PMPosted by Greery
As long as he makes an attempt to make jabs at Blizzard/Activision I think it will be an amazing show.

I sure hope he makes a song about Suramar. Call it "An Illusion! What are you hiding?"
are you high?!?! weird al is an awesome pick up for a blizzcon.
Weird Al has ridiculous staying power for a musician, sometimes even outlasting the other people whose works he parodied.

Not only that, but he is quite the performer, his performance should be quite a spectacle.

I remember watching some WoW music videos using some of his songs when I first starting playing.
I never listened to his music before. So to prepare myself I YouTubed his concert and not trying to say he sucks but I'll be avoiding the closing concert. Blizzard you really let me down.
We disagree on much as a community, but I think we can come together on one thing.

OP deserves to be downvoted into oblivion.
I always been a Weird AL fan. He is the only reason I even bothered listening to any other music other than classical or early rock and roll.

Been to one of his concerts and loved it. I would not go to a modern music band if you paid me. but Let Al sing it his way I would love it.
10/27/2016 06:12 PMPosted by Exarc
Wierd Al is a freaking genius. Guy has been making music for 30+ years, and still keeps on going. Funny, artful, talented. I have nothing but mad respect for Wierd Al.

This. He hasn't lost his edge at all either.

Mandatory Fun was an amazing album. This list of musicians who can go as strong as Weird Al has for over 30 years is incredibly small.
Probably not a popular view, but oh well.

I thought he was flippin' hilarious and funny as hell about oh 25 years ago. Nowadays, I hear a song come on and skip it or change the channel. He just annoys me more than amuses me any more.
10/27/2016 06:08 PMPosted by Tannik
You have no idea how big an entertainer the guy was in the day. Hey you might actually enjoy it.

QQ more and maybe Blizz might hire BoBo the Clown for you in a separate room ?

you sir win the internet prize for quote of the day, lol!

The choice of who does the closing for them is a clue to the kind of content the show they'll be putting on will have.

This year it will be parody & sarcasm all around.
10/27/2016 06:07 PMPosted by Bovinew
Weird Al is awesome.

...I said exactly this when I saw the thread title. And then I scrolled down.

<3 you're damn right he's awesome.