How many hours= casual?

General Discussion
I see people say that they pop 4-5 hours a day on a game (not only in wow) and then refer to themselves as casual.

I mean i play 2-4 and i don't consider myself casual, i'm invested.

When most people say casual are they refering to their playtime? Or just the way they play in a non competetive way, because i honestly feel like pouring enough weekly hours into a game to have an additional part time job, is in no means "casual" amounts of playtime.

I don't judge, i do it to, but lets not lie to ourselves here, unless we're talking about the way we play...then yeah i got nothing against that.
Average 20hrs 7 day week for me equals a casual. well thats how many i put in
If you base it around time played per week, most "casuals" are on more than most "hardcore" raiders. I think it is more around the preferred difficulty of content. I am a casual but I am on for 7 hours a day to help people gear up, farming mats and running peeps through mythic+'s.
10/11/2016 09:11 AMPosted by Keldeshai
If you base it around time played per week, most "casuals" are on more than most "hardcore" raiders. I think it is more around the preferred difficulty of content. I am a casual but I am on for 7 hours a day to help people gear up, farming mats and running peeps through mythic+'s.

This mostly.

Being 'casual' is more about preferred content than time played. Casuals pretty much don't raid, do 5 man dungeons (maybe) as their end game content and despise any rewards in game that excludes this type of game play. They tend to play what feels fun and often ignore conventional wisdom as to 'proper' play of their characters. Oh, and they tend to NOT frequent the forums and usually accept the game the way it is flaws and all.

Hardcores on the other hand mostly just raid or PvP or both. They tend to be min/max tinkerers when it comes to their characters and generally despise anything casual, especially any in game rewards that they feel should be exclusive to being hardcore. Oh, and they are the most frequent posters in the forums and the quickest to point out what they see as flaws in the game.

Yeah, and i've actually.seen people refer to themselves as "hardcore" and all they do is hop on to their toons (that they probably did spend a lot of time gearing hardcore-like tbh)and do a 3-4 hour heroic raid 1 or 2 times a week then go do other stuff in life

If you're playing the game 7 hours each day, you're not a causal player.
I'm only at 2 days played at level 110. :(

WTB more time to play.
10/11/2016 09:07 AMPosted by Xatsu
I see people say that they pop 4-5 hours a day on a game (not only in wow) and then refer to themselves as casual.

Casual or Hardcore isn't about how many hours you play really. It is how you play. A casual will play the game as it comes and doesn't focus on being the top player in any activity. They will play different activities as it suits them. Enjoying the game is the key here.

A hardcore player is all about progression. Go Go Go... They have to get things done as quickly as possible. Enjoyment of the content is secondary as long as they are the best they can be.

I consider myself pretty casual. I might play for 15-30 minutes a day for many days. I might not even log in for several days in a row. Then one Saturday, I'll play ten hours. That time will be spent leveling an Alt, doing world quests, doing professions, going back to Draenor so alts can finish that content, etc...
10/11/2016 09:24 AMPosted by Obamanite

Meh, disagree. Time played has little to do with one being casual versus hardcore IMHO.
It's not about hours it's about how dedicated you are to the game.

I play several hours a day most days and I still consider myself casual because I'm not in an active guild, I don't do organized group content, I don't do rated pvp, and I have no problem not logging in for days at a time.

I play WoW when I have nothing better to do, I never schedule my day around playing the game, I never make WoW a priority in my day to day life, and I never feel like I have to log in at a certain time of day or day of the week, that's what makes me a casual player, I don't take the game seriously.
There's an unfortunate common misconception now that hardcore people are on "all the time", which simply isn't true as the expansion goes on.

I consider myself a progression raider, but not hardcore. I play a couple hours a day when I have time.

The thing is, we tend to be more efficient than a more casual player. We run with similar minded people so our dungeons tend to be a lot shorter, we do our WQ's quickly to get them done, then we raid, then we are done until the next raid.

I can probably accomplish in 2 hours what it takes a more casual player 4-5 hours to do. Does that make me a casual? No. That also doesn't make that person hardcore because they really don't accomplish much.

Being logged on doesn't mean you are using your time wisely.
You either raid on a consistent schedule or you don't raid on a consistent schedule. All other definitions are meaningless.
Honestly to me casual is someone who does not partake in Mythic Raiding or serious Rated PvP.

Not about how much time you invest, but about pushing the real end game progression.

But we can always define casual in our own ways of course. That is my way.
Agreed with others here, it's more about the type of content you play than the amount of hours. I know people who play for 3-4+ hours a day and never move past LFR/LFD. On the other side, I have friends who can only play 10-15 hours a week but are pushing Mythic+ the entire time.
10/11/2016 09:24 AMPosted by Obamanite

I wouldn't call myself anything but. Me and my friends just raid normal and we usually only can get to +4 in mythic+, save for a few of our higher skilled folks.
Id say if you average about an hour or two a day (or less), youre casual. 4-6 hours is just normal. More than that per day is hardcore IMO (or just unemployed, single, with no dependents).

Thing is the games have changed a lot. 12+ years ago raids that took all day werent that uncommon. Hell, leveling took months. You really couldnt get much of anything done in an hour like today where you can gain at least a level or two or go up a few ilvls in that time.
10 hours a day.
I'd say the activities time is spent on matters more than the time itself. Would you say a guy who spends like often 6 hours fishing or something is less casual than a guy who comes on 2-3 hours at a time for raiding or rated bgs?
10/11/2016 09:07 AMPosted by Xatsu

I mean i play 2-4 and i don't consider myself casual, i'm invested.

When most people say casual are they refering to their playtime? Or just the way they play in a non competetive way, because i honestly feel like pouring enough weekly hours into a game to have an additional part time job, is in no means "casual" amounts of playtime.

I don't judge, i do it to, but lets not lie to ourselves here, unless we're talking about the way we play...then yeah i got nothing against that.

The best definition I ever heard was this. "Anyone who plays less than me is a lazy casual, anyone who plays more has no life"